Why are Ruger revolvers so fragile? (Yes I said it)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
My colts and S&W's and even old style Pietta and Uberti revolvers have never given me this kind of trouble?

First the cylinder stop spring screw strips and won't go back in all the way. Then the bolt spring hole somehow manages to deform from a perfect round circle so the pin that goes onto the spring can't go back into the hole.

And to top it all off the mainspring is a pain in the butt. If you take it off without depressing it and sticking a punch or rod through that little hole you're screwed unless you've got an extra set of hands and a lot of patience.

I used to admire Ruger for durability. But I am have been cursing this Vaquero for the past two days.

I know Ruger has a lifetime warranty and will fix problems. But I shouldn't have to send it off over stuff like this.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Huh? A fragile Ruger revolver? I don't think you're going to get a lot of agreement with that. Perhaps some product familiarization is in order. Especially when the complaint is about the mainspring.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I can change a main spring in about a minute. It takes me longer to get it out of the gun. As far as fragile, I have had a particular SBH for about 40 years, the blueing has worn off the back strap of the grip frame it also has dings and scrapes but it a'int fragile. I have several others for less than that and I don't see anything fragile about them. Now if you are cutting pictures of them out of magazines and trying to shoot them I can see a problem. Granted they are not perfect but they are a damn good dependable tool.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
This is genuine Ruger New Vaquero. Up until Saturday I loved it. Now I'm cursing it every five minutes.

I get the mainspring part. Got it under control. It's the little things on this gun that are fragile. Screws, Screw holes, Spring holes, Spring plungers, Plunger Holes, etc.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Well, at the moment, my problems are 1) the cylinder stop screw won't go in all the way after I replaced the spring. It's been stripped. A gunsmith actually got it out on his own with some ingenuity over the counter at the local sporting goods store. He wasn't sure why it wasn't going in all the way or even if it was supposed to (I seem to remember it being in all the way when I took it out.). In any case, I put the screw back in with my own ingenuity (in spite of the striped screw) as far as I could get it (I'd say it went back in 2/3 of the way) and decided to put the gun back together and see how well it functioned.
2) Now the cylinder latch plunger (I don't know why the call it that in the manual, it appears to be for popping the bolt back up) is not working. At first I thought it wasn't going back in at all but on closer examination it appears neither it nor the hole are perfectly rounded and you have to turn it to line up the dimensions. It goes back in...but it appears to get stuck if you push down on it all the way or too hard (and this is exactly what happens when you put the two frames together and it gets stuck) I've put Break Free down the hole to see if that loosens things up. But has not been completely successful

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Got it back together....and, of course, the gun is not working. Now, for some reason, I can't even get the loading gate open unless I cock it back and forth and the bolt won't work

Taking it back apart it looks like a result of the latch spring plunger getting jammed in the hole.

13177339_10154383583370116_9095940261839128901_n.jpg

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Well I see what your problem is, get as far away as you can from South Carolina and get closer to El Paso. Swapping the main spring is not a problem, changing the trigger return spring is simple. All can be done without removing the grip frame. When the grip frame comes off it can be a little tricky to get all parts back in sequence assuming you did that. I have just one hand and at times I can recite words that I I don't even know the meaning of. I have difficulty at times. It is a matter of going slow and watching every step and developing a feel for what is right. I think a call to Ruger in the morning is you next and best bet. Good luck.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Well we all learn a few tricks the more we work on them and you will as well until you can do it in the dark.

Run the right size drill bit into the cyl latch spring/plunger hole by hand with a T handle to clean up and round it. Sometimes drilling chips can be found at the bottom of the holes from the factory. Chuck up the plunger in a drill and polish while spinning it.

You have a Vaquero which is a new model, so don't know what you mean by the latch screw. The frame pin? Polish like the latch plunger.

Any screw threads not working well I run a tap thru. Brownells has them and they're worth having around.
Grip frame screws are: 6x40.

