Your thoughts on the 10/22 takedown , from those who know ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Not that I'm trying to bump this thread continuously, but one thing I did think of as a criticism today:

Once you've mounted the factory scope base to the receiver, the stock rear sight is very difficult to use even when you remove your sight/scope from the rail (and it's not all that super to begin with, let's face it.) The height of the factory rail/factory rear sight combo. is not a friendly fit, with the rail basically doing its best to obscure your sight picture.

I have not tried any of the aftermarket alternatives - yet. The Williams "Ace In the Hole" peep sight/picatinny rail combination looks promising if you want to retain iron sight capability (and many people prefer peep sights) as a fallback. This fellow has a brief video showing them mounted on a 10/22 Takedown. If you're also using a red dot or a scope, you might have to play with the rings to get the right clearance, but this is one accessory I'm thinking about. YMMV, all disclaimers apply, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXLzpaFIY6Y

With all my modifications/accessories so far, I've spent about $135 over and above the base cost of the rifle (2x 10-rd magazines, Alangator Trimag, Bolt Buffer, Bolt Release, Sling Adaptors, cheap Millet 3MOA red dot). This Williams accessory would bring it to about $185. I paid $350 for the gun when it was "hot" on the shelves, so if I do the Williams thing I will have spent a little more than half the price of the gun on accessories and modifications.

Is that crazy? I don't think it's too bad. If you buy a $1200 AR platform rifle you can easily spend $600 on a quality sight and a few whimwhams.

737tdi

Hunter
One thing I only saw mentioned once and it was kind of buried. The bolt release. This is for any 10/22. I have always hated the bolt release design. It is such a cheap and easy mod.. Bolt locks back, grab the charging handle, pull back slowly and the bolt drops. No buttons or release to push.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=10%2F22+bolt+release

I know this can be done with a little home engineering but I have never been comfortable with grinding on firearm components.

JMO

Karl

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
737tdi said:
One thing I only saw mentioned once and it was kind of buried. The bolt release. This is for any 10/22. I have always hated the bolt release design. It is such a cheap and easy mod.. Bolt locks back, grab the charging handle, pull back slowly and the bolt drops. No buttons or release to push.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=10%2F22+bolt+release

I know this can be done with a little home engineering but I have never been comfortable with grinding on firearm components.

JMO

Karl

Agreed. It's a and cheap easy mod that makes a significant difference.

mikehp

Bearcat
I like mine for plinking and such. I did install Skinner sights to replace original, keeps it compact and very accurate, they replace exist sights on barrel and no batteries. I have the Skinner sights on all my lever guns.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Tinman931 said:
Agreed. It's a and cheap easy mod that makes a significant difference.
+2. The standard bolt release thing is what some people might call a "hold 'yer mouth right" kind of maneuver just like the other 10/22s. Ruger deserves credit for keeping it around and not improving it all these years. Seriously. Small manufacturers of the aftermarket releases everywhere thank them, I'm sure. :)

There's nothing "wrong" with the factory bolt release, it's just a bit finicky and clumsy. I'll bet a lot of mortgages have been paid off over the years because Ruger never went all the way to the wall to make that part "perfect."