Fedex & firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
Anybody here know the regulations for shipping handguns with Fedex?

Obviously I know that interstate handgun shipments must be sent TO a dealer, but does Fedex take handgun shipments FROM a non-licensee TO a dealer? 8)

wizzard

Bearcat
went through this a while back, hope I'm catching you in time to save you some potential trouble...
Fed Ex will ship to a FFL and yes it must be overnight. However, I shipped to New York where they couldn't accept it because it wasn't shipped FROM an FFL. (I know, stupid, right?) Make sure wherever your shipping it to isn't a state with similar laws or, just ship from an FFL.

Thel

Blackhawk
When I went to the local Fedex to try and ship to a gunsmith in North Carolina they told me he had to be in THEIR FFL database. Was this a batch of B.S. ? Got fedup with Fedex and went to a dealer and had it shipped at half price.

glenncal1

Bearcat
It is very expensive to ship via fedex. With overnight and insurance you will be looking at $100 or more. If you have a local ffl they can ship via ups for much less.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Around here, with the right dealer it is usually cheaper to go through them and use the Post Office with Priority Mail, or Registered Mail for high value items. But only dealers can mail handguns.

Whoever at FedEx told you the receiving dealer had to be in their database was not following FedEx corporate policy/regulations. They aren't even required to see the receiving FFL.

Rob

glenncal1 said:
It is very expensive to ship via fedex. With overnight and insurance you will be looking at $100 or more. If you have a local ffl they can ship via ups for much less.

It is now cheaper for me to let my FFL ship my guns, USPS, and pay him a commission, than shipping myself using FedEx or UPS.

DPris

Buckeye
The receiving FFL does not have to be in their database.
I've Fedexed a gun to NC in the past.
Both FedEx & UPS will ship from a non-FFL TO an FFL.
Denis

s4s4u

Hunter
5of7 said:
Anybody here know the regulations for shipping handguns with Fedex?

Obviously I know that interstate handgun shipments must be sent TO a dealer, but does Fedex take handgun shipments FROM a non-licensee TO a dealer? 8)

I would look for an FFL and ask them to ship it. I often find the kitchen table dealers are quite receptive to doing so at a reasonable price. They can mail a handgun for about $12 plus a little for themselves. Then again some can get a bit proud. Common carrier gets a bit pricey as it has to go air from a non-FFL

eveled

Hawkeye
When I returned my WALTHER PPS to S&W they sent me a label and told me to tell the FedEx driver it was a gun in the box.

She said she couldn't take it, she called her supervisor who told her it was ok to take it.

When it came back, FedEx again, I apparently was visibly excited to get it back, the driver asked what it was, I said "my favorite gun back from s&w.

He said that's impossible FedEx doesn't ship guns. LOL!

S&w was adamant that I had to tell the driver it was a gun.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I sent a rifle back to a vendor, their shipping label, and was given a scolding because I did not walk in the door announcing in a loud voice "I have a gun to ship" . I talked to her manager and was told she no longer worked there!! ----Good !!
I use a local FFL and he charges my 30.00 to ship a hand gun to another FFL . He uses USPS and we have never had a problem.
However we do not ship to California or NY .

5of7

Hunter
Ok, thanks for the information. I do know that dealers in some states need it to come from a dealer, but if I list a gun here for example, whoever buys it should know what is what on their end before I ship.
Thanks guys. 8)

RalphS

Single-Sixer
https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

I haven't used them yet so I don't know how good they are but this is a service of Budsgunshop.

DPris

Buckeye
Three hours ago I shipped a rifle at FedEx & a rifle and pistol at UPS.
When you get a counter person who knows the company regs, it goes very smoothly.
When you don't, it doesn't.

You DO advise them that it's a gun, don't play games.
Denis