US Firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
I believe the USFA model intro'd in 2009 to "exact" 1st Gen Colt specs--to answer criticisms they didn't have one that was "100%" early 1st gen--was the "Old Armory Original." The ones USFA actually called "Pre Wars" all had the large cylinder, and later (post blackpowder), wider U sight channel, and I believe most had the smokeless retention spring/latch, though I think you could order the BP front screw. The USFA Pre Wars also also had the squared off triggerguard Colt reverted to after 1920 or so (after two decades or so of the "rounded" variety)...So, the combination of all these features suggested not only Pre WWII but a relatively short period. Since the cylinder "blackpowder" bevel was eliminated or diminished on Colts toward end of production prior to WWII in the '30s, if one wants to be persnickety, because the Pre War like all of the USFA single action line, sported the bevel, the USFA Pre Wars most closely emulated 1920 (or so) to 1930 (or so), larger cylinder notwithstanding.

Edit: I think the idea of the USFA Pre War was the selection of a combination of features that represented what many would think the "best" of the 1st Gens. Namely, smokeless era with "improved" sighting (wider U rear, wider front) and the spring latch (but still with the cylinder bevel). And that happened to be Pre WWII as distinguished from the "blackpowder era" guns--with their narrower sights and end screw--made prior to 1900 (or more specfically pre 1896 if you consider the new spring latch feature introduced then).

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Gak,
Excellent run down! Ok so the Old Armory Original was the one. I should never do anything from memory anymore! So the two I mentioned had the larger cylinders?

John, what we've failed to mention is that USFA bases some of their model nomenclature on the real Colts. Colts are roughly categorized by collectors as 1st generation (from 1873 to WW II when discontinued also known as Pre War Colts), 2nd (Post War, re-introduction in 1956 until 1974) and 3rd (Post War New Model, from 1976, when after factroy retooling they were again re-introduced, to current production). I say roughly categorized because each of those categories are further broken down into subgroups to delineate varying collector interest and values. Hope that helps,

jpickar

Blackhawk
Ahhhhhhhhh! Now I get it!;)

You have given me more info than I could understand and now I have a reference point it makes sense. Thank you for your time. I doubt I will ever buy a Real Colt at least now I know what everyone is talking about.

Thanks, John

gak

Buckeye
"Pre War" Colt or USFA is sort of like "Pre 64" Winchesters. While all Wins made prior to 64 are technically "Pre 64," because of all these subsets, they're generally thought by most folks to be at least war and post war up to 1964. And those Wins before 1941 usually referred to as "Pre War." Some collectors will argue that point to the hilt, that it doesn't matter - all Wins made prior to 64 are "Pre 64," but IMO that's playing semantics and hardly helps describe things very well for the layperson. If you say "Pre War" (Wins), most everyone knows what you're talking about. "Pre 64" OTOH brings on another question, "Pre War or later?" - though most think in terms of "later."

Further, like the Colts, many Pre War Wins had characteristics unique to the era, I.e., not found war and post war "Pre 64" such as the various curved buttplates, octagonal barrels, etc, except on various commemoratives, one-offs and such...and so the period before the war has been commonly given its own label, at least for conversation sake.

Similarly, all Colts made (and clones representing) before WWII could technically be considered Pre War, but to differentiate the basic types, as another poster stated, that period from SAA inception (ca 1873) to WWII in 1941 is informally broken into "blackpowder" (frame) up to 1896 and "smokeless" frame 1896-on charcterized by the new spring latch (Though the guns weren't smokeless certified 'til 1900) and ultimately larger/wider sights. And that latter period has been generalized to "Pre War," but most especially 1900 on to 1941--the smokeless era guns. I'm sure I'm missing many fine points here, hammer variations, that rounded triggerguard period in the early 1900s, etc.

Second Gen Colt SAAs, or 1956-1975, are essentially (again, fine points aside) carry over late Pre War--just prior to WWII--in that none except special editions have the "blackpowder" bevel that was seen on guns from 1873 to the 1930s or so.

CraigC

Hawkeye
As gak posted, 1st generation Colt's are generally separated by the blackpowder era guns, up to serial number 192,000 in 1900. Some references indicate as early as 175,000. The "Pre-war" guns are those made from that point up to WWII when production ceased. So the USFA Pre-war model is a replica of post 1900, pre-WWII Colt SAA's. They have the authentic carbona blue finish ("armory blue") and the hammers are case colored. Carbona bluing is a labor intensive process and few offer it today. It has an appeal all its own. Colt has been doing a hot salt blue since WWII. USFA's standard single action is comparable to a 2nd or 3rd generation Colt. As for pricing, the Pre-war model is comparable to a standard Colt at around $1200. The last their standard single action was available from Davidson's, they were around $900.

