Your Opinions on Possible Model "SSM" Single Six Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Isher2000

Bearcat
A friend is selling a nice stainless "SSM" Single Six with white grips in .32 H & R magnum.

I have heard of reputable gunsmiths that are converting .32 H & R SP101 revolvers to .327 Federal by lengthening the chambers. By all accounts these are working out quite well. However the SP101 has a .357 mag. length cylinder and is built with more metal in key areas.

The "SSM" was born before the .327 Federal came on the scene as I recall.

What is your opinion on the:

1. Safety

2. Practicality

... of boring out the chambers on an "SSM" to .327 Federal length and shooting full charge commercial .327 Federal cartridges in it. This could include the full charge Speer 100 and 115gr. Gold-Dot and I suppose even the Buffalo Bore 130gr. hard cast loads.

Is the "SSM" cylinder long enough to support the .327 Fed. with an adequate safety margin? Is the cylinder heat treated to take the jump in pressure?

Do you know of anyone trying this and if so what was the outcome?

Yes I know recoil would get a lot worse but I shoot these loads in a 3" S&W 632-1 Power-Port J-frame now so it couldn't be much worse than that. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=post&f=12#

Yes I also know Ruger offers (on a limited basis) the .327 as a SP101, Blackhawk, GP-100 and even an LCR I think though finding any of these seems to be difficult.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick

NikA

Buckeye
Firstly, welcome to the board.

There are a number of gunsmiths that have converted SSM (and Bearcats: http://www.gunblast.com/Harton-327Bearcat.htm) to the .327 cartridge. The issues are not really matters of safety due to heat treatment, since Ruger makes .327 guns currently on the same frame size with the same steels, they are more focused on cartridge OAL (not safety, but may limit ammo choices) and practicality. I would rate this as impractical due to the costs associated with having it done right and the potential to reduce the value of a SSM that is not in current production.

Currently in production and not difficult to find:
The Single-7, a 7-shot SA .327 on the SS size frame: http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleSeven/models.html
The 4.2" SP-101 in .327: http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5773.html

While these may not be available to you locally, they are both certainly available from online vendors with a little searching. I doubt you'd find a recommended gunsmith to do a .327 conversion in a timely fashion either, so why not just select a Ruger factory chambered in .327 and save some time and money? The .32 H&R guns are also quite fun and can be loaded above the anemic levels established for low-quality H&R guns.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I don't know why one would muck around with converting it when you can just by a 327 and have two guns. :D

G2

Hunter
Ruger45 said:
I don't know why one would muck around with converting it when you can just by a 327 and have two guns. :D

+1 what he said.

I started to head down this same road some years back.
There are gunsmiths that were/are building correct length cylinders and trimming the barrel back, AND some will just lengthen your existing cylinder. American Eagle 100gr 327M will fit.

BUT WHY

You really need to load the 32Mag up to "RUGER ONLY LOADS" ... there out there :wink:

You just don't gain all that much going from "ROL" 32Mag to 327Mag,,, Especially in that short barrel.

I did end up acquiring a Single Seven 327M, mostly just wanted one and liked the idea of a extra shot.
I did make it my own :roll:
413078562.jpg

413078565.jpg

413078573.jpg

Isher2000

Bearcat
Thanks all.

I'm looking at a Henry .327 mag. rifle and a companion pistol in the same caliber for a nice woods walking combo. I'll probably take a look at the single seven since concealment is less of an issue and I won't mind a little less of a handful than my J-frame tends to be with serious loads.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Isher2000 said:
A friend is selling a nice stainless "SSM" Single Six with white grips in .32 H & R magnum.

I have heard of reputable gunsmiths that are converting .32 H & R SP101 revolvers to .327 Federal by lengthening the chambers. By all accounts these are working out quite well. However the SP101 has a .357 mag. length cylinder and is built with more metal in key areas.

The "SSM" was born before the .327 Federal came on the scene as I recall.

What is your opinion on the:

1. Safety

2. Practicality

... of boring out the chambers on an "SSM" to .327 Federal length and shooting full charge commercial .327 Federal cartridges in it. This could include the full charge Speer 100 and 115gr. Gold-Dot and I suppose even the Buffalo Bore 130gr. hard cast loads.

Is the "SSM" cylinder long enough to support the .327 Fed. with an adequate safety margin? Is the cylinder heat treated to take the jump in pressure?

Do you know of anyone trying this and if so what was the outcome?

Yes I know recoil would get a lot worse but I shoot these loads in a 3" S&W 632-1 Power-Port J-frame now so it couldn't be much worse than that. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=post&f=12#

Yes I also know Ruger offers (on a limited basis) the .327 as a SP101, Blackhawk, GP-100 and even an LCR I think though finding any of these seems to be difficult.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum.

There's many opinions but few backed by real experience. After having reamed a dozen or so Ruger SSMs to 327 Fed mags in the 10 years prior to Ruger's release of their Single Seven shot I can honestly say I've had no problems whatsoever.

1. Safety -
Ruger's 7 shot may have been designed to squeeze another round out of their single six platform (it's the same frame size as the 22.). Ruger seems to have a penchant of late, to have as many chambers in a cyl that will reasonably fit, i.e., the single nine, single ten, 8 shot 327 on the large frame Blackhawk, and most recently the single seven .327 Mag.

Or the 7 shot may have been because an odd # of chambers moves the cyl notch from being centered on the chambers where it's the proverbial weak point of any revolver chamber, to the notch being located between the chambers. That extra strength is one reason that big bore custom revolvers have 5 chambers in most cases.

Therefore if you want to load hot, experiment with longer heavier bullets, and/or experiment with "Ruger Only Loads", I suggest buying a Single 7.

