.45 Colt ( Ruger & T/C ) Firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
The New Model Blackhawk is fine with "Ruger only" loads. The Flat top with smaller frame and cylinder shouldn't be loaded that hot.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Large frame BH is good to go. Like Sagebrush Burns said not the mid frame flat top or the new Vaquero, they want standard loads @ 14,000 psi max.
Stay safe and have fun!!

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
If you need magnum performance buy a 44 Magnum. If that's not enuff buy a rifle. 45 Colt is at it's best when loaded with 255 grain bullet to 800 - 900 fps.

COR

Blackhawk
The Ruger BH is a strong platform but as with any loads, follow the manual for the Ruger loads...find one that shoots straight and gas on it! You can push them but gains tend to be minimal.

clayflingythingy said:
If you need magnum performance buy a 44 Magnum. If that's not enuff buy a rifle. 45 Colt is at it's best when loaded with 255 grain bullet to 800 - 900 fps.

Well...while I agree the .45 is a sweet shooter with the 255, I'd certainly not agree that is where it's "at it's best" as there are a lot of heavier slug designs that fly very nicely out of mine at moderate velocity...but that's just my opinion and I don't want to even begin to engage in a .44 vs .45 thread so I'll leave the first part of that paragraph to stand on its own...

s4s4u

Hunter
clayflingythingy said:

The 45 Colt, when loaded to it's potential will outperform the 44 magnum and do it with less pressure and perceived recoil.

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
Thank you all for the reply. .44 MAG performance isn't what I'm looking for in my .45 Colt or .44 special, I will use my .44 mag for that :mrgreen: . The loads are listed in the Hornady manual why not use them?

I was able to locate a reamer and ream my cylinder's , a person who is a member of this forum was kind enough to let me use his reamer. This cut down on the leading as my cylinder's were undersized and confirmed by using a micrometer and ball gage as well as a certified check pin set to confirm that the cylinder was undersized.

There are a number of reasons why cylinder / barrel leading occurs . Some say it is from not enough pressure / velocity to swell the bullet to keep gas from escaping around it which causes leading, this was why I asked about the Ruger / TC loads in the load manual. I'm trying to eliminate as much leading as possible and reaming the cylinders has eliminated a lot of it. MC

COR

Blackhawk
s4s4u said:
clayflingythingy said:

The 45 Colt, when loaded to it's potential will outperform the 44 magnum and do it with less pressure and perceived recoil.

Oh dear God please stop....it isn't worth it....haven't we learned anything!!!

Choose what you want and have fun with it!

COR

Blackhawk
Montana Cowboy said:
There are a number of reasons why cylinder / barrel leading occurs . Some say it is from not enough pressure / velocity to swell the bullet to keep gas from escaping around it which causes leading, this was why I asked about the Ruger / TC loads in the load manual. I'm trying to eliminate as much leading as possible and reaming the cylinders has eliminated a lot of it. MC

I'd recommend a gas checked bullet or jacketed for that matter...It is a very easy way to avoid any frustration...

Lead composition and correct sizing also play a role...

I'm willing to bet that a gas checked .452 or .453 will eliminate the problem...just pick a weight that works for you...

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
I've considered a gas checked bullet it's just that I have quite a few bullets that will not accept a gas check and will use them up before going to the gas check or jacketed bullet. MC

MaxP

Buckeye
clayflingythingy said:

The .45 Colt can do a lot better than that. I find it at its best with 335 grain bullets in the 1,150 - 1,350 fps level. Now you've got something really special.

shorty500m

Bearcat
All depends on which frame size you have!!! Stay under 23kpsi if a flattop or new vaquero, if it's an old vaquero or a full size blackhawk let it rip all way to 30kpsi if you want. Either way you should be well pleased

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger has the info on their website,,, but sometimes it's not as accurate as our own RENE guide.
What's the number? I'll look it up.