Factory 30 30 Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pierow

Blackhawk
I tried searching here first but did not have much luck. Not really good at that but I did go through 40 plus pages and only found re-loading information on 30 30. I am looking for some recommendations regarding a good factory 30 30 round for a Winchester 94, post 1964 model if that is important.

I'll mostly be punching paper with it but if I do get a chance to hunt I don't see myself taking any shots past 150 yards or so using the iron sights. Would be nice if there are some choices that would suffice in either case. If any of you have some ideas as to what factory ammunition I should try and why I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks folks, Pierow

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

This is just a stab at it, Pierow, as neither of the .30-30s that have lived here (a post-'64 M-94 and a Marlin 336) have seen a factory round in my hands. However, in a couple of other calibers, I've found the Winchester White Box and Remington UMC (yellow box) to be good "general purpose" ammo.

150 and 170 gr bullets are what you're gonna find most of in factory loads. I load 150s in jacketed, 170s in lead, while my brother in law prefers 170 jacketed (for his Model 94 AE Ranger.)

Iron sights should be ok to 100 yds or so, "minute of Bambi" as some describe, depending on your eyes. If you're gonna be stretching that to 150 or so, you might want to think about a scope. If your M94 is "pre" angle eject, a receiver peep sight is a good in between choice as the scope mounting's a bit awkward on the top eject model. A lot of folks will tell you the old "truism" that the .30-30 isn't good past 150 yds. I don't think it's the cartridge as much as the rifle and sights being used that have been the limiting factor for decades.

The Hornady folks disagree w/ that limitation, too. They've developed a line of ammo called Lever Evolution which uses a plastic pointed bullet, specially designed to be used in tubular magazines (that's always been a huge safety NO NO w/ other pointed bullets) that runs a bit faster than most factory loads. I haven't shot any yet, but the BIL tried a box when they first came out. He was worrying the range's 200 yd gong (w/ glass on his '94) just fine and killed it several times after a handful of "sighters." IIRC, it was about 12" square. Hornady says it's a good hunting load to 200--a bit pricey for killing paper, though!

Good luck!

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like the Federal Power-Shok 150gr or the 170gr. I shoot it then re-load it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&dimensionids=4294846234&newcategorydimensionid=15902&searchscope=all

cbass

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
I like the Federal Power-Shok 150gr or the 170gr. I shoot it then re-load it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&dimensionids=4294846234&newcategorydimensionid=15902&searchscope=all

+1

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm a Federal guy too. My present post-64, plain-Jane, (top eject) Winchester holds better groups with the 170's than with the 150's. I'm perty-sure that they also hit harder than the 150's that I've used....but to be honest, the poor ole deer doesn't seem to know the difference.

DGW

Pierow

Blackhawk
I appreciate the recommendations fellas. Look forward to trying them out. Other than my 10-22 this 94 may be the only other rifle I own. Looking forward to shooting it this summer and seeing what it is capable of. Another question if I may.

How do you know, other than the obvious cycling of a round, if your model is top or side ejecting? I believe my model is 1973 or 4. Are there particular markings I should look for?

Thanks, Pierow

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
All Winchester 1894 AE (angle eject) receivers are drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The right side of the receiver is milled down some.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_94.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1894

DGW1949

Hunter
Pierow said:
I appreciate the recommendations fellas. Look forward to trying them out. Other than my 10-22 this 94 may be the only other rifle I own. Looking forward to shooting it this summer and seeing what it is capable of. Another question if I may.

How do you know, other than the obvious cycling of a round, if your model is top or side ejecting? I believe my model is 1973 or 4. Are there particular markings I should look for?

Thanks, Pierow

If it's that old, it's a top-eject.
The angle-ejects that I have seen have "AE" stamped onto the barrel as part of the model number.
If a guy was going to limit himself to having just two rifles, he could do a lot worse than the two that you own. Me thinks that with a bit of practice, you'll find your Winchester to be just as "capable" as you are....and a lot moreso than some folks would lead you to believe.

If you don't mind a couple of suggestions;
Avoid dry-firing. I can near-about guarantee that sooner or later, dry-firing a '94 will break the firing pin...and probably sooner.
It's real-common for old leverguns to have a bunch of crud and/or some rust inside the magazine tube. You might want to check for that.
I wouldn't recomend disassembling the reciever very far without a set of step by step instructions, . There's lot's of "stuff" in there, and a few "tricks" to some of it. Having a parts schematic on hand would also be helpfull. Not trying to scare you here, just wanting you to be aware.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Pierow

Blackhawk
Thanks all for heading me in the right direction. Some wonderful advice was given here and I appreciate it very much. If all things work out this year I will try to take it to California and hunt with my uncle.

The only time I ever hunted was with him. At 89 years old he still goes up in the mountains and hunts and fishes by himself. He still takes out his 15' aluminum boat and fishes in the ocean. The neighbors know his schedule and the tree in the front yard he hangs all the extra's on. How cool would that be. Have a neighbor who hangs fresh fish and game when his freezer is full.

Pierow

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
My '94 (1961) does not like Leverevolution 160grn much, but does very well with Wincehster 170gr power points. My Marlin 336 likes the Leverevolution much better. Beware, the POI for Levo is about 7" NE of the 170 grn powerpoints at 125yds, and you will get a lot of vertical stringing as the barrel warms. Space out your shots to keep the barrel cool when you evaluate.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
my 1973 model 336 has always seemed most accurate with plain old Rem CoreLokt 150 grain rounds. It consistently puts them on target sub moa at 100 yards, but the 170's tend to spread out to near 2 moa. I started loading for the .30-30 last year and actually got some Sierra 170 bullets down to 1.5 moa, and managed to get the 150 gr CoreLokt bullets loaded with Leverevolution powder near 1 moa. The factory CoreLokts in my 336, accuracy wise, have always outperformed the Win, Federal and Hornady rounds.

