Which is best for CCW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GhosT

Blackhawk
Zero experience with the LCR.

As own both an SP101 and a GP100....
Can safely say ....WRITE OFF the GP100 versions!!!
The GP100 (LOVE MINE)...is a TRUCK when trying to conceal.
I am 6'2"...220 pounds....and I can conceal my 6" version...easily, but not comfortably!

My SP101 on the other hand easily concealed!
Although mine is ported...
I would trust it if not!....
DECADE OLD HISTORY of why a fan of the SP101.

The LCR, IMHO...was built for and should use .38 special rounds!
NOT A SHOT AT THAT ROUND!

If I owned an LCR I would research the hell outta the most effective round for that gun.

Guess just saying...
Write off the GP100 for concealed carry..
Both the LCR and the SP101, better choices!

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I haven't shot an LCR but I hear that AS LIGHTWEIGHT SNUBBIES GO it's not too bad to shoot. I've shot an airweight S&W and it's like having a bomb go off in your hand. If you figure it's for an emergency and then you won't care, then maybe that's what you want. But I like full power ammo and I like to actually shoot my guns a lot, so:

I've carried a 2 1/4" SP101 every day for a couple years and recommend it highly. Some guys who are tougher than me say you can shoot hot magnum ammo with the stock grips. I tried it and went right out and bought the rubber Hogue Monogrip. You really can shoot anything comfortably with the Hogue, and it conceals OK if you have a good holster and don't dress too tailored.

The GP100 is indeed kinda heavy & bulky for carry as GhosT says, BUT it CAN be done if you have a good stiff belt and a holster that positions the gun right FOR YOU. I've finally achieved this with a homemade IWB holster and I really like having the 6th round and the additional (chronograph tested) 100 ft/sec from the 3" barrel. Plus the additional half pound of steel for soaking up recoil or knocking bad guys on the head.

SP101 & GP100 for comparison and 'cause I just like this picture:

SP101, Side Guard IWB holster, Hogue grip:

GP100, homemade holster, previously unconcealable Hogue grip:

SP101 & Hogue grip, max load .357 not hurting my hand (and 'cause I just like this picture):

patcannon

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Is that a UFO materializing in front of you? :shock:
:) That ring of fire happens faster than the eye (my eye anyway) can see; I just saw some orange flash, and was surprised by the pictures. From what I've read, the combustion gases sometimes are a fuel rich mixture as they leave the muzzle so they ignite after they've expanded into the air a ways and get some oxygen, thus forming a ring or tube of flame.

maxpress

Buckeye
Need more info to answer that.
If your carrying it in the office in a suit pocket..probably not the gp100.
Walking around a backwoods town...probably not the lcr.
Normal carry for me in jeans and a tshirt is a 2.5 speed six which is closer in size to the SP than the GP and its really no problem.

Actually size wise there not much difference in size between the SP and the LCR so why not go with the heavy duty gun.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
JimMarch1 - I always enjoy your posts and know from long standing that you have a low opinon of Federal ammunition, but would argue that the man said he chronograph-ed 158 Grain Hydroshoks at I believe 1130 and 1165 fps from 2.25 and 3.08 inch SPs. I assert that performance is in line with 158 grain .357s from most major manufacturers out of those guns and better than some. Comparing Federal's performance to what is essentially designer ammunition whose market niche tends toward the edge of the envelope is not really a fair comparison. Just my opinion, of course, as your is yours.