2. Practicality -
Yes, the Ruger 327 S7 cyl and the customs are longer than the 32 H&R SSMs. The cyl uses the entire length of the frame window.

Custom 327 Rugers are very expensive but you get what you pay for and WAIT for. This is a very personal preference only you can decide. Personally, I'd rather have three production guns for the price of one custom.
Even the Bearcat has been converted to a 5 shot 327 by the top pistol smiths.

If you really want a stout 327 that will handle any load you can think up and with any length bullet, I'd recommend the 8 shot stainless Blackhawk or the 6 shot Blackhawk "Buckeye" 32 H&R/32-20 convertible model by reaming its .32 cyl to 327 mag. I've done a few of these. Neither are still produced but they can be found.

3. Recoil -
in the small frame Ruger S6 or S7 can be stout with ROLs but still a non-issue IMO.

4. 32 H&R conversion -
It is true that all the 'professional' conversions use a longer new made cylinder that fills the cyl window and no barrel protruding thru the frame. But after speaking with a few custom builders, they had no concerns over cyl strength.

I do not build cylinders and did not like the price of custom built cyls. I decided the .32 Mag cyl would have to do. Factory loaded .327 Mag cartridges are only ~.003" longer than the factory 32 H&R chambers. Originally I thought I'd have to run the factory loads thru my seating die and seat the bullets a couple of .001" deeper in the case, but didn't have to. Believe it or not they function perfectly by taking advantage of the barrel/cylinder gap spacing. I know it might be counterintuitive but as they say, truth can be stranger than fiction. Even though the .327 Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock and 100 gr FP loads are longer than the .32 H&R Mag chambers, the ~ .005" bar/cyl gap is sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference.

So after reaming and shooting my first five .32 H&R Mag cylinders converted to .327 for several years, I've yet to experience any problems. I shoot full mag loads and some medium reloads. I've never tried to hot rod the cartridge in my conversions. If one reloads with heavier bullets the extra length is usually at the base of the bullet and goes in the case rather than having a longer nose. Even if the nose is a bit longer, the bullets can be seated in the cases a bit deeper so they don't exceed an overall cartridge length of 1.460" the maximum 32 H&R cyl chamber length. Of course use caution to avoid compressed powder charges.

Reaming is extremely simple because such a small amount of material is removed to extend the chamber shoulder: .130", just a bit more than 1/8" deeper (better a little extra than too short). It's a 20 minute ream job in a drill press on the slowest speed setting but some less expensive drill presses may not go slow enough. You can also mount the cyl squarely in a vise and use a variable speed hand drill or a 'T' handle to turn the reamer by hand.

Pacific Tool Makes a 327 reamer:
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=135
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=135_427&sort=20a&page=15
$119

A reamer can be rented as well.

New Model SSM conversion with stainless grip frame:

orig.jpg

Some of my local friends wanted Old Model 3 screw single sixes converted. Of course they are all rim fires so a simple firing pin conversion is also required:

medium800.jpg

Had to enlarge the loading gate chute slightly for the larger cases.

medium800.jpg

In these two shots, you can see where I plugged and re-drilled to lower the RF firing pin and recoil plate for center fire.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Isher2000

Bearcat
Thanks Jim, it's always a pleasure to talk to someone who has "been there and done that". I think that gives me everything I need to make a well informed decision.

Many thanks.

Rick
NRA Endowment
OGCA
Shooter

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I reamed (by hand) a 6.5" SSM cylinder to 327FM and got over a 400fps advantage with 100 gr XTP bullets in very conservative loads.
That is NOT small potatoes in a holster-size SA Ruger. The cylinder conversion took less than an afternoon and I did it sitting down. Factory 327FM loads give me nearly 1500 fps over the Chrony, and I've not found any factory 32H&R that crack 1030-ish in that revolver. There is a huge advantage to the conversion velocity/energy-wise when you're talking about killing live animals.

BTW, if the frame is actually stamped "SSM" that would be a very de$$irable gun and I'd not alter it. Single-Six guns in 32 H&R Mag are not uncommon and much easier on the wallet in case something goes wrong. Also several configurations are out there already.

Convert a 22 Single Six? Lots of unnecessary work to me. Buy a Single-Seven? Sure, but they were rushed into production and had various issues. I had two: both had problems that should never have left the factory - one was unsafe to shoot IMO. With a small accumulation of 32H&R guns, the cylinder conversion was the obvious choice, and I've never looked back. For those who've never hiked/camped in cougar country, it may not seem like a practical conversion, but I like the options.

Shaggy357

Bearcat
I have several 32 Mags and a 327. I was able to purchase a 32 Mag cylinder from another party that went with a different modification. Cylinder has been fit and timing checked with my gun. Now I just need to get this cylinder reamed to accept the 327 brass. I want to try the longer brass with some snake loads. I also have some little SWC cast bullets that should get several 100 fps more with greater powder capacity. 4-D Reamers wanted $40 to rent a reamer last time I checked. $139 thru Pacific. Anyone know of a smith who will rent a reamer for less? Or accept a mailed in cylinder and ream it out?

Steve :)

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
mohavesam said:
Convert a 22 Single Six? Lots of unnecessary work to me.

Except if you want an old model 3 screw 32 mag!

Agreed! My OMSSS 32 Maggie has "most favored handgun status" in my house. Thanks again Hondo44 for helping me out with that project!

NikA

Buckeye
I happen to have just received my .327 PTG chamber reamer back and would be willing to rent it out again. As far as I know, it's been used on two revolver conversion projects at this point. I bought it for a long-term project and am not concerned about lending it out for a couple months if necessary. PM me if interested and we can work out details.