Your thoughts on the 10/22 takedown , from those who know ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JES14352

Bearcat
Would like to get thought on Rugers 10/22 takedown model now that they have been out a while from those who know ? What upgrades (mods) do you think the gun needs if any ? Thanks , I'll sit back now and see what those who know have to say.............

9x19

Hunter
Upgrades are best decided on after you have a chance to shoot the rifle... it may need a better trigger, it ma not, etc.

With the take-down, your barrel choices are limited, so it mostly comes down to bolt and trigger mods... but again shoot it in the box-stock version first.

While I haven't found a need for a take-down, I also haven't owned a 10/22 that didn't benefit from a better trigger.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I have a takedown and really like it. It's a nice gun to throw in the truck and break out when needed.

I will be upgrading the trigger on mine soon. I've mainly been plinking with it, but if I want to hit anything very far away (especially off-hand) it will need a better trigger.

SR

Iguanason

Bearcat
I think it does not really need much except better sights, aperture sights or optics of your choice. It is hard to find a scope that fits in the bag. You may want a trigger kit, bolt buffer and charging handle upgrades. I like the Kidd parts. Replacing the extractor with an better aftermarket version is also something to consider.

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
Mine is not as accurate as my little Browning take-down. I will spend more time tweaking the sights and practicing before I try to mod it. I would be interested in a scope if it fits nicely in the bag.

Pawpaw

Bearcat
My takedown might be the most fun to shoot rifle I own. I did do several mods to suit my needs & wants.

I put in a bolt buffer just because I want the rifle to last a long time.

I installed a Volquartsen trigger because I didn't care for the heavy, gritty stock trigger.

The stock sights didn't work very well with my old eyes, so I installed a Williams Ace in the Hole sight system. This gives me a fiber optic front sight and a rear peep at the end of a picatinny rail.

I have a Weaver one-piece scope mount holding my Redfield Battlezone TAC.22 scope. This allows me to store everything in the included bag.

I can't think of another single thing I need for this rifle, but given a few minutes I'm sure I'll find something! :lol:

41Gator

Bearcat
I like my take down a lot. Mine has a 3X9 Nikon Prostaff mounted with Leupold QR rings, holds zero very well. Tactical Solutions extended mag release is only addition so far but it will get a trigger and buffer at some point soon. I put the fore end in one slot, the scope (with caps and rings) in the slot next to the fore end and the butt stock on the other side. As is the gun will shoot under 2 inches at 100 yds rapid fire off a bag and bench so I'm real pleased as I'm sure it'll get better as parts are added. Kills the crap out of digger squirrels.

m657

Buckeye
My only mod was a P-223 Nikon 3x glass scope, which conveniently fits in the factory bag.

My take down has served well providing the fastest match score I've ever had in 'Steel Challenge' while proving remarkably accurate in the garden bunny-patrol assignment.

For my use there has been no complaints and no need for other 'upgrades'.

I don't mean to be negative, but I really don't see the big draw of the take down... my solution since the get go of wanting to be able to travel with a compact 22 rifle has been a 16" barrel and folding stock.

JES14352 said:
Would like to get thought on Rugers 10/22 takedown model now that they have been out a while from those who know ? What upgrades (mods) do you think the gun needs if any ? Thanks , I'll sit back now and see what those who know have to say.............

Doesn't need any mods except an aftermarket trigger if you're so inclined. Every bit as accurate and reliable as any other factory-stock 10/22.

The excuse I used to buy mine was it fit in the hard saddle bag of my Harley. Bought a new Harley, the gun no longer fits in the newer saddle bag, so the gun went away.

WAYNO.

RandyM

Bearcat
I bought one here at the Houston NRA show, it is a SS with a threaded bbl with bird cage type flash hider, I added a ruger laser at the front bbl band. It came with fiber optic sights, I use it with my sparrow suppressor. Nice, everything fits in the carry bag, ammo, mags, suppressor.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Love mine. Had the barrel threaded so I can use my Gemtech Alpine on it. That and a good scope and I'm very good to go....

Lateck,

The takedown was designed as a marketing ploy(and to fit a fairly narrow niche market). Great idea for those who might end up stranded in a survival situation, who have very limited space to store a rifle, or wish to transport a rifle capable firearm w/o attracting unwanted attention. Not a substitute for a "normal" rifle. Just my opinion.

m657

Buckeye
Lots of ideas, never seems to matter, folks either love it, hate it, or are indifferent to it.

re: " my solution since the get go of wanting to be able to travel with a compact 22 rifle has been a 16" barrel and folding stock." I tried that solution 25 years ago. Didn't care for several of the features that came with the folding stock option....but that was an AMT clone. It shot anything I ran thru it, it just proved to be not very accurate. And not really much fun, as the folder was clumsy, awkward and unbalanced, along with not fitting me, as well as the nifty rubber recoil pad always grabbing hanging up on anything I wore.

