I ask this before i know but i think it got lost.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I replaced the hammer in my nmbh with a sbh hammer but I think I lost a click when cocking. I just checked my sbh and right at the end off cocking the hammer there are two clicks very close together.On the nmbh I get one click. Right before that click I can watch the cylinder jump just a fraction of an inch. That jump should be where the next to last click is. It shoots fine but I really don't like the cylinder jump or loss of the click.watch the video in my reply below. Only 21 seconds

Last edited:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Ok hope this works. Short video. Watch the cylinder the first jump is from trying to cock the hammer slowly.After that watch the cylinder rotate a fair amount then a short jump then the last click full cock which you won't be able to here due to my phone.

Attachments

• VID_20240203_191351.mp4
    9.5 MB

contender

Ruger Guru
Most folks never notice things,, but the gun is designed to where the weight of the cylinder rotation allows the final momentum to fully seat the cylinder in the bolt lock. It's normal. Very slow cocking is where most folks "see" the last minute movement of the cylinder as it's locked in place. And the New Models need to be fully cocked to allow the transfer bar to lock into place.
Just use a normal cocking speed, and all will be fine.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
sounds good. I forgot to mention right where that little jump of the cylinder is I feel just a little resistance kind of like a dragy feeling. I figure wit a few rounds maybe 300 to 400 it may smooth out. But it shoots fine so all is well.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm sure you are good to go.

One thing I've noticed for decades is the noticeable differences in the smooth feel of the Old Models,, (before 1973,) vs the New Models and the safety transfer bar action.
An out of the box, new OM,, will always feel smoother, have that very nice 4-click action, and just gets better with use. The NM action, out of the box, always seems to be less smooth & clean feeling. Even those w/o ANY burrs or other stuff. It comes from more internal parts doing more stuff.
That said,, a NM can be smoothed up, made slicker & smoother, and allow a sweet shooting experience. Heck,, just taking a NM apart,, going over each part,, making sure the parts all have smooth & clean edges or surfaces,, (WITHOUT changing the angle of the hammer/sear/trigger engagements,) makes a big difference. Add a good quality lube,, and work the action a lot. It will be much better.
Swapping out a part,, like the hammer may be putting in a part that needs a little careful care in it's surfaces to give good results.

Latest posts