New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

57springer

Buckeye
NitroAcres said:
Put my order in for 2 bronze ones today...one for me and one for my daughter...sons can buy their own..LOL...price was exceptional ..will let you know how the 3screws respond to the new neighbors in the safe as soon as they move in.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
Yep... Ruger Wrangler Single-Action.
Based on the Vaquero style Single-Six with an aluminum cylinder frame. looks like .22 RF only.
Models 2002 Black Cerakote
2003 Silver cerakote
and 2004 gold cerakote.

I AM NOT IMPRESSED!!! This is an entirely wrong direction for Ruger I.M.O.!!
Let Heritage have their cheap revolver that won't work after a while!! Ruger SA's have always been quality manufacturing, solid and in their own words "Rugged, Reliable Ruger".
I hope I am wrong on this one.

It is interesting that Ruger would abandon the trademark "Single-Six Wrangler" and just go with the "Wrangler" trademark. Maybe it was a technicality over using the word Single-Six with that, but you would think there would be more corporations that would have an issue with the name Wrangler.

Also, I see the possibility of Ruger going to a 22- prefix serial number on these. Since the model numbers are 2002, 2003 and 2004 and the 20- and 21- prefix have been used.
Chet15

I have zero problems with my Heritage 22LR/22LR and I have had to send back my last 3 Ruger SP101's. Rugers QC of late is a Joke at least from what I have experienced

But after my mini-rant ... I would buy a Wrangler in 32 H&R in a heartbeat.... To replace my Heritage 32 H&R I foolishly traded !!!

2lcr8k7.jpg

57springer

Buckeye
Buckeye! said:
chet15 said:
Yep... Ruger Wrangler Single-Action.
Based on the Vaquero style Single-Six with an aluminum cylinder frame. looks like .22 RF only.
Models 2002 Black Cerakote
2003 Silver cerakote
and 2004 gold cerakote.

I AM NOT IMPRESSED!!! This is an entirely wrong direction for Ruger I.M.O.!!
Let Heritage have their cheap revolver that won't work after a while!! Ruger SA's have always been quality manufacturing, solid and in their own words "Rugged, Reliable Ruger".
I hope I am wrong on this one.

It is interesting that Ruger would abandon the trademark "Single-Six Wrangler" and just go with the "Wrangler" trademark. Maybe it was a technicality over using the word Single-Six with that, but you would think there would be more corporations that would have an issue with the name Wrangler.

Also, I see the possibility of Ruger going to a 22- prefix serial number on these. Since the model numbers are 2002, 2003 and 2004 and the 20- and 21- prefix have been used.
Chet15

I have zero problems with my Heritage 22LR/22LR and I have had to send back my last 3 Ruger SP101's. Rugers QC of late is a Joke at least from what I have experienced
I have a 20 year old Heritage Rough rider I bought new and have put an estimated 7500 rounds of 22lr through it. Like you , no problems. :wink: I have used the 22wmr cylinder very little . In all fairness, it is not as accurate as my ruger single sixes ,but it cost $89 new , no rear adjustable sight etc. Heritages are what they are CHEAP plinkers :wink: So I am no way going to bash Heritage, it has been Ok for what I bought it for ! Now given the choice Heritage or Ruger for the same $$ it is gonna be Ruger hands down ! :D

louiethelump

Buckeye
Have to admit that all the praise for the heritage guns on THIS forum is surprising. I looked at Heritage guns over the years at gun shows, but don't recall ever picking one up. The little lever safety in the recoil shield and the shiny black zinc castings were obvious from afar. My first gun was a new model Single Six that I bought when they first came out in 73 or 74 after reading about the new model that was coming for what seemed like forever. Of course there were the nay sayers about the new model and still are, but it was what I taught myself to shoot on, so I never missed whatever it is you old model fans find lacking in the new models.

Not knocking the Heritage. Just surprised to see so
Much praise for a pot metal framed gun on the Ruger Forum.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
My little Heritage with the Birdshead grip has at least 1,000 rds thru it with zero issues and is surprisingly accurate at 50ft. I know it's cheap, all I know is carrying it around camp and in the woods is fun. I have many Ruger's, Sec 6, Vaquero, MK4, EC9S, 3 LCP's and American rifle.

57springer

Buckeye
ftlupton said:
My little Heritage with the Birdshead grip has at least 1,000 rds thru it with zero issues and is surprisingly accurate at 50ft. I know it's cheap, all I know is carrying it around camp and in the woods is fun. I have many Ruger's, Sec 6, Vaquero, MK4, EC9S, 3 LCP's and American rifle.
Mine has the birdshead grip as well, Zero issues . Heritage has several Revolvers done by talo right now with really cool grips, WW2 looking bomber nose art. snakeskin looking grip etc. 8) Lets hope ruger does something along those lines with the wrangler :wink:

old 41

Bearcat
Ordered a silver Wrangler "in stock" yesterday, probably paid more than one could be bought for in 6 months but was under $200 shipped

57springer

Buckeye
old 41 said:
Ordered a silver Wrangler "in stock" yesterday, probably paid more than one could be bought for in 6 months but was under $200 shipped
I am waiting for the local shop to get them . Cant wait to hear the "reviews " here !!

