Why can Ruger Inc. Ship handguns via UPS 2nd day air?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Tommy Kelly..Just wondering if you tried S&W's service dept there in Springfield. I've had superb luck and results with them...to whit:

I had a problem with a new S&W 637 several months ago that was back in my hands from S&W in 7 days at their expanse (FEDEX Label was mailed to me.) That was a new gun...

The service was so great that I called them regarding a M36 that was dragging its cylinder on the cylinder stop at the lower left of the frame cutout. Again, they mailed me overnight, a FEDEX shipping label and I had the gun in less than a week. No expense whatsoever and that partcular M36 was new in 1995.

S&W's customer service in my opinion is first rate....first rate! I expected a good response with the new 637 but they could have said the older M36 was just normal wear and tear, but they fixed it for free, including shipping. Incidentally, the 637 came back with a smoothed up gunsmith slick action that is hard to believe let alone improve upon.

JMHO, Rodfac

cas6969

Buckeye
As for the original question, I assume it's because Ruger has the "buying power" to negotiate.

Same way the CMP ships rifles for considerably less than it would cost you or me. (I believe that was the way Orest phrased it)

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Here are the facts. Years ago the IRS busted UPS for being self insured. When you paid for shipping insurance UPS put the insurance payment in a special interest bearing account. If the package was lost they paid off. The problem was the money left in the account was never recorded as a profit. The IRS hit them with massive fines. Policies were changed to recoup the cash cow. Policies have started to change again as they have lost gun customers to FedEx and USPS.

In my area, several dealers will ship handguns for you back to the factory or gunsmith at $5.00 above USPS cost. I recently sent a S&W model 60 for $11.99 including insurance and delivery confirmation.

DPris

Buckeye
Dropped a Beretta at UPS & an auto-pistol at Fedex on Friday, advised both counter people what was in the boxes.
Not even a raised eyebrow.
Again- these are hubs/terminals, not UPS Stores or Kinko's.
Denis

zipdog

Bearcat
For what it's worth, the last few times I shipped a handgun to a smith or FFL, I dropped it off at Kinko's for FedEx ground and did not mention the contents. The particular gunsmith in question does likewise. A local pawn shop who handles my transfers does the same as well.

DPris

Buckeye
When you ignore policies & don't advise UPS & Fedex of firearm content, you risk non-payment on any loss or damage claims down the road.
I choose not to take the risk.
Denis

s4s4u

Hunter
My gun store has a deal with UPS to ship 2nd day air for the same price as USPS priority flat rate. They do a lot of business, will ship for any individual for $20 and they do the packing. Why go any other way, more dealers could, and should, do the same.

RedHawk44 said:
I know that distributors get a special rate for shipping handguns because every time I get one, the shipping costs is about 1/2 of what it would cost me if I shipped it a like distance. 8)

There is a big discount for UPS Worldship customers. It can be as high as 50% for air shipments. We ship 1000's of guns through UPS and sometimes it is as cheap to ship 2nd Day as 3 day select or ground in some cases.