Why convert a DA/SA revolver to DAO?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeko

Single-Sixer
TreeDoc said:
Wish I could have had a camera, she instinctively tried to thumb back the hammer. She looked at me and says "what the hell"

Funny, I hear that almost every day and it isn't in reference to firearms!

bogus bill

Hunter
In 1966 in los angeles there was a case where lenard deadwhiler was speeding his wife to the hospital to have a baby. He was stopped for speeding and the officer leaned in the car with his DA revolver cocked. Somehow deadwhiler started out again and the officers arm was jarred and the gun went off. That case made johnny cockran. Afterwards lapd made alterations on their revolvers to fire DA only. You got me why a officer would need to cock a gun on someone he had the barrel screwed in his ear but I can easily speculate.
I had the spur taken off my S&W model 60 and flattened and checked so it could be cocked with care for single action fire if I wanted to shoot SA. I did it to not snag my pants pocket as I never carried it in a holster or pocket holster, I carried it for about 35 years that way untill it was stolen along with my truck. I always just carried it in my pocket. Of course neither ever showed up. I replaced it with a old s&w model 40 hammerless but really I miss my model 60. I shot it plenty in SA mode. It got shot everytime I went out shooting with my other guns even if it was only for a couple shots. I would do it all over again if I found another s&w 36 or model 60. I see no good reason to de spur any revolver worn in a holster.

Guns11.jpg

ronto

Hunter
I recently traded a DAO SP101 for the DA/SA model. The 14# trigger of the DAO was getting to be too much for my arthritic hands and the 6# trigger in SA mode was much easier...the method that worked well for the old west gun fighters is good enough for me.

Boge

Single-Sixer
...Single action worked for Bat Masterson, Doc Holiday Wild Bill and a few others .

RonT said:
...the method that worked well for the old west gun fighters is good enough for me.

You guys need to lay off the Western Channel. Your typical criminal today ain't packin' a hogleg. Most people don't like DAO shooting for the simple reasons that it's hard to master and many shooters are lazy. They want to goof around and plink and not do serious training. That's fine & dandy.............unless you carry a CCW. Then one needs to do some serious preparation. Elmer Keith himself said that DA revolver shooting was the hardest skill to master with a handgun and he's right. I don't care how good someone is with a cocked revolver in broad daylight at a local range as your chances of being held up and robbed at gunpoint are pretty slim at the Izaak Walton Club. :p

DAO shooting takes more focused practice/training but the dividends are worth it in that it makes one a better all 'round shooter and that includes better SA shooting when hunting or plinking as it teaches one how to master the trigger.

If you still say no then read this by one of the preeminent revolversmiths in the country:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/the_case_for_dao.html

JmE

Single-Sixer
While I don't necessarily disagree with most of that... many of us that carry a single action only revolver as an EDC do just fine. I'm most proficient with my single action followed very closely by my 1911. I'm proficient enough with my SP101 but it would probably take me years to get to the same level as with the other two platforms. I cannot afford the ammunition to do that and frankly am not willing to spend that amount of my time. It's great for those that choose to but it simply isn't my cup of tea.

Brasso

Bearcat
I have always shot a revolver better in double action. Regardless of how much time I have to shoot. I think it has something to do with reducing the tendancy to flinch as double action shooting requires follow through and the shot tends to surprise you. Best I can figure.

Joe S.

Hunter
If I wanna shoot SA, I grab a Ruger. When I shoot a DA, I shoot it DA. I haven't had it deleted cause my carry guns are hammer less DAO's and I don't carry a DA/SA. But I don't shoot a DA in SA mode....

JmE

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
They don't poke you in the stomach when you carry them IWB. :D :D
lol. That's true. I never carry IWB so these details escape my attention.

DGW1949

Hunter
djturnz said:
any ruger said:
Single action worked for Bat Masterson, Doc Holiday Wild Bill and a few others .
I think with a Glock and enough magazines I could have ruled the wild west. lol

Perhaps you haven't shot side by side with a skilled CAS shooter.

It aint the equipment that matters.

DGW

Dregg

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
I never cock the hammer on my double action revolvers, I think it is poor form. The purpose of training with your carry gun is so you are good with it when you need to be. I practice in double action, so I'm ready to shoot in double action. I got a good deal on my sp101 and it is a DAO, I haven't missed the hammer yet. Conversly my security six and model 60 both have hammers and I have no intention of bobbing them, but I never cock the hammers. Most of my revolvers are single action, Ed

^^This^^

Been shooting revolvers since 1991 and guess what? I never shoot them in "single action."
Several years ago I picked up a .357 SP101 and I replaced the hammer to a DAO one. I wanted a smooth drawing snag free defensive weapon and the DAO SP101 fit the bill nicely. I have since picked up another DAO SP101 in .357.

sp101pair.jpg

Boge

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
Perhaps you haven't shot side by side with a skilled CAS shooter.

It aint the equipment that matters.

DGW

Perhaps you skipped History class: they didn't shoot smokeless "mousefart" .38 loads in the Old West. They shot blackpowder as well as one handed. :lol: :wink:

eveled

Hawkeye
Dregg said:
[/quote]

Nice set of guns. That is the way a combat revolver should be, fixed sights, bobbed hammer, rounded edges, small grips. Just about perfect. IMHO.