Before I jumped in and ordered one "online" from any source I'd make extra certain they actually had the guns available to ship. There's a lot of advertising being done, but be careful of what you do with respect to advanced ordering.

Just a thought.

louiethelump said:
Not knocking the Heritage. Just surprised to see so Much praise for a pot metal framed gun on the Ruger Forum.

It has been Heritage's successes in the market place that almost certainly drove Ruger to develop the Wrangler. Money talks and Ruger is not a company to dismiss a sizable market without close scrutiny as to their ability to penetrate the lower-end market with a viable new product.

If the Heritage guns were the "junk" some seem to believe they are, they wouldn't have been so successful in the market place. Not everybody can spend $600 for a .22 single-action, and the Heritage guns apparently satisfy a customer base that cannot be ignored by their competition.

I don't believe we're so much "praising" the Heritage guns as acknowledging their obvious appeal to that certain demographic. Ruger obviously has.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I didn't read all 12 pages before posting, but I read most of the first 3 or 4.

I think these will be a big hit for Ruger, and obviously they are trying to take back a share of the market that Heritage/Chiappa now has. I know of a fairly large midwest retailer that will be carrying the new Wrangler's now instead of the Heritage or Chiappa, with a sticker price of under $200.

I may not run out and buy the first one I see, because I have a well-worn 4 5/8" SS already, but I'm anxious to see the Wrangler in person and try them out.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Hawkeye:

"I don't believe we're so much "praising" the Heritage guns as acknowledging their obvious appeal to that certain demographic. Ruger obviously has."

I am in agreement with all of this and am delighted to see Ruger jump into this market. I am already seeing this new gun as a great starter gun to renew the grandkids excitement with single actions.

I ordered an in stock one this morning. That left one, and it sold while I was on the site.

I'm waiting for Ruger to offer the Wrangler as a "Plum Puddin' Special" with the frame in....PLUM!

(I'm still waiting for a couple of my revolvers to "ripen"! Why should the younger generation have to wait ten years????).

mac66

Single-Sixer
"If I'm purposefully hunting small game, I want a heavier gun like a Single Six or K-22 to do it with. If I'm just packing a rimfire for a woods walk or camping, there is a lot of utility in one that is as light as possible."

Well you could always go with an SR22 which is pretty light. The frame is plastic and the slide is a sort of alloy.

I had a Rough Rider single action. It was a POS gun (but cheap!) I now have my dad's 1955 Single Six so I am good to go from that standpoint. The Wrangler is intriguing however as a kick about in the woods/tackle box gun though I have a SR22 for that as well.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have a Bearcat Shopkeeper that I had rechambered to 22 magnum that I sometimes pocket carry as a defense gun. Solid little gun. I Like THE SIZE of single six better but don't want the weight. Bidding on used single six grip frame to see if it will fit to lighten the Wrangler. We will see. If it won't work on Wrangler maybe I will put it on my stainless fixed sight Single Six. We will see.

hpman66

Hunter
mac66 said:
"If I'm purposefully hunting small game, I want a heavier gun like a Single Six or K-22 to do it with. If I'm just packing a rimfire for a woods walk or camping, there is a lot of utility in one that is as light as possible."

Well you could always go with an SR22 which is pretty light. The frame is plastic and the slide is a sort of alloy.

I had a Rough Rider single action. It was a POS gun (but cheap!) I now have my dad's 1955 Single Six so I am good to go from that standpoint. The Wrangler is intriguing however as a kick about in the woods/tackle box gun though I have a SR22 for that as well.

Aren't the SR22s in the $350+ category? You could buy 2 Wranglers for that price or buy one Wrangler and a whole lot of ammo for that price. Isn't the price one of the biggest selling points for the Wrangler? :? :wink:

hpman66 said:
Aren't the SR22s in the $350+ category? You could buy 2 Wranglers for that price or buy one Wrangler and a whole lot of ammo for that price. Isn't the price one of the biggest selling points for the Wrangler? :? :wink:

I'd say it's the key selling point. Can't think of any real way it's better than a conventional Single-Six. I stand ready to be contradicted on that, of course.

:wink:

hpman66

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
hpman66 said:

I'd say it's the key selling point. Can't think of any real way it's better than a conventional Single-Six. I stand ready to be contradicted on that, of course.

:wink:

I never tried to imply that that Wrangler was better than a conventional Single-Six---it isn't. It's just the Wrangler will give more new shooters a chance to get a single action revolver at a very competitive/affordable/desirable price and there get more people interested in firearms/shooting---like the Heritage did now and the Single-Six did back in the day it arrived on the scene.