Yard deer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We've had a Family group roaming around for months now. A 6 point, a doe and 2 fawns. I've never seen such before. It's almost rut time so I'll see if they stay together. Usually the Bucks separate into bachelor groups.

Around here, everyone carries a rifle year-round and some are decent shots. Even killing every coyote we see doesn't affect the area population. I think I read one report that said killing 60-65% of overall coyote population yearly would reduce the total population after several years. We average 3-5 female coyotes off this farm every winter w/o any noticeable affect.

While I do attempt to shoot any coyote I see, my trail cameras in SW GA sends me photos of bobcats, coyotes, fox and feral swine. Yet we seem to have a bumper crop of fawns surviving this year. The farmer we lease from says he cannot recall ever seeing so many fawns before.

Must be climate change.

I can hear 5-6 packs/family groups of coyotes within a couple miles any evening. Now that the pups are out of the dens, it sounds like literally hundreds of yoties barking/yipping/squealing in every direction.
We have plenty of deer(an overabundance actually) but livestock owners struggle constantly to keep coyote damage at a minimum. We spend over $2K per year on food for the guard dogs. W/o those dogs, there wouldn't be any possibility of having sheep, goats, or pasture hogs.
You can't really judge how many fawns are killed early in the year w/o being out in the field every day. We used to estimate 5 does would raise 5-6 fawns. Lately, it's fairly normal to see 5-6 does with 2-3 fawns. Maybe I'm missing something?

I got this cell phone picture of four good size does eating dropped apples. The tree is less than 20' from the house. My neighbor has been seeing a big coyote at night when he takes his dogs out but it doesn't seem to effect the deer.

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_185128982.jpg
    IMG_20230904_185128982.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 49

harley08

Blackhawk
Three does picking up acorns under one of our big oak trees this morning. Less than 100' from the front door. Downside: no fawns in sight so probably coyote food.
.22lr head shot = Venison!

Last edited:

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I've had a young buck following me for the last two years or so. I was cutting cedar, turned around and he is within 10 feet. Startled me as I thought I was the only one around for miles. Last month I went to the meat house after dark. Leaving, I put the light on the ground to check for rattlesnakes, I took two steps and he and I are face to face. I jumped straight up!! Wasn't expecting that!! This is every day I'm there. I'm afraid someone will take him home in an ice chest but that can't be helped. He is real close to being a lap deer.