Which length Single six would you guys get?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dakota1911

Buckeye
I bought one of the longer ones back in 1977 and still have it, love it and shoot it. It is quite good with most .22s and 22 mags. Not win bullseye good, but kill a gopher good. More recently I bought one of the .22 only Bisley guns. It was so cute and the reason you don't go by gunstores after payday "just looking".

rgr_sngl6sR.jpg

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
I like the looks of the 6 1/2" barrels on the Single Six.

Had a 5 1/2" for a number of years, but never really took it out after I got the 9 1/2" barrel Single Six.
The 9 1/2" almost always wears the magnum cylinder.
'Cept at the turkey shoots.
They let me use the magnum on the 22 LR chickens . . . once.
Knocked the chicken for a loop and dinged it a little bit.

I carry it in a Hunter holster that's much like a Bianchi Lawman and it's not a problem.

If a rifle is going along for the hike the Single Six is carried in the same holster on the left side (I'm right-handed) to stay out of the way of the slung rifle.

Fairly easy to get to in the non-crossdraw holster when worn on the off-side.

My 7 1/2" SB 44 is carried in a Bianchi Lawman holster and it's an easy carry as well.

It's almost as long overall as the 9 1/2" Single Six.
ShootingatRedLakeTank4422mag.jpg

The 44 wears stock Ruger grips with a few coats of Tru-Oil.
The faux mother of pearl grips seemed a bit much to me.

The Single Six has Herret grips and a trigger shoe.
Only trigger shoe on anything of mine, but I really like it on this revolver.

Places we go, it works well to carry alternate calibers.
Centerfire rifle, 22 mag revolver.
22 mag or LR rifle, 44 mag revolver.

And if we're doing a whole lot of getting in and out of the Jeep, I like to take my P89 in a Bianchi black cordura holster.

In any event, whatever is in a holster is retained by a strap.
An important feature I think and I do miss the strap on the long barreled Single Six.
The revolver came with the holster and the strap was already gone, but it does well in staying seated.

Lots of choices out there and it seems like Ruger can fill any of them....

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
..... the Single Six is carried in the same holster on the left side (I'm right-handed) to stay out of the way....

I use that same strategy when carrying a rifle or shotgun, good to keep from banging up your stock. Since I shoot cowboy action as a Gunfighter, my weak hand practice is solid but it's easy to switch for a more accurate shot.

flatgate

Hawkeye
tuttletom":1fhx3386 said:
I don't know if you can buy Bisley frames for the 22's.

Yup, centerfire grip frames from the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks fit the lowly Single-Sixes quite well!

Here's two .32 cal. Single-Sixes, one with the large, Super Blackhawk styled grip frame and the other with a stainless XR3-RED from a .45 cal. Blackhawk and both have Bisley Single-Six hammers.
357573210.jpg

flatgate

omalon

Bearcat
I was pleasantly surprised on how well my new Single Six with a 6.5 inch barrel shoots without any sight adjustments todate.
IMG_2488%20(Medium).JPG

flatgate

Hawkeye
BisleyGripped":1tiquzxi said:
FLATGATE, you're killing me! Can't you ever post pics of an UGLY gun, just to make it easier on the rest of us?

Well, since we're discussing Stainless .22's...

132835046.jpg

This one is a KS-9, which came with only the .22 LR cylinder. I've one more to "show off" and it's a "three screw" with the 9-1/2" barrel.

132835047.jpg

Lousy image, but it's fitted with a stainless steel grip frame and some "aftermarket" grips. It, too, is a tack driver. The previous owner won many silhouette matches with it in 100% original configuration.
:D

flatgate

BisleyGripped

Bearcat
Flatgate, is that 3 screw a high polish from the factory, or buffed out by hand? How would someone polish out a stainless... or blued for that matter? And remember, I asked you for an 'ugly' gun. Don't you have any rusty Heritage Arms sitting around? (Nice pics, as usual.)
Ole Bis

paleocaver

Bearcat
I dredged this topic up while asking the same question. 4 5/8 or 6 1/2? Since I'm essentially replacing a 4" S&W Mod 18 (retiring the S&W after 30 years) I'm going for the shorter barrel. Like the way it rides on the hip in the boat and in the truck. I handled both today and really liked the shorter one's balance.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
My rimfire single sixes havent come out of the safe since I got my .32 single six.
For rimfire pistols now, I go with the Tactical Solutions 22/45 or my trusty H&R 999 sportsman.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
For range guns, and guns that are not going to be carried a lot, the longer barrels are nice.

For a gun that's going to be packed on trails and such, the 4 5/8th barrels are sure nice. A 5 1/2" barrel wouldn't be bad, but I sure prefer the shorter.

I've never had a problem with accuracy from the short barrels, but it's something to think about if you can't shoot them well. The guns are just as accurate, but you have to be more precise in alignment of the sights..

Daryl

G2

Hunter
Here are 3 of my fav's, 4.6, 9.5, 6.5, and it is amazing to me how different each handle and shoot.
Just when I think this "one" is my very favorite one of the others gets my attention. If I had to pick, , ,well today it would probably be the 6.5 fluted Bisley, in all factory configuration.
3ruger32s.jpg

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
I seem to take my first one, a 6.5" Stainless out more than any of the others. I don't have a hunter yet, but look forward to getting more single sixes in the future.

historybuff

Bearcat
You can't go wrong with a 4 /5/8.

A blued 4 5/8 Single Six brought me back into the shooting sports.

I'm thinking about a holster so I can wear it when hiking; now its a range gun.

Latest posts