When Brass needs trimmed?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Howdy! I have been a single stage handloader, forever. I just got a dillon SDB. I used new 41 mag brass and loaded up a storm. I found my other fired brass. Here's my situation. I always decap/size, trim, prime and load. On my new Dillon, I'll have to decap/size, trim, then remove station #1 that decaps/sizes, and load this method? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I think this method, I'll have to have decap/size dies in all my calibers. What do you think? I'd like to know. Thanks The Kid

Capn27

Single-Sixer
I find that straight-walled pistol brass seldom needs trimming. When it does, use that method. I'm going through a batch of surplus .223 brass right now, most of which needs primer pocket reaming.

I removed the size/decap die from my Dillon and adjusted it in a single-stage RCBS press. When I'm finished with that task I'll work over the primer pockets, then measure the cases and trim any that are too long Lastly, I'll run them through the tumbler to remove the lube. Update: Since I originally posted this I've finished the primer step on 300 cases and I'm ready to measure them and trim as needed. I had to quit, 'cuz my right shoulder is screaming at me, "You fool! I'll make you pay for this tonight!". I also sized and lubed a few hundred .45 ACP RNL boolits, just to vary the muscle groups.

After trimming, the cases will be back to the Dillon - sans sizer/decap die. I'll start off by priming the case and rotate from there. Next time I reload these cases, all the operations will be done in the Dillon.

volshooter

Buckeye
Never messed with a Dillon press. As said straight wall cases, (* note here, cases for revolvers do not need it) but I have found semi auto cases, both handgun and rifle as well as lever actions should be trimmed.

Capn27

Single-Sixer
volshooter said:
Never messed with a Dillon press. As said straight wall cases, (* note here, cases for revolvers do not need it) but I have found semi auto cases, both handgun and rifle as well as lever actions should be trimmed.

I need to add a caveat to my original statement.

Rimless calibers used in revolvers - those which headspace on the case mouth - definitely need trimming. I found this with three different .30 carbine Blackhawks. If the cases were a bit too long, they would not eject and sometimes would tie up the cylinder if they backed out a bit after being fired.

I always thought it was a tight chamber in the revolver and/or I wasn't able to full-length resize the case down near the case head. Uh-uh! It was the case length. Once I trimmed them to specified length, they worked fine.

Enigma

Hunter
Many folks that load on Dillons size their brass separately on a single stage press, do whatever they feel the need to do, and then finish loading it on the Dillon. This obviously provides them with an opportunity to clean primer pockets, uniform primer pockets, swage or ream primer pockets, prime, and trim brass if required. It also minimizes shell plate flex on the Dillon press, which can cause some inconsistency in the OAL of finished ammo and other things. This is mostly a concern when loading rifle ammo, which your SDB will not do.

Others simply load the cartridge in one pass on the Dillon. Some use the Dillon Rapid Trim setup to size and trim in one step.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I have been loading on a progressive press (Hornady, actually two of them) for quite a few years now.

You are correct, there is no provision for trimming (or primer pocket cleaning) on a progressive press. I can't speak for a high pressure round like 41 Mag, but with most pistol cartridges (45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Auto Rim, 44-40, 44 Russian, 38-40, and 38 Special) I found out long ago that the brass does not stretch enough to need trimming. I just pop the brass on at station one, and crank through everything until finished rounds fall off after station five. Never have worried about either cleaning primer pockets nor trimming when I load on a progressive press.

I can't remember when I trimmed any handgun brass.
I also use a SDB and just finished "presizing" a bucketful of 40 S&W brass on a single stage press to ease the load on the Dillon and to make sure the cases were fully sized. I have a broken SDB handle on a shelf that apparently resulted from the previous owner playing gorilla with the outfit.
Before I got the Dillon, I sized on the single stage, hand primed, and then loaded on a LEE 1000 due to the inconsistent priming system on the LEE. At least the Dillon has a decent auto prime setup.