Why the Dislike for Polymer Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I will admit that certain gun components seem to work out in plastic. So long as they perform the intended function in the intended manner, I really cannot lodge a complaint based on facts.

It will remain to be seen how they hold up long-term. I'm not saying they will not nold up, but I've seen too many plastic parts deteriorate and crumble after a few years. We'll see.

I own a Glock and a .22/45 and so far they seem to be working out just fine . . . and I cannot complain much about the aesthetics of either gun, now that the Glock's "robust, industrial" persona has grown on me somewhat. (OK . . . it's a brick, but a functional brick)

But, curmudgeon that I am, I just find guns with major plastic components lacking in "soul", however you define that characteristic. That's of considerable importance to me.

Yes, it's JMHO.

:)

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
DDDWho said:
Time will tell on the durability factor...
It sure will. I wonder about the long-term effect of oils, solvents, ultraviolent rays, and other chemical factors on the plastic frames. Not long ago I discovered a polymer piece in a gun that had, over the course of several years, simply crumbled into chunks, apparently due to absorbing common gun oil. Disturbing. :?

This is something we need to remain aware of. We're still in a transition period like we were some years back with gasoline. When lead was banned the refinery's started adding alcohol and all manner of new chemicals to make up for the missing lead. Many found out the hard way not only in their cars but in all manner of gasoline powered engines that lots of parts like hoses, o-rings, and internal plastic parts were not compatible with the new swill they now call gasoline. Tetra-ethyl lead was an amazing additive that brought many outstanding properties to gas, some of which we have yet to find a really good substitute for.
So if you got a poly gun just pay attention that the manufacturer approves it use on poly. And I don't know if they really know for sure yet. ;(
Sal

gunman42782

Hunter
Because, no matter what you do to them, they will not look, feel, or shoot like this:
handgun-pistol-colt-o1980xse-govt-45-bl.jpg

bspitt

Single-Sixer
gunman42782 said:
Because, no matter what you do to them, they will not look, feel, or shoot like this:
handgun-pistol-colt-o1980xse-govt-45-bl.jpg

not sayin this will look, feel, or shoot like that...but someone is tryin:

Rock River Polymer 1911:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rock-river-arms-polymer-1911/

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Many a good gun company has tried to release a plastic version of a classic gun and most times they either end up a poor entry level weapon to the make or just a complete disaster. Several gun makers have made plastico 1911's that went over like lead balloons.
The best comparisons of my point although involve other classic designs, Sigs and CZ, great steel guns (some aluminum), just terrible or at least almost terrible in plastic.

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
Really a lot good words about this subject. There are some good reasons why some dislike polymer and there are some good reason why some like it. For me I will say no polymer for the 1911 and single actions, but as far as a CCW polymer frames cannot beat. With polymer manufacting is less costly just in material and man hours while still produceing a light weight quality part. I have two P95 my first was purchased when they first came out and right now it has close to 14000 rounds through it, from being cleaned the frame has been wiped down with Hoppe'9. alcohol, oil, gun scrubber, brake cleaner, and ever dropped in saltwater. I think it was the brake cleaner that turned it a littlle white but a few wipe downs with gun oil corrected that. As of now I see no problems with the P95's polymer framer it still shoots and functions as good as the day it was purchased.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Ruger Packer said:
Conn AK said:
Carried my stainless steel S&W 639 for years. Like carrying a cinder block. The SR9 has replaced the 639 with more than twice the mag capacity and much lighter to carry. The 639 floors the SR9 in workmanship and attention to detail, but progress means more flexibility. Both flawless mechanically, I couldn't rationalize 17 rounds versus 8 rounds in a much lighter package that is nearly as accurate as the 639. Oh, yeah, the SR9 in 2011 is less expensive than the S&W 639 was 1988. But the 639 is a beautifully made hunk of steel.

Wanna sell me your Smiff & Wishin' 639??? :wink:

I have a Smiff 39. Love it! 8)
Yeah, the 39 is nearly as classic as the 1911. They'll never attain that level of workmanship in a mass-produced handgun again. The 39 and one of its offspring, the 639, were built to last a 100 years. My 639 has countless thousands of rounds through it. Probably 4-5 thousand reloads alone. A few years ago I replaced the recoil spring. Not because I had to...just thought I would. Automation and inexpensive materials rule the day in gun manufacturing now. Imagine the skill it took to make that S&W Model 39. Now that I carry the SR9 (had a Glock), the 639 gets more safe time. It has done its job without failure for years. Just wish it carried 18 rounds.

exavid

Hunter
I use a plastic battery powered electric drill instead of my old hand cranked drill. Not much class but sure makes holes faster. My P345 launches .45s as well as a 1911 and has the advantage of a DA/SA action. It's a lot more accurate than the 1911 I had in the army.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
bennettfam said:
Why dislike plastic guns?

Because they have no class. Good tools maybe, but no class.
That about hits it on the head...even though I've reluctantly gone plastic.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
Many a good gun company has tried to release a plastic version of a classic gun and most times they either end up a poor entry level weapon to the make or just a complete disaster. Several gun makers have made plastico 1911's that went over like lead balloons.
The best comparisons of my point although involve other classic designs, Sigs and CZ, great steel guns (some aluminum), just terrible or at least almost terrible in plastic.

STI has enjoyed some success with the 2011. :p
Sal

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Conn AK said:
Ruger Packer said:
Conn AK said:
Carried my stainless steel S&W 639 for years. Like carrying a cinder block. The SR9 has replaced the 639 with more than twice the mag capacity and much lighter to carry. The 639 floors the SR9 in workmanship and attention to detail, but progress means more flexibility. Both flawless mechanically, I couldn't rationalize 17 rounds versus 8 rounds in a much lighter package that is nearly as accurate as the 639. Oh, yeah, the SR9 in 2011 is less expensive than the S&W 639 was 1988. But the 639 is a beautifully made hunk of steel.

Wanna sell me your Smiff & Wishin' 639??? :wink:

I have a Smiff 39. Love it! 8)
Yeah, the 39 is nearly as classic as the 1911. They'll never attain that level of workmanship in a mass-produced handgun again. The 39 and one of its offspring, the 639, were built to last a 100 years. My 639 has countless thousands of rounds through it. Probably 4-5 thousand reloads alone. A few years ago I replaced the recoil spring. Not because I had to...just thought I would. Automation and inexpensive materials rule the day in gun manufacturing now. Imagine the skill it took to make that S&W Model 39. Now that I carry the SR9 (had a Glock), the 639 gets more safe time. It has done its job without failure for years. Just wish it carried 18 rounds.

IIRC, the Smiff Model 59 carries 15 rounds. 8)

exavid

Hunter
I thought my old model 39 was the greatest though I admired the model 59 for it's double stacked magazine. The 59 grip was too thick for my hands so I bought the 39. The plastic Ruger SR9 combined the good features of the model 39 and 59 and threw in a couple more rounds in the magazine to good luck. The grips are as thin as the 39 even with the extra rounds.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for a few dollars worth of injection molded plastic. The prices should have dropped by half when everything started going plastic.

lemons

Bearcat
I have no problem with plastic guns.

I have yet to see one break or malfunction.

It's a style thing... maybe it's generational.