Winter casting ....?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

callshot

Blackhawk
The unthinkable has just happened. A neighbor (middle shot), that lives between myself and sixshot got a new toy (gun) for Christmas or there abouts. Naturally he wants to shoot it. He has everything except the cast bullets and the dies. The dies will be here in a day or two. I could see the frown on his face when he phoned me to ask a little favor. :shock: :cry: Since sixshot is out of commission, they wanted me to do a little bit of casting for him. My soft tissue around my oversized heart relented. He said that he would like ONLY 300. :roll: I don't usually cast in the winter. His voice was starting to quiver and I heard what sounded like a tear hit the floor and splash clean up to his knee! :!: :oops: :!: It froze and caused him to hurt even more. It was minus 10 degrees this morning. When it had warmed up to about plus 14 I started melting the wheel weight ingots and warming up sixshot's mould with my handles on. My right foot got almost frost bitten. My left peg leg faired much better. I couldn't believe what I was doing. It was 5 degrees colder than Hell, and I know because I have been there many times. I was cranking out the bullets about as fast as my teeth were chattering. There is something about a rhythm while you work that makes time just fly by. I forgot that I hadn't even eaten in all day until sixshot phoned and wanted to go get something to snack on. I got out of rhythm once because I had to hit the mould handle extra hard to get the bullet to fall out of the mould, and I ended up chipping one of my teeth. My mother told me to never chip my teeth, just settle down! When I ran out of molten lead and put everything away I turned the crank on old Bettsy but she wouldn't turn over so I had to push her back into the garage. I took my handles off the mould and put the bullets and mould in a container for Middleshot just as he came to pick them up. I had worked pretty hard and by not eating I had lost soo much weight that my peg leg fell off and I had to hobble and wobble into the house. Now I sit here under my blanket, my teeth have quit chattering and I can start to feel my right foot. :roll: All this just so a neighbor (friend) could get out to shoot his new toy! I wish him well with his new 443 nice shiny newly cast bullets. :wink: :wink: :wink: good shooting Bryce.
Steve

anachronism

Single-Sixer
8.5 out of a possible 10 points. You could have easily gotten the extra 1.5 points had you thrown in starving orphans, or something about middleshot needing the bullets to protect his family, or perhaps the afore suggested orphans, from a herd of stampeding elephants that were threatening the local food supply. You did really, really well for a first draft.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
anachronism said:
8.5 out of a possible 10 points. You could have easily gotten the extra 1.5 points had you thrown in starving orphans, or something about middleshot needing the bullets to protect his family, or perhaps the afore suggested orphans, from a herd of stampeding elephants that were threatening the local food supply. You did really, really well for a first draft.

Hi,

Dunno... I was told early in life never ruin a "true story" w/ too many facts. :D

Rick C

contender

Ruger Guru
I think sixshot pawned that youngster middleshot off on you. Middleshot won't know how to act if a coyote pops up & all he has is a handgun. But,, a trip down to the local mexican restaurant with an order of all you can eat with Middleshot paying will allow that pegleg to fit snugly again.
Besides,, casting in cold weather for one day is equal to a month long workout at the gym.
Go reward yourself with a fine mexican meal now!

callshot

Blackhawk
Sorry, I forgot the starving orphans. I fell asleep in the recliner and when I woke up my glass eye was gone and I can't see it anywhere. Hope this isn't too much information. Sixshot says that he will keep an eye out for it! I need to enroll in another creative writing evening class as the last one failed. :wink:
Steve

anachronism

Single-Sixer
callshot said:
Sorry, I forgot the starving orphans. I fell asleep in the recliner and when I woke up my glass eye was gone and I can't see it anywhere. Hope this isn't too much information. Sixshot says that he will keep an eye out for it! I need to enroll in another creative writing evening class as the last one failed. :wink:
Steve

Your score is now updated to 9.5. Nice recovery.

LAH

Buckeye
Had you only cast 300 you might not have needed the blanket. HEE HEE

Latest posts