Yet another question for Flatgate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grim Reaper

Bearcat
I ordered and recieved the Iowegan revolver guide. GREAT book!
OK, I see in there that one can remove the corner of the pawl and have a free turning cylinder. How much can be safely removed? What happens if you take off too much ?
Thanks, John

flatgate

Hawkeye
Sorry, I can't help you. I'm NOT a "Free Spin Pawl" fan. The procedure was developed, IIRC, by Gunsmith John Linebaugh explicitly for his .475 and .500 cal. conversions on the Ruger Bisleys. It was installed on those "amazing big boomers" so that one could rotate the cylinder in the reverse direction to "clear" a cartridge from the cylinder that had suffered "bullet crimp jump".

Me? If Im gonna shoot such loads I use a Freedom Arms revolver.......

Sorry I can't offer any additional info. Need more info? Call one of the Gunsmiths whom do such conversions.

JMHO,

flatgate

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Grim Reaper said:
I ordered and recieved the Iowegan revolver guide. GREAT book!
OK, I see in there that one can remove the corner of the pawl and have a free turning cylinder. How much can be safely removed? What happens if you take off too much ?
Thanks, John

Article on how to do it.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/freespin.html

...Jimbo

Grim Reaper

Bearcat
Flatgate, you are still my gunsmithing hero, even if you don't do the conversion!
Jimbo357mag, That is exactly what I needed to know.
Thank you both for your replies. I really do appreciate them. John

flatgate

Hawkeye
One could simply purchase a Ruger free spin pawl. They come in centerfires, in both, the "medium" and "large" framed revolvers.

147309720.jpg

flatgate

Grim Reaper

Bearcat
flatgate said:
One could simply purchase a Ruger free spin pawl. They come in centerfires, in both, the "medium" and "large" framed revolvers.

Had I known that I would have ordered one from Ruger. I guess it's time to call them. Thanks fellas, I really do appreciate it!! John

img]http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL437/657373/6924445/147309720.jpg[/img]

flatgate

Grim Reaper

Bearcat
I must have done something wrong trying to copy a quote.
What I meant to say ws that if I had know that I could order a free spin pawl, I would have. I never know that you could order them from the factory. I guess it's time to call Ruger.
Thanks everybody!! John

flatgate

Hawkeye
You might want to "hold off" on the free spin nomenclature and, instead, figure out the part number for the pawl installed on one of the 50th Anniversary Blackhawks. Medium frame? Get the .357 cal. version. Large frame? Get the .44 cal. version.

Shopping "on line" with Brownells is pretty slick....... as well.

flatgate