Did I get taken at LGS ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gb3

Bearcat
just brought home this BH serial 30-38xxx Was actually just picking up another gun and saw this thing with 3 screws and might have got a little too quick on the trigger. No box or papers just marked 1970 Blackhawk .357 $550 so I grabbed it. Got home cleaned it up everything seemed solid until looked and saw those little rings inside cylinders and sure enough is 9mm. Does anyone know maybe if this was originally convertible and best place to find a replacement .357 cylinder ? Saw one on GB for $175. Is that fair price.

gb3

Bearcat
Sorry forgot the pics. It's really clean for its age. Not quite sure about these grips but can always change those

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 235
You did great, probably could turn a profit on GunBroker flipping it. $175 is a decent price for the cylinder, they come up on Ebay occasionally as well. Make sure you get one that is for an old model as the fitting is different. Also, there's no guarantee that the timing will be correct. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You may need the help of a gunsmith to get it timed.

Another option is to send it to Ruger for a new cylinder, but if this doesn't have a transfer bar in it, they will put one in for you. They will send the original parts back, but you have to decide if you want to bother with that.

Finally, you could check with Borchardt Rifle Company, they make after-market cylinders, but last I checked they were so backlogged they were no longer taking orders.

Hope that helps!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
They will send the original parts back, but you have to decide if you want to bother with that.
Usually ... but I would not risk it. $175 is more than I have ever spent on a cylinder but Blue Bell is $8 per container now. The old model 9mm cylinder is worth more than the .357 cylinder I'd bet. Unsure on Blackhawks, but three-screw Single Sixes have a slightly shorter cylinder than the new model. Might need to brush up on identifying skills.

Hankus

Blackhawk
It's worth every penny for $550, as a shooter if nothing else. eBay is a good resource for cylinders if you're patient, but $175 is a fair price on GB. Congratulations on your find!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

First off,,,, GREAT snag.

As a few have mentioned,, it should be a "convertible" model, with a .357 cylinder to go along with it. Once you get a few more posts around this Forum,, you could place a WTB ad for a replacement.
A .357 replacement should actually be in the $125-$150 range. The .9mm brings more. And yes,, you want an "Old Model" cylinder. That gun was built in 1970. The missing cylinder should have the same or slightly longer OAL to where it'll fit your gun. (If a little long,, it can easily be honed down.)
If Ruger builds you a spare cylinder,, it'll cost more than buying a used one in general,, AND yes,, they will do the safety conversion,, IF,, IF,, it hasn't already been done.
Just make sure it's an OM cylinder,, as the difference is in the length of the cylinder boss.
As for timing,, in general,, it'll time right up. But always have it checked FIRST.

G2

Hunter
You did good, and look on the bright side, the 9mm cylinder is the harder one one to find…
and with the prices of 9mm ammo dropping fast,,, definitely the cheaper ammo to shoot.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Ya know, unless you need another .357 revolver for some reason You could just leave it as it is.
Great chance to explore the 9mm in a Blackhawk thing many seem to enjoy.
Try reloading with standard .357 bullets if they fit in the throats.
Also, if the shop sold it as a 357 they might just give you a little "kickback" to keep you happy.
Might go a little ways towards sourcing a cylinder.

ammo dave

Bearcat
Ordered a .357 Blackhawk thru the Bx when I was stationed in Canada in the early 70s. It arrived marked as a .357 but when i took it to the Canadian Forces range I discovered it had a 9mm cylinder. I was going to return it but a CF friend gave me a can of CF ammo (940rds) so I just kept it. When I returned to the states I got a .357 cylinder. I still have it. BX price in 1971 was about $75.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Those faux stag are actually kinda 1950s-60s classic!

Question is "Are YOU satisfied? with the purchase?"

I would shop around after checking cylinder length and get a 357 cylinder "just 'cuz!"

What does the frame say as to caliber?

hittman

Staff member
If you inspected it AFTER you got it home ….. hard to say you got "taken".

But ….. still think it's a good deal for the money.

Looks like it has been converted based on the top of the hammer, conversion parts to take it back to the original action will cost about as much as that cylinder you mentioned, I would rather have it the original action in 9MM myself…YMMV.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
These days it's worth more than that as a 9mm than a .357

I'd have paid $550 knowing it was a 9mm in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even bother trying to fit a .357 cylinder to it, just use it as a plinker.

black1970

Blackhawk
Speaking of cylinders try buying one in stainless for a 22 mag single Six. Found one on a junk table at a gun show a few months ago for 90 bucks. Less than half price. BTW it fell right in, no fitting. Works perfect.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
Try contacting someone at the larger custom smiths. I've found cylinders for sale from Bowen, Reeder, Linebaugh (Dustin now that we've lost John),JRH, etc.. Fermin Garza has helped me find a couple too and often had what I needed already, plus his sights are awesome.