Chronometer Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
I ordered an f1 and a tri-pod. For starters, how far should the pistol (357 sp101-2) muzzle be from the chrono? Should I plan to start with one distance and change it?

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Jack

I just stick with 10 feet for both handguns and long guns. Generally put a target up at either 25 yds or 50 yds, and carefully align the chrony and the shooting rest, for both windage and elevation, with the target. I look to align the center of the "V" as close as possible to give myself a bit of wiggle room .... and there's not just a whole lot of real estate in that "V" to work with. After a while you gain enough confidence with the set up that you will actually be able to concentrate on the sights and target so as to have useful data on the other end of your ballistics study. As long as you don't change that magic point in space intended to be occupied by the center of your bore at the bench.

The reason I generally stick to the 10' minimum distance is because I'm currently hooked on playing with the .44 mag loads. The "blast effect" has caused me some error messages when I had the screens closer.

Just my experiences, for what it's worth.

jd

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
mswill said:
Don't have a chrono myself, but have been intrigued with this one for the simplicity. Would need to see some owner reviews though.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I've had the V2 for a couple of years now. I've been very happy with it. A big pro on the pros/cons list is that I can use it at an indoor pistol range:
1. No cease fire needed
2. Someone in the next lane can't shoot it
3. Lighting is not an issue
4. Set up is about a minute: get out the bayo and strap it on the barrel.

Also, I don't need a "range" to get muzzle velocities. Since the sensor is attached to the barrel, I can just go out back and fire into the ground.

The version I have won't do semi-auto pistols and it needs about 5 inches of barrel to work on a revolver. You also can only measure muzzle velocity. You can't set it up downrange.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Iron Mike Golf said:
mswill said:
Don't have a chrono myself, but have been intrigued with this one for the simplicity. Would need to see some owner reviews though.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I've had the V2 for a couple of years now. I've been very happy with it. A big pro on the pros/cons list is that I can use it at an indoor pistol range:
1. No cease fire needed
2. Someone in the next lane can't shoot it
3. Lighting is not an issue
4. Set up is about a minute: get out the bayo and strap it on the barrel.

Also, I don't need a "range" to get muzzle velocities. Since the sensor is attached to the barrel, I can just go out back and fire into the ground.

The version I have won't do semi-auto pistols and it needs about 5 inches of barrel to work on a revolver. You also can only measure muzzle velocity. You can't set it up downrange.

That's pretty neat, I never saw one of those before. I guess I'm not all up on everything new :( . I would like to know how well it works with the rail adapter for a semi-auto pistol. I guess I have some researching to do but I am happy with my current one even with it's limits in an indoor range.