This is what a Pre-war looks like (actually a Turnbull USFA, engraving not standard):
IMG_0953b.jpg

USFA's hot salt bluing (dome blue) looks like this:
IMG_1138c.jpg

gak

Buckeye
Good sum up Craig (and beautiful guns!). Another differentiation collectors and afficianados make with Colts is less visible but critical, especially if actually firing the weapons...That is, there were significant metallurgy improvements over the years. Early Colt SAAs (and of course their progenitors) were iron. Someone else more expert can chime in on the exact timeframe of changeover to steel. IIRC improvements were made throughout the blackpowder period to better metals...but, again, as a broad statement the Pre War or 1900-on were considered the more-modern steels - capable of safely/consistently digesting the smokeless cartridge. I believe this may have actually occurred in the 1890s--at least to a degree--but again, the "official" certification for smokeless was ca 1900.

Other than no proprietary "Colt" marking of course, the one aspect the USFA "Old Armory Original"--and other clones purporting to be "exact" to early SAA "blackpowder" era--that is not to original spec is that early iron construction. All modern-era guns use the stronger modern steels.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
So I have a nickle finish/blue screws Colt made in the early nineties that I could technically call a "pre war model" hence pre Irac/Afganistan war.HE HE
I am glad I posted about the USFA.It really stirred up some interest.Interesting no one asked about the 12/22 in the pics posted.I have had two of those 12/22,s(only have 4 3/4 inch model now).I think they are a very intricate piece of work but way too heavy for all intended purposes. I like mine but I cannot shoot any better than I can shoot my Ruger SS,s

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
My friend Bill Mading in Austin, Texas has done a bit of restorative welding to put back an old gun here and there. Mading is not a gunsmith, please don't flood him with calls. He happens to be a supreme master TIG welder. What I am driving at is this: some of the old guns, the Smith & Wesson/ Colt/ Steinway/Singer-grade 19th Century machine tooling involved metallurgy primitive by today's standards. This "crude" metal resists the touch of even the finest welder.

Beholding those old guns should bring a modern man to his knees.
David Bradshaw

CraigC

Hawkeye
gak said:
Good sum up Craig (and beautiful guns!).
Thanks Gregg! On strength, it is worthy of note that, with USFA's blessing, Brian Pearce has successfully rechambered standard USFA .44Spl's to .44Mag. Aside from length, they function perfectly with full-pressure loads.

I like the 12/22 and it is a bit heavy but only 2oz more than a comparable .38Spl, which is 3oz heavier than the .44Spl pictured above. My issue is that I can reload the Single Six in seconds. Because I have to deliberately insert each cartridge into the 12/22's chambers, it takes much longer. I still shoot the 50yr old Ruger more. :)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I thought the big advantage of the 12/22 was loading two at a time. Bill Hamm loads two at a time in the single ten.

My old single sixes are lighter, smaller and handier. I love the USFA SAs but I'll also stick with my Ruger OMs for 22s.

gak

Buckeye
Still, 12 out of something that doesn't look like a peashooter (no flames, I love SS's :) ) is pretty nice. I used to like the old full size Great Western .22s "just because" and they were only six-shooters!

gak

Buckeye
A friend has a 1st Gen Colt with Christy .22 barrel and cylinder - 7.5" barrel - now that's a tank!!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gak said:
A friend has a 1st Gen Colt with Christy .22 barrel and cylinder - 7.5" barrel - now that's a tank!!

that's a tank!

One of mine was a Christie that is now all Colt again in 38 Colt. The other is all Colt with sleeved cylinder and relined original 4 3/4" barrel. It lettered as a 32-20 originally, I wish it still was.

peyton

Single-Sixer
I think US Firearms is not ran well. They advertised revolvers that either never hit the market or only sold a few of. I have a 32-20 USFA that I sent in to get a 327 magnum cylinder installed. It went great, then they shipped it back and did not insure it or require signature. The FEDEX guy left it on my FFL's front porch when he did not get an answer at the front door!! I about had a dang heart attack!! I just knew some gang banger got my gun and was cussing because he could not find ammo for it!!

peyton

Single-Sixer
I am sorry for leaving ya'll in suspense. When my FFL got home several hours later after mr FEDEX pulled off this "OOPS" the box was there, laying against the front door. He called USFA and blessed them out for being so cheap, after all I paid for the return shipping and had included enough for FEDEX return, with insurance and signature required.
I call seperately and spoke with the shipping manager asking who would go to jail if the revolver they shipped had been stolen and used in a murder. His reply was "That is the way we always send them to the stores" I told him in response that idea was not practical because FFL's do not always have a store!!