Wouldn't a fixed sight Blackhawk in .44 mag be nice....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
C'mon contender, who's gonna listen to you? You one of those cowboy shooters that caused this disaster. :lol:

maxpress

Buckeye
i will take that 4 5/8 .44 jengal. just bout the nv.45 because i wanted the .44 with a might shorter barrel and couldnt find one

emailed your store

contender

Ruger Guru
I have never used any of the Ruger Vaquero's in SASS. I use a pair of OM Flattop 357's or a pair of OM 44's I have. I shoot modern catagory. In fact, I only have a few of the Vaquero's that are shooters. A few in 45 Colt, and gee, one in 44 mag that I bought just because someone wanted to sell it & it was a fair price. I believe the price was $300. And I just liked the gun.

MBane666

Bearcat
As the owner of a couple of .44 Magnum Vaqueros, before they were discontinued they were selling on the big Internet sits for kibble and bits (where I got mine), because nobody wanted 'em. That's why they got discontinued...cowboy shooters didn't have a thing to do with it.

Michael B

PS: Still great guns! Am always in the market for one at a good price...

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the owner of a couple of .44 Magnum Vaqueros, before they were discontinued they were selling on the big Internet sits for kibble and bits (where I got mine), because nobody wanted 'em. That's why they got discontinued...cowboy shooters didn't have a thing to do with it.

Lets see now the Vaquero was made for the Cowboy shooter, THANKS TO JOE BOWMAN.
So when none of the Cowboy shooters wanted a 44mag. they went away. Makes since to me.
Wonder why they still make the Vaquero in 45 Colt? And not a 44 Mag. It just might be because that is what the Cowboy shooters SHOOT HHHHMMMM

Well,
All of you guys have hit it on the head. Most of the CAS guys didn't give a S#it about the 44 mag. The Vaquero was made for CAS guys. End of story :roll: :roll:
If it is a adjustable sight gun you want buy the thing.
If you want a fixed sight gun that says Vaquero on the side buy it.
Probably in the last 20 years Ruger has sold more Vaqueros than any other single action. Just a guess.
What do I know. I shoot CAS and most want a Cowboy looking gun. End of story.
Well I shoot Old three screws. Why because I like them. Do I shoot Vaqueros somtimes???
Jim

Rclark

Hunter
I got my .45 Vaquero because I 'wanted' one. It was a way for me to get my hands on a 'historical' caliber at a reasonable price. Trail dust, campfires, army, cowboys, indians, frontier, etc. All cross mind when picking up the 'o .45..... No I don't do CAS.... I shoot only one load through it. Know where it shoots. So nice tag along woods gun. Sights can never be knocked out of alignment.

That said ... the Blackhawks with adjustable sights allow you to setup for an infinite number of loads. A modern six-gun. There is a place for these revolvers too :) . However ... I wonder how many actually change loads all the time... I've settled on a load for each of mine and stick with it, so sights rarely get adjusted after sight in.... When I pick up one of my revolvers, I like to be assured of where it is going to shoot....

Now the .44mag is the odd man out. It came out in 1955/56. The .44 Special 1907. The .44 Russian is right in there as is .44-40... later 1800s, but you don't here much about it being chambered ... even for CAS... So really no 'historical' reason for the .44mag chambering for fixed sights. Give me a .44mag in 'adjustable' sights. :) (Oh, yeah, got my .44 50th flattop just for that reason :D ) . Just load up a good 'o .45 with fixed sights :) . The .38/.357 again is an aberration in all of this as it is popular is CAS I understand :roll: .... Kind of an oxymoron in my mind ... but the .38 does get 'under the wire' so to speak as I remember it started in 1899, but .357 in 1935. pop pop pop ....

Enjoy them all...... that's my motto :D .

maxpress

Buckeye
so get a blackhawk, get the tp strap rounded off with a sight chanel and have the front sight changed. thats how mcgivern originally did it when he broght it to bill ruger.

btw a 2min search on google popped up about 10 vaqueros on gunsamerica and gunbroker

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I'm just speculating here, but from posts I've read over the years, I think the market for the .44 Mag Vaquero was similar to the market for fixed sight Freedom Arms revolvers - a powerful, sturdy field gun that is reasonably accurate over short ranges. I gathered from posts that many buyers lived in the western part of the country, in the lower 48, and liked to spend time in the outdoors. A .44 Vaquero or a hot-loaded .45 Colt Vaquero made a dandy field gun at much less cost than a Freedom Arms. There was no reason for Ruger not to offer the .44 chambering. No reason, that is, until the down-sized new Vaquero replaced the Vaquero. While that purpose may not have been the reason for the Vaquero, I suspect that they would still offer the .44 if there was any reason for them to continue offering the large-frame along with the medium frame but that apparently makes no economic sense to them.

MBane666

Bearcat
Living out in the west as I do, the .44 Vaquero is a superb "packing pistol." I just sent one of mine to Hamilton Bowen to have the barrel shortened to 4 inches (shortest I could get and retain a full stroke of the ejector rod), fit a birdshead grip frame to Vaquero, clean up the trigger, regulate the sights for a "midrange" load (300-gr LaserCast bullets @ roughly 1000 fps), then send it on to Doug Turnbull to make it pretty. I got a Holliday-styled crossdraw holster to carry it in from M. J. Keenan.