On the other hand, the TD works very well for me in all aspects. Any real reason for buying one? Only you can answer that.

I've seen photos where a few individuals have cobbled a TD into a folding take-down. Wasn't interested personally but they seemed to enjoy their project.

toysoldier

Hunter
For a take-down .22, it's hard to beat the Browning (or Norinco copy, for those of us on a budget). Mine is light, accurate, and reliable. The action strips in seconds for cleaning. I'm not into blowing off a brick of ammo at a time, so the well-protected in-stock magazine suits me just fine. And it's one of the most graceful firearms ever designed.

sonnyb61

Bearcat
I have had mine now for almost a year. I got tired of the factory bolt release button. So I saved my money and bought a Kidd trigger assembly and I am so glad I did. Now the release of the bolt is so easy and the 2 lb trigger release which I opted to have set made my 10/22 put bullet holes into bullet holes. I highly recommend the Kidd products!

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I enjoy mine along with several other members of my family. I bought it about 2 months after they were introduced and since then have at least 1500 rounds through it. Modifications include a Tactical Innovations bolt buffer, SpeedBeez automatic bolt release, and a sling that's composed of two Blackhawk! single point sling adaptors *and uses the backpack strap* as the sling itself. That actually works very well - what is normally the shoulder pad becomes a nice buffer for the back of your hand/arm. Then, when you take the rifle down, unhook the "sling" and put it back on the backpack. I'm actually going to buy another backpack strap from Ruger and just leave the original one attached to the buttstock.

Oh, and an Alangator Trimag magazine coupler. I think that thing is singlehandedly the best bang-for-the-buck accessory in all of firearmdom, especially because of where I live, where the BX-25 magazines are illegal (or at the very least, on a post-ban manufactured rifle like this one - I'm not taking any chances.)

We shoot it, we clean it, we like it. It's not a competition rifle - I would say about 2 MOA is what you can expect, maybe a little better with good ammo. I have a cheapo Millett red dot 3 MOA sight on mine and it has held zero and continues to function. The rifle shoots "inside the dot" consistently. I should probably have bought a Bushnell TRS-25. I didn't want to spend a ton on a $350-or-so gun.

It's a FUN rifle, it's handy, it's decently-well made, it fits nicely in the backpack and because I live in a relatively non-free state I like the fact that I can put the bag in my car or carry it around without drawing undue attention to myself or the gun (I've actually put some black electrical tape over the Ruger logo to hide it even better). Rifles with folding stocks are frowned upon very heavily where I live but the Takedown doesn't ruffle any feathers. And you can stuff a lot of stuff into the bag and take the whole thing to the range for an afternoon of shooting. What's not to like? You can plink all day long and then zip everything back up and head home, no muss, no fuss.

Yeah, it doesn't have the same sight options as a regular 10/22 if you want to put it back into the bag with the scope still attached to the receiver. And your aftermarket stock options are limited. But small/medium red dot works great, and the rest of the gun is a 10/22 and responds to the same modifications.

In short, it's every bit a 10/22 and also half of one when you need it to be ;). I haven't had any problems. I'd buy it again.

Pictures coming in a few minutes....

Full Confession: I used this guy's idea for the sling. It works great with the Blackhawk! adaptors, just tighten them down well. This is from the OTHER RugerForum (.NET instead of .COM).

http://rugerforum.net/long-arm-accessories/73321-cheap-simple-sling-10-22-takedown.html

As far as it being a "normal" .22 rifle, it has fired every kind of bullet I've put into it and done so accurately and without malfunction. Pretty normal if you ask me. Just my $0.02.

Update: Pictures Added Left Side

RUGER_10_22_TD_PIC2.jpg

Right Side

RUGER_10_22_TD_PIC1.jpg

NixieTube

Blackhawk
One other thing about the 10/22 TD: at least from a maintenance perspective, it's the easiest 10/22 model to keep the barrel and chamber clean, for the obvious reason that they come off in your hand when you take the rifle apart :). It's literally a 1 minute job when you put the rifle away - get a bore snake, stick it in the backpack with a few ounces of your favorite CLP, and there's just no excuse not to do it.

Every once in a few full moons you can take the receiver out of the buttstock and clean all those parts very easily also, just like a regular 10/22, but you can't beat a detached barrel and chamber for ease of cleaning and inspection.