Every gun is different.

JD

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Better watch it! Commiefornia will ban the Evil Cowboy Assault Rifle any day now. Some local hunters like the Leverevolution for hogs, and FL/GA runs to some big hogs.
Geoff
Who notes the 'gaters and the pythons gets the lil'uns.

GP100man

Buckeye
When ya get thru all the ammo testing send me ya brass !

I wish I could help but until a few weeks ago I have`nt purchased factory ammo in 15 yrs ,excluding 22lr.

Bought some 380 acp for the wifes new BERSA !

ButI do remember killin deer with Remingtons yellow box 170gr. rn qbullets , but if ya plan on stretchin to 150+yds I`d go with the 150gr. & some glass, maybe a good 4x

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
I'm a little different on the .30/30.

I've reloaded it since the '70's, and have shot cast/jacketed bullets from 60gr to 180gr.

With an iron sighted M94 (mine belonged to my older brother, died 06/12; it wears a Weaver "sour dough" reciever sight I gave him), Best ammo? It's what ever is on sale/available/cheapest of factory ammo.

As long as the bullet is designed for the magazine and velocity level of the .30/30, given the limitations of iron/reciever sights, most of the ammo on the market is "workable".
My brother killed his last deer, a 250lb+ 10pt (largest deer any of us three brothers have ever killed... I've killed over 300 to date...) with the M94 shooting a 150gr Hornady RN over 33.5gr of H4895. I still have the remains of the last "batch" of ammo he loaded and rifle is +3" at 100yds likewise for me....(and more accurate than his National Match M1 Garand, too!)

This load is "slightly" warmer than a Hornady Factory loaded 150gr RN, but only slightly.
However, I've mostly used 150gr Sierra, Remington, and Speer bullets in the .30/30. My preference is for the Remington 150 and 170gr Soft Points as they are "softer" than the others and give better "game" performance.
These are the same bullets as loaded by Remington in the "CorLokt" green/yellow boxes. They are amoung the cheapest, but best .30/30 ammo.
However, the Federal are very good as too the Winchester. The old discontinued 125gr Federal "Premium" load with Sierra 125gr JHP was outstanding on our "smallish" deer. I've used the 125gr Sierra in hand loads to kill deer and pigs. Never recovered a bullet, never shot one more than once, and never lost a deer or pig.

The cheapest .30/30 I've seen lately is the Monarch brand as sold by Academy Sports. This is their proprietary branding of the Privi Partisan ammo made in Serbia. I've used a lot of their components as sold by Grafs.com. It is good ammo. Not as accurate as premium Hornady or Winchester, but decent "shooter" ammo. From an iron sighted .30/30 "good enough"....

Btw; I'm not low rating the .30/30, or Win M94. Both of my .30/30's (win and marlin/glenfield M30) are 1-2moa rifles. Sighted in for 3"high at 100yds, they're zero at ~150yds and ~4" low at 200yds and as such are good for at least 200yds. The last deer I killed with a .30/30 was a ~100lb doe I shot "on the run" at ~170yds with a 170gr Rem. CorLokt at ~2,300fps over 34.2gr of RL15. I hit it twice with 3 shots. First shot broke the left front leg, second missed (I think..) and third shot took it through the lungs. It ran another 50feet and dropped. The Corlokt broke a rib in and another on the way out and left a 3" exit wound. As good as it gets from a .30/30!
This is with a cheap 4x scope on a "bargain store" rifle. (It shoots 7/8" three shot groups with this load at 100yds!).

In reality, I could have killed all but 4 of the 300+ deer I've taken with the scope sighted .30/30.
The day my brother killed that humoungous 10pt, I was driving deer to him carrying a Marlin M336 in .35Rem loaded with 200gr Rem. Corlokts over 40.0gr of H4895 (over book max... my gun, my ammo...ymmv) for 2,250fps. I killed a fork-horn later that afternoon at ~220yds on a fire-break. I "missed" the first two shots as I was holding-over too much. The third shot, I held on the "hair" and broke his back/spine... dropping him drt...(dead, right there!).
Don't let anybody mislead you. The "old .30/30" AINT Obsolete!!! just missunderstood and under-appreciated.
But I may be exagerating that... just try finding ammo for it last October.... Walmart, Academy, Gander's, and everybody else was "picked dry"... Must be somebody still shooting them. Heck, even Miroku has started back making the M94's! and guess what? They're the best ever made!!!

p.s. As my .30/30 sits on the rack with 9rds in a cuff on the butt-stock, It's sighted +3" at 100yds with Nosler 150gr Ballistic Silver tips over 38.5gr of LVR for 2,410fps per my chronograph.... Winchester sells this load under the "Super-X Supreme" black box brand. It's as good or imo, better, than the Hornady LeverEvolution 160gr FTX... But its $$$ and hard to find.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
I would just try a couple types and see what your rifle (and you) shoot best. What it usually boils down to for me is whatever is on sale. I usually stick with the big three. Winchester, Federal, Remington. Around here the 150 gr is more abundant than the 170. I love lever guns and my 30 30 so when I say this I am in no way knocking it. The 30 30 while it is plenty accurate for most needs of a hunting gun is not really a sub sub MOA gun so most factory ammo is going to perform pretty close to each other. Just like anything some guns like certain ammo a little better than others but in my experience at 30 30 ranges it still take down deer and paper about equally well. JMHO.