When you think you're pretty good

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Give this some thought. My younger Son visited weekend before last and showed me his 'new to him' Ruger SR22. I ran a magazine through it and got the sights fairly centered and then handed it back to him. Just a reminder: he has a serious visual impairment-as in can barely see his hand in front of his face. At 7 yards from the 8" steel plate, I took my spot slightly behind his shoulder and gave him directions to get on target. First 2 shots were close as I fine tuned his aim and then he hit 5 of the next 7 by simply holding where I told him. Next magazine he hit 5 of 9 with the misses really close. Then he pulled out his little Glock 9mm and we had similar results until he tried some 'double taps' and that wasn't quite on par.
This may be hard for some to believe but I started his training over 20 years ago with a soft air BB pistol and a target that beeped it's location and dinged when hit. He learned to orient and maintain his hold from shot to shot. Oh yeah, that part about me aiming the pistol by 'remote control' is also a learned skill.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, I've met him, and I think I recall you mentioning his eye issue. I never saw it affect him.

I've had many people in the BSA, or other places who had some kind of "issue" that "normal" people may not have. Yet,, those who wanted to work on ways to overcome it,, usually did so with excellent results.

pyth0n

Buckeye
OK, we're having trouble finding a laser that's visible in normal outdoor light. Open to suggestions. Green??
Yes, green is much better in day light. I have green laser/light combo I use on a couple of my handguns for home defense. I don't edc them because they're bulky & the added weight. But of course, there are smaller green than what I have.

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
OK, we're having trouble finding a laser that's visible in normal outdoor light. Open to suggestions. Green??

I have a Holosun SCS green on a Glock34 MOS that I bought this year. I like it a lot. It's light weight & sits low enough to pick up the factory sights thru the glass. Auto adjust brightness, selectable reticles, solar charged battery backup, etc.

glockholosun.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. He can't see the dot optics. Needs to have a laser projected dot on target. I'm currently trying to come up with a CT CMR201(?) green.
Had a bad experience with laserlyte so I'm starting over with better reputation brand name.

That's how I taught Son. He can riddle those billboard sized profile targets like the battle rattle dudes brag about hitting from 7 yards w/o any other input than where the previous hit landed.
I think I've located a Crimson Trace green for our next attempt. Hoping that works better.

I got an unexpected boost Saturday. I bought a Crimson Trace rail mount laser for Son's use from an ebay seller . When I commented to the seller about the proposed use, he offered another one free. There are still folks like that in the world.:)

I managed to find a Crimson Trace CMR206. Son can pick up the green laser in full daylight out to the range of his fuzzy vision (30'). We didn't have time to test fire so I adjusted the laser to match the signts which I had zeroed a couple weeks previous.