US Firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M'BOGO

Buckeye
What is the word with USFA? I recall they stopped taking orders to catch up on production, and some rumors swirling around, any hard facts?

jpickar

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
Ditto no. Ultra fine guns, but not to re-sell for a profit now or in the future.

Anything is quality will increase in value. Economic fact.
Romney will probably be elected and coming out out this depression were are in, inflation will increase the value of anything desirable and quality. Another economic fact. The question is how much inflation will happen.
I say hold onto them a while and sell next early spring, when the bounce will hit. Then it will take a year or so for inflation it hit.

I had a friend who owned 1 of 2 71 hemi cuda convertables with a 4 speed. At that time he said he could get $15,000 for it. (That was in 1981) I told him to sell it as that was a lot of money. He sold it a couple of years later for $35,000. The last I heard it went for $5 million. I learned from that. I have seen time and quality go up in value ever since.

John

trapperon

Blackhawk
I believe perhaps the rodeo model would increase in value because they were somewhat underpriced to begin with. the rest of them were right in there with colt saa prices. most would rather just buy an original colt for the same money.

Ron

CraigC

Hawkeye
I guaran-friggin-tee they will increase in value as soon as USFA officially closes its doors or changes direction. They will increase in value by a huge margin over virtually any 3rd generation Colt.

For the record, a USFA sixgun comparable to a Colt SAA would sell for $200-$300 less. The USFA Pre-war model was similarly priced and if you think it's a similar sixgun, you need to handle one. They are head & shoulders above anything Colt has produced in a very long time and a bargain at $1200.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
The USFA are good guns .The ones I have were about $1150 to $1250 when I got them except for the Rodeo II. I like them but I also have a Colt.And I would rather have them all in Colts if I could get them with the proper chamber deminisions ect. I would trade one for a new Colt now if I could get one that was correct specs.I wonder if the new ones coming out now are correct in the barrel to chamber specs?

Cholo

Staff member
CraigC said:
I guaran-friggin-tee they will increase in value as soon as USFA officially closes its doors or changes direction.

I agree completely! I remember reading on their website a quote from someone else that said something like "USFA's are what Colt should have been building all along". The key is if they're still producing Colt SAA clones. I lusted after one and even built one from their spec sheet but never made it happen. If they'd have made a clone Colt New Frontier .44 Special, I'd have been all over it! I ended up buying one of the good 3rd. gen. Colt New Frontiers NIB about a year ago. As long as their doors stay open, I don't see them increasing in value.

Olsherm said:
The USFA are good guns .The ones I have were about $1150 to $1250 when I got them except for the Rodeo II. I like them but I also have a Colt.And I would rather have them all in Colts if I could get them with the proper chamber deminisions ect. I would trade one for a new Colt now if I could get one that was correct specs.I wonder if the new ones coming out now are correct in the barrel to chamber specs?

My understanding is that the new Colt SAA's are up to spec.

tom black

Blackhawk
They've gone up since I bought this one a few years ago.
Don't see me parting with it unless we get real hungry around here.
Tom Black
Cantucky

20110120_1.jpg

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
jpickar said:
Cholo said:
Ditto no. Ultra fine guns, but not to re-sell for a profit now or in the future.

Anything is quality will increase in value. Economic fact.

I had a friend who owned 1 of 2 71 hemi cuda convertables with a 4 speed. At that time he said he could get $15,000 for it. (That was in 1981) I told him to sell it as that was a lot of money. He sold it a couple of years later for $35,000. The last I heard it went for $5 million. I learned from that. I have seen time and quality go up in value ever since. John

I agree with the concept of buying quality, but comparing Hen's Teeth Hemi Cuda's to current production (even limited production) sixguns is a bit of a streach. "Invest" in guns, or cars, that you can afford and enjoy to shoot, take care of them and if you make a little money on them someday, consider yourself fortunate. :wink:

Sixer

Bearcat
Cholo said:
CraigC said:
I guaran-friggin-tee they will increase in value as soon as USFA officially closes its doors or changes direction.

I agree completely! I remember reading on their website a quote from someone else that said something like "USFA's are what Colt should have been building all along". The key is if they're still producing Colt SAA clones. I lusted after one and even built one from their spec sheet but never made it happen. If they'd have made a clone Colt New Frontier .44 Special, I'd have been all over it! I ended up buying one of the good 3rd. gen. Colt New Frontiers NIB about a year ago. As long as their doors stay open, I don't see them increasing in value.

Olsherm said:

My understanding is that the new Colt SAA's are up to spec.

If by "up to spec" you mean .456-.457 throats, then Iguess they are. I bought mine a year ago and that is what I got. With my Rugers at least I could ream them to proper diameter. All I can do with a Colt is have a custom cylinder made.

Cholo

Staff member
sixer, I'm basing my "up to spec." on writeups I've read about Colt's latest New Frontier, not actual experience. That's why I said "My understanding is that the new Colt SAA's are up to spec.".

"If by "up to spec" you mean .456-.457 throats, then Iguess they are." sixer

Yikes! :shock: Probably not, a least in your example. In my 3rd gen. NF .44 Special, the throats are .001+ a little oversized. Easy fix with a properly cast bullet.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't know if a USFA will go up in value or not, but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that the price for a nice example will keep up with inflation.

DGW

Sixer

Bearcat
Cholo said:
sixer, I'm basing my "up to spec." on writeups I've read about Colt's latest New Frontier, not actual experience. That's why I said "My understanding is that the new Colt SAA's are up to spec.".

"If by "up to spec" you mean .456-.457 throats, then Iguess they are." sixer

Yikes! :shock: Probably not, a least in your example. In my 3rd gen. NF .44 Special, the throats are .001+ a little oversized. Easy fix with a properly cast bullet.
Cholo
Wasnt trying to slam ya. I have heard the NF's are nice. Yes, I have measured these throats with snap gauges and a micrometer.I was shocked too. I had to check the calibration of my micrometer. I checked with pin gauges also with the same conclusion. I will admit I can get decent groups with a .455 bullet. I had Mountain Molds make me a Keith bullet that will drop at .456 and I size to .455.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have a Beretta Bisley 7 1/2 inch with large cyl mouths about 455 to 456. I fired some unsized 454190 bullets in it (around .455 to .456 dia) and they grouped good at 25 yards.I am going to try some in the Colt soon. I have tried .454 in the Beretta and the colt and they did not group as well as the unsized ones.

Cholo

Staff member
Sixer, I didn't take it as a slam. It just amazes me that Colt, and Ruger BTW, over/under size their .45 Colt SA's. I don't know if Ruger still does it or not, but for Colt to do it in their high $ modern SA's is inexcusable.