Why the Dislike for Polymer Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
exavid said:
I thought my old model 39 was the greatest though I admired the model 59 for it's double stacked magazine. The 59 grip was too thick for my hands so I bought the 39. The plastic Ruger SR9 combined the good features of the model 39 and 59 and threw in a couple more rounds in the magazine to good luck. The grips are as thin as the 39 even with the extra rounds.

My first 9 was a Browning High Power, second was a S&W Model 39. The model 39 was stolen and I sold the Browning, wish I still had them.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
lemons said:
I have no problem with plastic guns.

I have yet to see one break or malfunction.

It's a style thing... maybe it's generational.
Well....they do break and malfunction. I had a S&W 40F fracture its frame. Guy on the LCP Forum months ago F'd his LCP frame just popping out his takedown pin. No, I've excepted the plastic era, but there will always be a place for the old steel in my heart.

lemons

Bearcat
Conn AK said:
lemons said:

Well....they do break and malfunction. I had a S&W 40F fracture its frame. Guy on the LCP Forum months ago F'd his LCP frame just popping out his takedown pin. No, I've excepted the plastic era, but there will always be a place for the old steel in my heart.

Yup, like I said, I have yet to SEE one break.

But one time, I did see aliens land in my backyard.

DDDWho

Bearcat
Its like a Timex compared to a E. Howard 21 jewel Railroad Chronometer. The Timex keeps time alright and takes a licking and keeps on ticking but the Howard is to cherished and passed down through generations.

exavid

Hunter
DDDWho said:
Its like a Timex compared to a E. Howard 21 jewel Railroad Chronometer. The Timex keeps time alright and takes a licking and keeps on ticking but the Howard is to cherished and passed down through generations.
I'm glad my grandfather didn't pass his pocket watch down to me. I prefer something more modern that keeps exact time and doesn't need me winding it. I've never been interested in keeping old stuff just because it's old. If one is a collector of such stuff more power to you but I prefer to have stuff that's most functional for me. Poly guns are those more functional devices. I like light weight, low maintenance guns. In handguns that pretty well means polymer. Stainless steel and poly are about as light, low maintenace and functional as you can get. Nice to look at a 1913 Pierce Arrow, made out of steel and wood but I prefer to drive something newer which means it will be made of less steel and more plastic. Aviation is going the same way, less metal and more plastic. Boats have gone the polymer way pretty much exclusively in the past forty years. Same reason. Light weight, low maintenance.

oilcangary

Single-Sixer
Ever hear of a Remington Nylon 66. They have been around for a while and the one's I have seen seem to be holding up pretty good.

exavid

Hunter
Yes indeed, I remember when they came out and all of us were calling them 'Daisys'. They really seemed like BB guns at the time. All that aside they worked well and were plenty durable. I saw a couple of them at a gun show this past weekend and they both looked to be in good shape even though one of them was almost 62 years old. Yep, them plastic guns will never hold up.

DDDWho

Bearcat
I will restate my pervious post "Its all about money", yours and the manufacturer. This is true of the Nylon 66 as well. If plastic is a better material they would make the entire gun out of it.

While cleaning my SR40 after a day at the range recently I had the gun apart holding nothing in my hand except the frame and the stamped parts that did not come off easily, no slide or magazine. It felt really light and as I gazed down into the empty shell I could not help but think ... this is a cheap POS.

For those who are happy with plastic guns and think they are the greatest thing since fire I'm happy for you. I'm just not in that category.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
DDDWho said:
I will restate my pervious post "Its all about money", yours and the manufacturer. This is true of the Nylon 66 as well. If plastic is a better material they would make the entire gun out of it.

While cleaning my SR40 after a day at the range recently I had the gun apart holding nothing in my hand except the frame and the stamped parts that did not come off easily, no slide or magazine. It felt really light and as I gazed down into the empty shell I could not help but think ... this is a cheap POS.

It does shoot good tho.

Not that manufacturing costs aren't important, they are very much so, but it's not "all about the money".
It's also very much about offering the customers what they wanted, and that was a lighter carry weight. It's not that I was the worlds biggest fan of the AR15, I wasn't. But I did spend my time as an US Army Infantryman right during the changeover period from M14s to the AR15s and had the privilege of spending days on end humping both in the field. Try walking through rough terrain 10-12 hours a day with both weapons and their basic ammo load, you'll learn to appreciate the difference real quick.
Same holds true for the LE and CCW customers of today, a large percentage will tell you they don't want a haul around a 3+lb slab of steel all day when the same job can be accomplished with a tool almost 50% lighter.
Yep its 2012 and for better or worse things have changed, in large part cause manufacturers are responding to the customers needs and desires. And not just because the bean counters are looking to build they employers profit margins.
Sal

Sal1950

Blackhawk
As a further comment, question really. Do we have any younger guys here that worked as armorers over the last 10 years or so? If so, what is your experience with the AR's and M60s still around from the 60-70s. Are the poly parts holding up or have you seen issues?
Sal

exavid

Hunter
DDDWho said:

Now there's a brilliant statement. So why put a wood stock on a rifle since steel is a better material the entire gun should be made of it.

lemons

Bearcat
I can't wait for a fully plastic gun.... now THAT'S some James Bond stuff right there....

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
lemons said:

Have you seen any 80 and 100 year old plastic guns?

I wonder about things like retaining pins wallowing out the holes in the frame.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Iron Mike Golf said:

Wont matter. Todays plastics will be obsolete long before then, and they're not exactly collectors.

DDDWho

Bearcat
exavid said:
DDDWho said:

Now there's a brilliant statement. So why put a wood stock on a rifle since steel is a better material the entire gun should be made of it.

Your attempt at sarcasm shows you missed the point.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Some guns should be wood and steel, others should be plastic and aluminum. Both the Mini 14 and AR15 are fine rifles. Much of their character and enduring appeal is owed to their construction. The Mini is an economical and rugged rifle made of traditional wood and steel, really its a screamin' bargain for what it costs. The AR is still as modern as tomorrow, easily customized and user friendly. Though they are polar opposites in terms of construction and appearance both have earned their place and are enduring favorites.

Latest American Rifleman has a brief write-up on the FNH USA FNP-45, a 14-shot single/double action .45ACP autoloader that can be carried cocked'n'locked or used true double action. It has all ambidextrous controls (except for the takedown lever). It has a poly lower frame, and an MSRP of $795 which is close to the SR1911.

Looks interesting.

JMHO

:)

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
Iron Mike Golf said:

Wont matter. Todays plastics will be obsolete long before then, and they're not exactly collectors.

Collectability and the notion of passing a gun down to a family member versus durability can go a long way towards like/dislike of a poly-framed gun, though.

exavid

Hunter
100 year old people, cars, and a lot of things don't look so good. So if the 'plastic' gun lasts 50 years wouldn't you say you'd gotten your money's worth out of it? There precious few 100 year old guns that have no plastic in them that one would like to seriously use today. Try some modern loads in a lot of those 100 year old guns.

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
I like all-steel better for aesthetics, but I often carry a polymer frame autopistol for the light weight, light recoil, and high capacity.

I don't dislike plastic: a Ruger P95 carries and shoots very well for me, and I have 100% confidence in it. A good tool is a good tool.

Regards,
Dirty Bob