Which length Single six would you guys get?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
I've been shooting for 50 years now. Got my first gun when I was 8.
Can't begin to list all the different calibers, actions and lengths that I have
bee fortunate enough to own at one time or another.

But I'll say this.......the Ruger Single Six is my all-time favorite handgun bar none. All the lengths are comfortable and all have thier particular purpose. It's a matter of personal choice.

If I had to chose one I don't think I could do it. I currently own 8 Ruger 22 SA's and wish I could afford "80" more. These are truly wonderful guns.

So just pick one that feels good to you and have a ball. They are a fantastic revolver that you can depend on.

My modest opinion,
Shorty

FXWG

Bearcat
I'm going to have to throw my vote in for the 4 5/8 in barrel.
Just picked this one up today.
A perfect yin-yang for my blued 9 1/2 in Single Six.
100_0182a.jpg

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Well FXWG I just did the same thing. I got a 4 5/8ths stainless over the weekend just like yours in the picture. I am thrilled. My only issue is with the grips. I am not impressed with them at all. I fitted a pair of Ajax thin polymer Ivories on it and now its a dream.

Just can't get enough of those Single Sixes. Leejack knows, he's hooked too!!

Shorty

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
My .22 single sixes are both 6.5". The blue one I put a steel grip frame on. My .32 is 9.5" and again I put a steel grip frame on it, most accurate Ruger I have . Need a .22 with 9.5" barrel if I can ever find one, and have any money.

Dana

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I have a 5.5" NM SS6 and an OM SS6with a 6.5" barrel. I had a .22 LR cylinder modified ala Jim Taylor for the OM with the "carrying hole" reamed for .22 WMR. It's my favorite "go everywhere" sixgun and I like it's 6.5" barrel. Packs just fine IMO. I've had the 5.5" NM for 25 yrs and put many thousands of rds through it and have no complaints whatsoever although I'm thinking of having a 9.5" barrel put on it and using it for Field Pistol silhouette shooting. I'm partial to long barrels, likely because I was able to do the best handgun shooting I've ever achieved with an old 10" .44 Flattop I owned. Loved that long sight radius, weight, and top velocity. I know most folks go for the shorter lengths for handling reasons but for me 6.5" is minimum and longer is better. Probably the next S6 I would get is a Hunter 7.5"...Dennis :wink:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
IMAGE012.jpg
22WM001.jpg
This is my 6.5 inch "Jim Taylor Special" with one charge hole reamed to .22 WMR and a test of the results. I swapped the "red" gripframe for the one from a '60 Flattop with some nicer wood since this photo. (Feels better too)....Dennis

FXWG

Bearcat
Now don't get me wrong, I really like the 9.5" as well. Well almost.
100_0237a.jpg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have a 4 5/8" blued one that I put a SS Ruger Birdshead gripframe and ebony grips on and really like it as a little woods carry revolver. Here it is with a 45 Colt big brother.

Birdshead-Rugerpair.jpg

And I certainly like my 6.5" Bisley if accuracy is more important.

But I find the 5.5" Stainless models just balance the best for me for offhand shooting. I have a pair of them that I practice Cowboy Action Gunfighter with since it's a lot cheaper that way than with centerfire. I find they work better than any other configuration for that purpose.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You might say I like the 4 5/8 inchers: all nine of my single sixes are.
I have two lightweights,
a 1960 vintage full weight,
two Stainless (one star model and one Liberty model),
a '74 new model Super in blue.
a new model single six blue Vaquero with the short 32 grip frame,
and two blue 32s (one with target sights and one Vaquero).

I shoot the '74 .22 and the .32 targets the most. The two blue .22 and .32 Vaqueros are my next favorites. But they all shoot very well for me.

The longer barrel lengths all wiggle too much shooting off hand, so I don't have any.