Which of these grips would look the best on my GP160?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
jpb in me":302aw8am said:
For looks I vote #4.
Jimbo how did you reshape your rubber grips?

Mostly I just used coarse sand paper sometimes wrapped around a wood dowel. The backstrap is a little straighter and the curve is a little deeper, the speed loader cut-out and finger grooves are smoothed-out. Finer sand paper will dress the rubber. It is very easy to work on. :D

The front sight is a HiViz, 6 light sticks, from the Ruger store:
http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/24/

000_0002.jpg

Jimbo

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
jpb in me":3hiq7g2k said:
jimbo, are they the same as the redhawk sights on that link you posted?

I believe the Redhawk sights are a little taller than the GP-100 sights.
The 6 light sticks one is cheaper.

...Jimbo

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
WAYNO":1oftv6z8 said:
GEDC0185.jpg

WAYNO.

1)Great looking GP160! The wood inserts have nice wood color and graining.

2)Beautiful photograpy! Either, your digital camera is better than mine-and/or your photo taking skills are far superior to mine!

3)How was the trigger pull on your pictured GP160? Based upon what I can tell from your picture, this gun's serial number prefix of 175(If I'm reading this correctly?)places it in the same 2008 year, Limited Edition Run, as my GP160?

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Well, so far, the votes are as follows(counting all votes):

#3 Ruger rubber/wood is the number 1 choice, with 12 votes.
#4 Ruger wood duplicate of the above #3, is the number 2 choice, with
10 votes.
#1 and #2 Hogue's are a tie with only 3 votes each.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Looks, feel, shooting comfort, concealability (if a factor) are ALWAYS subjective. Try all the ones you can!
My personal favorite in all catagories is #3. I use the adj sight grips, which are slightly larger than the grips originally used on the fixed site GP's, on my 3 incher.

rugerrat":1ieqzuv6 said:

2)Beautiful photograpy! Either, your digital camera is better than mine-and/or your photo taking skills are far superior to mine!

3)How was the trigger pull on your pictured GP160? Based upon what I can tell from your picture, this gun's serial number prefix of 175(If I'm reading this correctly?)places it in the same 2008 year, Limited Edition Run, as my GP160?

I like these grips, also. I recently traded into this revolver, and I've never shot it. I have tried the trigger, just a little, and it is extremely nice. And, I've already traded this gun off. The other thing, concerning the grips...I bought it with the grips shown. Then, after the fact, I bought the factory Hogue grips from the same person I got the gun from. Now that the gun is sold, I've still got the Hogue grips.:roll: Yes, this gun is one of the 2008 special-issues.

As far as my camera skills? I try, but I don't hold a candle to many of the fine photos on this board. I did the cell-phone-cam thing for way too long, with very poor results. So, I went to Sears, and professed that I needed a camera, but I also knew nothing about them. So, the sales guy said he had a deal for me...A close-out, regularly $200 camera for $39. I know it's not a really great camera, but it's something for me to learn with. The two things I've learned, is, I cannot hold a camera still, and I cannot ever get the correct lighting for gun photography. :wink:

Thanks for elevating my ego!

WAYNO.

airwin

Bearcat
Hi Rugerrat give the smaller grip of the fixed sight GP 100 a try. I use them on my KGP161 and KGP 141. My hands are not so big (9 1/2) and these grips fits my hand the best. BTW with this KGP161, I have won several local championships in past few years. GP100s are great guns!

kgp141.jpg

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
airwin":sgarf4un said:
Hi Rugerrat give the smaller grip of the fixed sight GP 100 a try. I use them on my KGP161 and KGP 141. My hands are not so big (9 1/2) and these grips fits my hand the best. BTW with this KGP161, I have won several local championships in past few years. GP100s are great guns!

kgp141.jpg

1)Hi airwin: Although I haven't tried the smaller fixed sight grips at the range yet, I did get these grips on my blue, fixed sight 4" GP340. I like the feel of these grips too! I'll have to pick up another set of these grips for my GP160.

2)You have two great looking GP100's! I only have a 4" full lug stainless GP100 like yours-yet, unfired though. I'm going to shoot my new GP160 first!

3)Thanks for posting the picture above-as, I now know how good the smaller, fixed sight grips look on the full lig barrels!

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
WAYNO":1i6p6eps said:
rugerrat":1i6p6eps said:

I like these grips, also. I recently traded into this revolver, and I've never shot it. I have tried the trigger, just a little, and it is extremely nice. And, I've already traded this gun off. The other thing, concerning the grips...I bought it with the grips shown. Then, after the fact, I bought the factory Hogue grips from the same person I got the gun from. Now that the gun is sold, I've still got the Hogue grips.:roll: Yes, this gun is one of the 2008 special-issues.

As far as my camera skills? I try, but I don't hold a candle to many of the fine photos on this board. I did the cell-phone-cam thing for way too long, with very poor results. So, I went to Sears, and professed that I needed a camera, but I also knew nothing about them. So, the sales guy said he had a deal for me...A close-out, regularly $200 camera for $39. I know it's not a really great camera, but it's something for me to learn with. The two things I've learned, is, I cannot hold a camera still, and I cannot ever get the correct lighting for gun photography. :wink:

Thanks for elevating my ego!

WAYNO.

I like the feel of the Ruger rubber/wood grips also. Although I've never shot with them on a GP100 yet. Well, I think that the quality level of your pictures above would suit me just fine. You had captured the nice bluing on your GP160 and, the grip and background colors looked perfect. I have trouble with my digital camera focusing in low lighting conditions and in good lighting too-due to glare caused by the ultra sensitive lens on my camera!

Wow! You got a great buy on that camera you got from Sears! I'm curious as to what Brand and model it happens to be? The next digital camera I buy will be a less expensive model-since, I've not had good luck with the fairly expensive camera, I currently own!

I have the same problem as you, with my hands shaking too much-as well as coming up with the right lighting to enable taking good photo's! Don't underestimate your photo skills-because you are doing a great job in taking some nice photo's! You deserved to have your Ego pumped up! I also liked your background in the above photo's of your GP160!

Regarding the trigger pull: On at least three 2008 Ltd. Ed. GP160's, I've found their trigger pulls to be excellent! And, aside from just favoring the 6" half lug barrel, this superior trigger pull is what had prompted me to purchase my GP160!

My little camera is a GE, A1230, with 121.1 Megapixels. It does just about everything, from close-ups, to panorams, movies, and sound. Someday I'll read the instructions, and maybe learn how to really use it. :roll:

WAYNO.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
T.A. WORKMAN":2jvgh7m5 said:
Rat,
I like #4 also. Heres a pair of Rosewood.
I have not shot the gun yet with them on it
so I don't know if I'll like them.
Terry

004-9.jpg

Terry:

Those Rosewood grips look nice! Who makes them? I sure like your stainless KGP160!

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
WAYNO":178tgtms said:
My little camera is a GE, A1230, with 121.1 Megapixels. It does just about everything, from close-ups, to panorams, movies, and sound. Someday I'll read the instructions, and maybe learn how to really use it. :roll:

WAYNO.

Thanks for the information! That GE camera seems like the type of camera I'd need to purchase! It would be wonderful to be able to take good pictures without having to constantly search through the instructions to enable doing so! The simpler, the better!