I anticipate the Vaquero replacing my current knockaround trail gun, "THUMPER," an ancient Super Blackhawk with a 5-inch cut barrel, an aluminum frame and a larger basepin I fitted years ago. THUMPER has been fitted with a beautiful pair of Colorado elk grips from the Executioner. I've been carrying it in an FA crossdraw that somehow came into my hands.

Michael B

CraigC

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73":deisgrya said:
contender":deisgrya said:
Oh, except for the very few folks who can't find the gun they want without doing a little work & research to find a discontinued, (due to lower sales,) model. Then those same folks cry & whine because they can't find what they want.

I suggest you do a little research & hunt for a good Vaquero in 44 mag & stop being rude to the CAS folks and Ruger.

Bingo!!! You got it contender! To put it in more sarcastic terms perhaps...you want a model after it's discontinued and not while they were widely and easily ordered... snooze and lose. :wink:

Exactly! Even though I don't shoot CAS, I am a SASS member and tire of the condescending comments towards CAS shooters. If it were not for the sport, we would not have the plethora of Old West guns previously unavailable to the average shooter. Including the Vaquero. Lots of the guns I own, enjoy and lust after today would not be available to me if it were not for Cowboy Action Shooting.

CraigC":34xmohog said:
BlkHawk73":34xmohog said:
contender":34xmohog said:
Oh, except for the very few folks who can't find the gun they want without doing a little work & research to find a discontinued, (due to lower sales,) model. Then those same folks cry & whine because they can't find what they want.

I suggest you do a little research & hunt for a good Vaquero in 44 mag & stop being rude to the CAS folks and Ruger.

Bingo!!! You got it contender! To put it in more sarcastic terms perhaps...you want a model after it's discontinued and not while they were widely and easily ordered... snooze and lose. :wink:

Exactly! Even though I don't shoot CAS, I am a SASS member and tire of the condescending comments towards CAS shooters. If it were not for the sport, we would not have the plethora of Old West guns previously unavailable to the average shooter. Including the Vaquero. Lots of the guns I own, enjoy and lust after today would not be available to me if it were not for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Thank you guys.
As most of you know I'm a CAS shooter and I do pretty good at it and love the game/sport. Have the belt buckles and stuff to go with it. My best Pards are CAS guys. Well I just shot a CAS match yesterday and today. After the matches we ate hot dogs drank beer and shot the s#it. How much better can it get???

I really had to bite my tongue to keep from coming down hard on this RUDE JERK. I didn't want to upset flatgate or anybody else. His post really offended me and my Pards I'm sure it was meant to :evil:
I have been on this forum 6 years, and love it along with my CAS, but that doesn't make me special. When I here crap like this from a new member it really makes me sad.
I answered his question as why I THINK Ruger quit making the 44 mag.
Out of 80 shooters today one shoots a 44 mag Vaqueros and the only reason is he has TWO Supers. Now even a dumb arsh CAS shooter like me can figure out why Ruger doesn't make them now.
So why did they go to the mid frame 357 & 45 Vaqueros? Because that is where the MONEY IS CAS.
Thanks guys. The longer I type the madder I get. Not going to match wits with this Nice Guy, It would be like duling with an unarmed man :lol:
Just a CAS Guy,
Jim

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim":ewgfcy17 said:
His post really offended me and my Pards I'm sure it was meant to...
Understandably so, it WAS offensive and I agree that it was meant to be. I just chalk it up as pure ignorance.

street

Hunter
Wyandot Jim":34w26zc9 said:
The longer I type the madder I get. Not going to match wits with this Nice Guy, It would be like duling with an unarmed man :lol:
Just a CAS Guy,
Jim

Just remember this Wayandot Jim!!! You can't win an argument with an Idiot. Because they don't use or understand logic. :lol: :lol: :roll:

gak

Buckeye
At least a few of us enjoy/prefer the look and feel of the smoothed profile, don't have the gun primarily for either frequent range or "serious" hunting duty, but instead as a handy trail gun that holsters and draws with minimum hang-up, that shoots minute of critter at the likely distances one would be most frequently shot--and (the .44 Mag part) especially in a wide range of easily-found over-the-counter loads that can handle just about anything in North America at those distances. The lack of sales relative to CAS does not surprise me (and thus the discontinuance)...but that does not change one whit the desirability of the combination described above for my and others' purposes. As some have suggested, unfortunately it's just that there aren't enough of us for Ruger to justify o & m of a discreet assembly line for.

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":2m6qjuhf said:
Funny, the OP hasn't responded for a bit. :lol:

I suspected the OP might be a Troll, but I searched and found that his other recent posts seemed okay.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
CraigC":1an11lhu said:
Wyandot Jim":1an11lhu said:
His post really offended me and my Pards I'm sure it was meant to...
Understandably so, it WAS offensive and I agree that it was meant to be. I just chalk it up as pure ignorance.

I have been a CAS shooter and SASS member for 16 years now. I too was offended by such idiotic comments. I love it when, in the political climate we are in these days, one shooter tries to disparage other shooters simply because they do not not "play the same game". (this dweezlenut shoots Colts in CAS...in 38-40 no less)

When it comes time to vote on gun rights, I sure hope all of the "dweezlenuts" go to the polls.

So tell us Piratedude.....just what type of shooting do YOU approve of?