Who can give my Redhawk a good trigger job?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71firebird400

Bearcat
Hi all,

I've got two Redhawks; a 5.5" stainless from 1982 and a 5.5" blued from 2005. The older gun has a much smoother double action while the newer gun has a distinct hitch in the double action as well as a heavier action altogether. Upon comparison it is evident that the cylinder of the stainless gun rotates much smoother/more freely than the blued gun. Additionally, with the cylinders open the guns have similar double actions, leading me to believe that the blued gun is heavier because of the additional force required to rotate the cylinder. However, the "hitch" I feel in the blued gun I believe is from a poorly fit ratchet/hand relationship. You can feel the gun build tension as those two pieces begin to interface and it results in a double action that has a very discernible "tight spot".

I really love these guns, they are my most shot 44 magnums. I would love to send the blued revolver to a reputable gunsmith to be gone over and hopefully restore it to the condition the stainless gun is in. Does anyone have any solid recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

GaryVA

Bearcat
I also have two Redhawks, one is older with a worked over trigger having a ton of trigger time. My opinion is the trigger on the older Redhawk is perfect. Also have a newer Redhawk that is box stock. This trigger would stack, building up to a slight feel of binding which I did not like. A longtime close friend is a guild pistolsmith, so my intent was to have him work over the new gun. I decided to vet the Redhawk a bit before I handed it over. After a couple hundred rounds and a bunch of dry firing, everything smoothed out. It is not perfect like the older/worked over Redhawk, but it is now smooth with no hint of stacking. Several who handled the revolver when it was new and who later handled the gun after break-in have thought I had the trigger work completed.

I cannot refer you to my friend because he is in high demand having a long waiting list. But my friend sends me to Hamilton Bowen for various things, so I would give a recommendation for Bowen.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
MagnaPort
Gary Reeder at Reeder Custom Guns
Hamilton Bowen

If you have ever read "Big Bore Revolvers" by Max Presac there are several highly regarded gunsmiths mentioned in the book. Great book by the way.
Just be sure you use a reputable gunsmith, many people don't always get what they think they are getting.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Percession did my 4" Redhawk. At a very reasonable price too. He's in Texas , I'm in Pa ...the shipping drove my cost up...but I think it was worth it.

regards , brushunter