308 ammo recommendations for Ruger gunsite scout

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Puffnesspuff

Bearcat
It has the 18 inch barrel. I wanted to take it to the range to become proficient with it. Eventually do some hunting, but for now learn how to put steel on target. Have not consistently fired a weapon since my military days long ago, 91-97.

Thanks all for any input. Ammo sources also helpful. I have looked at midway, cheaper than dirt and a couple others.

Best,

Patrick

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm not gonna be any help as I reload. I'd suggest that in reloading,,, you use the faster burning powders listed for the .308.
And besides,,, my Ruger Scout is still NIB!

Puffnesspuff

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm not gonna be any help as I reload. I'd suggest that in reloading,,, you use the faster burning powders listed for the .308.
And besides,,, my Ruger Scout is still NIB!

A safe queen, eh?

wizofwas

Buckeye
Since every weapon is different, you might get lucky and find that a cheap ammo will work better than an expensive ammo. As was mentioned before, the 168 grain boat tail is pretty much the standard for accuracy in the 308. I also don't recommend Russian or Chinese ammo.
Reloading is the way to go. You can tweak the loads till you get them right for your weapon. If you think that you might want to start reloading, don't forget to save your brass.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I always like Federal for the price/quality. Power-Shok, Vital-Shok or Fusion all reasonably priced and Premium Gold Medal for long range would be my choices. Be sure to save the brass. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&dimensionids=4294846234&newcategorydimensionid=15958&searchscope=all

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
Please don't start handloading... I'm having a bear of a time trying to find powder as it is!
All joking aside, handloading and shooting are two hobbies that feed off of each other. It's really satisfying seeing your capabilities meet downrange.
It seems that as you get better at one, you'll get better at the other! Have fun, and be safe!!!

m657

Buckeye
handloading is to rifle shooting as tying flies is to fly fishing.....you can avoid it for a while but eventually the practicality and additional interest in the hobby will modify your behavior

My Scout hardly ever fired a factory round.

Puffnesspuff

Bearcat
Think I am going to go with SSA 168gr HPBT. Little over 22 bucks at Cheaper than dirt. Figure Ill pick up 100 rounds. For sure I will save the brass. I would like to learn to handload down the road. Rifle is supposed to arrive tomorrow at the FFL.

Thanks for all the input.

Patrick

loaded round

Hunter
FWIW, I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry 308-SRC rifle (AR-10 style rifle) in 308Win with a 16'' bbl. but with the same twist as your Ruger. I've been working up loads for my new carbine and so far the most accurate load I've found has been the Sierra 168 gr Match King with 44.5 gr Varget in LC match cases with Win LR primers. I'm getting 1'' 3 shot groups @100 yds. with this combo. I will be trying H4895 next for accuracy, but I do have a large quantity of Varget and want to use that powder. Hope this info helps.

m657

Buckeye
I've loaded some 150 spitzer FMJ with a variety of recipes.

They all seem to love the 200 yard gong. Haven't had time to put it on paper at any distance yet though.

If the 25 yard sighters are any indicator, I'm gonna be real satisfied with this Scout.

Temporarily I'm trying out an EER Weaver 2-7x32 cheapier China scope. The forward mount glass seems to work very well for me despite limited rifle exposure.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
None of my .308`s have EVER fired a factory load since leaving the factory.
Every one I have ever fired loves the 168 gr. HPBT bullet over 44 gr. Varget.
While not a hot load, they are super accurate.

I bought some Norma when Midway had it on sale. This has their Oryx bullet in 165 and 180. These shoot very good in all three of my 308's.
Cheap Remington CoreLokts shoot well in most guns I've used them in, although these are my reloads.