Remounting mainspring, 3 techniques: : http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html

Hope this is helpful,

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you don't take your time and get everything in place before tightening the frame screws you can bend and break some of the little springs and plungers (latch spring and plunger) and get the gate detent spring and other little parts out of place. Don't ask how I know. :D

Tip of the day: Don't take them apart for cleaning. Take them apart only when you need to. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Most here will agree that a Ruger SA handgun is not a fragile item. But it is a man made mechanical object,,, that has many parts. Some of these parts are small, and as such, not as robust & overbuilt as other parts. To make them as such, the guns wouldn't work.
First,,,, did you read the manual about disassembly? The mainspring requires a pin to capture it for removal. That is it's design, and remember,,, it is designed differently than a S&W or a Colt. In those guns,,, they use a flat spring,,, that was often prone to breakage,,, so Bill designed his gun using coil springs. Making them stronger,,, not more fragile. The manual explains how to properly disassemble the gun, by putting a pin in the hammer strut, when the gun is cocked, to capture the mainspring.
Screws are ALL fragile in ALL guns, when a fine thread is used. Proper care should be used in removing or installing them,,, with of course,,, a proper fitting screwdriver.
Threads in screw holes can be damaged as well as the screws when improperly tightened, or misaligned. Again, in all guns,,, not just Ruger. (I currently have a S&W 646 I bought new, that has factory related action issues,,, that is going back to them, where the mainspring screw backs out on it's own under cycling the action or firing.)
Holes in the grip frame or the main frame for pins with springs. If you are forcing something, or using an improper method of removal or installation, you are the reason a hole gets buggered, not the design.

While it may seem I'm being critical of you,,, I'm TRYING to point out that it's not the gun, it's parts, or the design,,, it's the methods you are using. Not wanting to be critical,,, but hopefully pointing out that your methods may be wrong.
First,,, the owners manual,,, describes how to remove & disassemble the gun for basic maintenance. Next,,, if your desires are to do more work, on any firearm,, you should get the necessary books on disassembly, & re-assembly. Gun Digest publishes some EXCELLENT books on this subject, with pictures,,, full details,,, with warnings of potential issues to prevent damages. The purchase price of the book on Revolvers by them is more than worth to cost of the book,,, even if you only use it once. I have the set, and it has proven more times than I care to think about that it was money well spent.

Remember,,, Bill designed & built these guns to work, not for most folks to work on. Just like the folks who tinker on cars,, or full blown mechanics, you have to have knowledge before you attempt any job. An average guy can read the manual, and take the gun apart for general maintenance, & do just fine. But a mechanic will go to school, study, work on junk, & all before attempting any major work. Or, if self taught, will screw up stuff before he learns how to do things. Fords are different than Chevys, which are different than Dodges,,, and all 3 are way different than the Japanese, or Korean designs. Yes,, all are autos,,, but they are built differently.
Lastly, remember that the factory has all the proper tools, and trained folks who do this daily. A home mechanic will not have the same luxury. And how they do it may often be different than what we do at home. Just ask any shade tree mechanic how he does something,, and you will often see a different method.
Your Ruger is different than a Colt, a S&W, or any others.

Now, please understand I'm not trying to be critical,,, but rather,,, by your posts,,, it APPEARS you didn't understand how to properly disassemble & re-assemble a Ruger, and you didn't read the manual.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
I've got the mainspring thing figured out. I watched several videos, including Ruger's own video, on assembly reassembly. I notice they like to skip over things that are troublesome. I've got a gunsmith screwdriver kit with all the little heads. It's not improper tools

Simply saying "Make sure everything is lined up before you screw things back into place" is easy to say, but when you've got a dozen things, only 10 fingers and two eyes that can only see half of what's lined up because the other half is already covered once you attach upper frame to lower frame; it makes it kind of difficult.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I am glad that I cannot feel your pain, yet. I have just vowed to never disassemble my Vaquero. I will dust it, dunk it, blow it out, and shoot it but never, ever will I turn a screw counterclockwise.
Please come back when you get it sorted and tell us how you did it. Good Luck.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Doug.38PR said:
I just gave Ruger a call. They are going to send out new parts for the affected areas and see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't take care of it, they'll have me send the gun in.

The transfer bar broke in my Bisley, I dove in without a clue. First try at reassembly I mashed up the little spring and bent the gate spring. Ruger sent my double spares. Second try went well but being experienced at double action Rugers, I left the hammer spring out...Third time got it right.

Don't give in, once you've done it right enjoy an adult beverage!

Dan in MI

Staff member
I remember having trouble a long time ago with one of my Rugers. If memory serves, one of the frame screws is longer than the others and if it gets swapped in the wrong place will cause issues that sound similar.

This may be bad info from a bad memory but double check the proper screws are going in the proper holes.

DGW1949

Hunter
Seems that things are going from bad to worse.
Perhaps you should walk away from your project for awhile, come back to it later, and re-access the problems you are having one at a time.

Just a thought.

DGW

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!
The cylinder latch plunger is quite thin as the spring goes inside of it.
It can be damaged on assembly, as you have done yours. When correctly assembled,
And not damaged, it will last forever. Don't forget there is this new stuff called lube. It is used to make parts slide without galling and binding.