Store-bought ammo recommendations for new GP100...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

My new wheelgun will be in my hands in a few weeks. New GP100, 6" barrel.
I didn't buy the gun for CCW or for home defense, although the latter is a possibility, I suppose.

My shooting fun these days is at the range at 25 yards and informal target shooting (steel plates, empty sodapop cans, plastic jugs, etc.)

When I was shooting 9mm, I had great success with FMJ Blazer rounds, 115 grains, brass or aluminum casings (I don't reload). Great ammo for me...inexpensive, clean, hardly ever a misfire. A similar Sellier & Bellot round worked well fo rme, too.

So, I'd like to find corresponding rounds in .38 Special and .357 MAG to feed my new baby.

Any specific recommendations?

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Good luck finding target ammo for /38 and .357. i can't recall the last time I saw 50 rd or 100 rd boxes available. I do see overpriced 20 round boxes of defensive ammo at the big box stores. Maybe something is available in your area or via the internet.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
harryk said:
My new wheelgun will be in my hands in a few weeks. New GP100, 6" barrel.
I didn't buy the gun for CCW or for home defense, although the latter is a possibility, I suppose.

My shooting fun these days is at the range at 25 yards and informal target shooting (steel plates, empty sodapop cans, plastic jugs, etc.)

When I was shooting 9mm, I had great success with FMJ Blazer rounds, 115 grains, brass or aluminum casings (I don't reload). Great ammo for me...inexpensive, clean, hardly ever a misfire. A similar Sellier & Bellot round worked well fo rme, too.

So, I'd like to find corresponding rounds in .38 Special and .357 MAG to feed my new baby.

Any specific recommendations?

No .38, but several flavors of .357mag in stock here: 125gr FMJ 50rds for $30, and a couple others. http://www.underwoodammo.com/357magnum.aspx

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I haven't bought any .38 Spl factory ammo for who knows how long, but it might be worth a look to see if Federal still markets their American Eagle brand with a 130 gr FMJ. That was a good "just shootin'" round. And prices were usually on the low end when we lived in saner times.

Winchester White Box was what I used in the .357 for a while. If memory serves, Wally carried it in 110 gr and 125 gr, JSP for both weights.

As the guys have said, you may or may not be able to find either readily. There was plenty at one of our gun shows a couple of weeks ago, at "reasonable" prices even, so it's out there... honest!

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Personally I like Federal 'American Eagle', both 357mag and 38special. As a second cheaper choice I have found MagTech ammo to be satifactory but a little weak in 357mag. :D

Harvey

Bearcat
I have a GP100, and have found that the best .38 FMJ that I have used is Fiocchi. Federal American and Winchester White Box are also OK, but I prefer Fiocchi.

BradB

Bearcat
38 sp Winchester White box FMJ nice and accurate in my new GP100 4". Unless you need to kill something with .357 full power, any normal 38 special FMJ or all lead standard load will lob them almost through the same hole in steady target practice. I only target shoot so I only use 38 sp.

A

Anonymous

I'm not going to be reloading, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to trade my brass "empties" to a careful reloader in exchange for reloaded rounds at some reasonable ratio. I have no idea what that might be, though. My guess is that "used once" brass can be bought by the big bagful for not very much $$$. :)

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
harryk said:
I'm not going to be reloading, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to trade my brass "empties" to a careful reloader in exchange for reloaded rounds at some reasonable ratio. I have no idea what that might be, though. My guess is that "used once" brass can be bought by the big bagful for not very much $$$. :)

never say never :wink:

BradB

Bearcat
While on the subject of reloading... Would it be fair for a shooter who prefers factory ammo to ask (in person no shipping cost) 10 cents a round for good condition non weathered once fired brass? I'm getting a bit of a build up and I only shoot 38 special. Not in a good position to invest in reloading and I don't shoot a whole lot. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Anyone care to report on what they're readily willing to pay? I'm sure a lot of shooters are willing to hook up with reloaders for trade or cash.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
BradB said:
While on the subject of reloading... Would it be fair for a shooter who prefers factory ammo to ask (in person no shipping cost) 10 cents a round for good condition non weathered once fired brass? I'm getting a bit of a build up and I only shoot 38 special. Not in a good position to invest in reloading and I don't shoot a whole lot. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Anyone care to report on what they're readily willing to pay? I'm sure a lot of shooters are willing to hook up with reloaders for trade or cash.

Ten bucks per hundred for good once fired American brass is O.K for me. I see it in the shops, depending on caliber, for 7-15 cents per case. Whatever I pick up at the range, if I don't use it myself I generally have another reloading buddy that does. It gets passed along.

wolfee

Blackhawk
I have had some success lately finding WW 150 gr lead at WalMarts. NO leading problem at all in a 4" GP. My chrono showed it at 801fps with reasonable SD and extreme spread. I have also been buying the solid copper C.O.P. stuff from MidwayUSA. 110gr hollow points. This is not cheap enough for high volume plinking but it is about a third of what CorBon gets for the similar round. It is HOT. I don't have my notes handy, but as I recall it chronoed way above factory spec and was well over 1100fps.

Latest posts