Which LCR caliber did you choose and WHY?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Which LCR Caliber do you prefer?

• LCRx 38+ with Hammer

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • 9mm

Votes: 5 5.6%

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • 22 Magnum

Votes: 7 7.8%

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • SOMETHING ELSE

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 38 Special

Votes: 25 27.8%

• Total voters
22 mag. I always carry a 2" 5 shot Charter arms 38 on my strong side (right). I bought a left hand sneaky pete for the LCR. When I'm driving, it is difficult to get to my 38 with the seatbelt connected. Too much arthritis to shoot anything more powerful with my left hand.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I started with the original 38 but recently added the LCRx 2" model.

LCR for the pocket, LCRx OWB.

I originally bought the 38 LCR, but I'm not a 357/38 fan. When the 327 became available, I traded the 38 for it, because I already had other 327's and wanted the extra shot, and the 327 and 357 are built on the heavier frame to answer your question above. And I reload, so no problem with finding ammo, and I got rid of reloading for the 38, have too many calibers already. I don't notice much difference in handling and recoil.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i picked the hammerless (unexposed, that is) .38. it's the lightest of the bunch, and .38+p should be plenty. i carry a warm load. not +p, but i would not want to get hit by it...

If carrying in a holster the hammer doesn't get in the way. I carry both OWB and in a pocket holster so I carry the standard LCR. The hammer does hang up with pocket carry. My short barrel LCRx is tucked away in my house for instant use. I carry my 3: LCRx mostly when in my timber in a Simply Rugged holster.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I have and prefer the LCR327 over the 9mm. Lots of choices for ammo in the 327 and it has six shots. The 9mm is good as a companion to 9mm semi autos but I haven't settled on a load that doesn't jump the case. Disappointing.

rjn

Bearcat
9mm. Its the perfect caliber for the LCR as I use it. First off I have fast loading & unloading with moonclips. I don't leave my LCR loaded all the time so it is a simple process to load/unload without any question if I missed a round or not.

As far as ballistics, it has the perfect tradeoff. It has more energy than the 38 and less recoil than the 357. I bet most people with 357 LCR use 38's or do not shoot it that often. I believe in practicing with what you carry and often. The 9mm is a short cartridge and actually uses a portion of the cylinder as freebore barrel so velocity is higher than I would expect.

The 9mm LCR has stainless frame and the cylinder is made out of Carpenter 465 which has some impressive qualities so plenty strong and certainly weatherproof. I can carry it in my pocket all day in pouring rain while hunting and not worry about it.

Plinking ammo is cheap so I shoot it more often. For serious carry I use Hornady Critical defense in 115gr which has crimp groove so no worries about jumping the crimp. I gave it a very thorough test so I am quite positive my ammo is reliable..

I do not know about the accuracy of the other calibers but I can tell you the 9mm LCR is down right impressive. I never would have believed I could hit a gong at 40 yard consistently with a double action fixed in-the-frame-sight but yet it is so.

Ruger knew what they were doing when they came out with the 9mm. I like this one a lot.

libbylibbylibby

Bearcat
I do use the Lee taper crimp die on all the 9mm ammo I feed my LCR. After several rounds your hands do start to feel like they are vibrating, so not a pinker toy, but accurate and controllable.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
The original .38 and .357 was all that was offered when I bought mine and I chose the .38 because of the weight difference. I haven't been disappointed. I feel I am well armed with critical defense ammo and I practice about once a month just to keep the gun and myself limbered up. I think it's about the best carry gun ever.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
USMCXD said:
Which LCR caliber did you decide to purchase and why?

Any regrets?

Any favorable aspects as to why you went with your caliber?

Please share.

I picked the LCRx 3" .38 Spl +P for a house gun. Close in work does not require
a lot of big gun, and probably won't perforate the neighbours when I
"plug the Thug"! It is an accurate weapon, and single action is my thing.
Loaded with Ruger ARC Polycoat ammo. Been around guns long enough not
to worry about my target.
Blackie

Latest posts