Who remembers Bridey Murphy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
In the mid 'Fifties, there was a book, followed by a movie, entitled "The Search For Bridey Murphy." The story was that a young woman was uddergoing treatments using hyptnosis. During treatment, the hypnotist began using mind regression. Not only did they go back to her childhood, but supposedly went back into another life. This led to much speculation about reincarnation and led to many articles, movies and other hoopla. Then about as quick as it began, it all died down. I believe at the time Life magazine even turned up another, or maybe more, who claimed the same experience.

Bob Wright

Most eastern religions delve on reincarnation and back in the early 20th century much of that and spiritualism migrated to the U.S. There are plenty of people who believe in it.
Part of me believes in another life I was accidentally killed by my friend who was the sheriff in the town..... I may have visited his grave a few years back.

Like "The Amityville Horror", "The Search for Bridey Murphy" seemed like it was almost "proof" of the supernatural. Numerous articles came out debunking the story and it was hard to know what was true and what was fake. If in fact this woman started speaking in an old Irish dialect that she could not possibly have known, and if she really recounted factual data that again, she could not possibly have known, then her experience would be hard to refute. Then again, maybe the entire story was fictional or enough was fictional as to cast easy doubt on the "reincarnation" aspect.

I do remember the book and the hysteria over it, and the reality that it was like a fad that disappeared quickly rather than leading to serious scientific research into the matter, leads me to believe it was all a fake.

harley08

Blackhawk
How about de ja vous?
I was walking around Yale Universality,
all of a sudden, I could tell you what was abound the next corner.
I still remember the small metal stars near a couple of windows.
I believe they were for students who went to war and never returned.

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
Actually there are a lot of people that believe in the concept of past lives. In spiritual world many believe that souls are returned many times.
Formal religions do not believe in it but many cultures do.

g5m

Blackhawk
I remember it. And there was also about that time a flurry of articles and books about multiple personalties.

Reincarnation is a concept that appeals to all of us, because deep down we fear that the reality of our world is that death is the total end of our individual existence. The thought that we would return, and might retain some awareness of our present self in that future life, is a form of immortality. Religion tries to reassure us that there is life after death in some form of heaven. The complexities of that heaven and illogic of the concept is something most people do not dwell on as well as the total absence of any evidence that it even exists other than the pure faith in the statements of those we might consider godlike. So any hint that the supernatural, positive or negative actually is real can give us hope that just maybe when we die we do not evaporate into nothingness. Clever charlatans who create stories like Bridey Murphy and the like are able to make more than a few bucks off our deepest longngs for an existence beyond the few scant years we spend on this earth.

Mike J

Hunter
As a Christian there are things I am not supposed to do. Fortune tellers, astrology, hypnosis & the occult are some of the things on the list. I believe this is because these things can be used against us by the enemy. If someone that has been hypnotized seems to remember things about long before they were born it may be that a spirit that has been around a very long time is giving them the information.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
How about de ja vous?
I was walking around Yale Universality,
all of a sudden, I could tell you what was abound the next corner.
I still remember the small metal stars near a couple of windows.
I believe they were for students who went to war and never returned.
Close.
Deja vu.
Already seen.
Frenchy talk…😏

KIR

Sparks, NV
No reincarnation...dust to dust, ashes to ashes and probably even less than that in the end.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
No reincarnation...dust to dust, ashes to ashes and probably even less than that in the end.
Not wanting to get into any long brouhaha with you, but that is entirely contrary to Christian teaching. Refusal to believe does not make it false teaching.

Bob Wright