Ruger Speed Six 3" 38spl DA/SA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I saw 3" 38spl Speed Six da/sa for sale with a 162- prefix. I though it might be a GS-83(DAO) NYCPD contract gun which was converted to da/sa. The seller said there wasn't a 5 pointed star stamped into the frame so it would've had to be a factory over run. It's absolutely a 3" barrel not 2 3/4" so my question is did Ruger make any other true 3" barreled Speed Sixes in 38spl other than for NYCPD?

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Yes they did, for the USPS Postal Inspectors (s/n went up to 162-23446) and they would have been DA/SA from the factory.
Yes, but this one is 38spl only. I believe it's 162-54xxx which is later than mine 162-426xx.

Last edited:

dan12176

Bearcat
Yes they did, for the USPS Postal Inspectors (s/n went up to 162-23446) and they would have been DA/SA from the factory.
Hello RoninPA. I'm new to the forum. You appear very knowledgeable in police issued rugers. I'm looking for a security six that was previous PA state police. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. They also had a 80th anniversary ruger that appears to be very scarce as well. Thank you

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum Dan!

Yes,, Ron is one of our top DA collectors,, as well as a few other folks! (weaselmeatgravy, Terry T, ) and I'm sure they will chime in soon with any info they may have.
An 80th anniversary gun would be an 80th for a department,, not a Ruger 80th anniversary.

dan12176 - I'm going to need to do some digging on those particular handguns. I do know that in June 1980, PSP members were issued a new sidearm, the .357 magnum Ruger, a stainless steel, four inch barrel revolver (probably the GA-34) . It was the first major change in State Police issued weaponry in its 75 year history.

The Pennsylvania State Police Commemorative was a GA-34 (4", .357 Mag, Stainless Steel, adjustable sights). There were 92 known to have been produced in 1985 (from the Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume Two)

I'll see what else I can dig up and let you know.

87flht

Single-Sixer
I saw 3" 38spl Speed Six da/sa for sale with a 162- prefix. I though it might be a GS-83(DAO) NYCPD contract gun which was converted to da/sa. The seller said there wasn't a 5 pointed star stamped into the frame so it would've had to be a factory over run. It's absolutely a 3" barrel not 2 3/4" so my question is did Ruger make any other true 3" barreled Speed Sixes in 38spl other than for NYCPD?
Well did you get it ?
If not tell us where please

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Well did you get it ?
If not tell us where please
No I didn't buy it. I've already got a NYCPD GS-83 3" DAO in 38spl. It was on GB when I posted and was curious if it was a converted GS-83 or if there was another special contract 3" Speed Six in 38spl only made in 1987-88. Since it was lacking the NYCPD armororer's star on the frame, I think it was a factory over run GS-83converted to DA/SA.

Terry T

Buckeye
I believe there was a small run (75?) of DA/SA 3" Speed Sixs in .38 Special only for an unknown police or security agency/business. I had one in that ser. no. range - 162-39xxx that I traded to "LovmyDals" a few years ago. Chad's book references them.
I believe the Postal Service guns were .357 mag. but once the 3" barrel was in "the parts bin" Ruger salesmen could offer it to larger contracts. I have a 3" Service Six!
Terry T.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I believe there was a small run (75?) of DA/SA 3" Speed Sixs in .38 Special only for an unknown police or security agency/business. I had one in that ser. no. range - 162-39xxx that I traded to "LovmyDals" a few years ago. Chad's book references them.
I believe the Postal Service guns were .357 mag. but once the 3" barrel was in "the parts bin" Ruger salesmen could offer it to larger contracts. I have a 3" Service Six!
Terry T.
That 1 of 75 Speed Six would've been a good one to letter. Did you? I bid on a 3" Service Six not long ago but someone else wanted it more than I did.