What's the highest ripoff price you've seen for 22 ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x19

Hunter
jjas said:
As I stated earlier...I trust no one who supports what is going on with .22 ammo will complain much when they have no choice but to pay twice what they were paying for .22 ammo less than a year ago. And other than greed, there really is not reason for it happening.

But we've shown that enough of us will pay more, so ALL of us will HAVE to do so if we want to continue shooting.

I stopped by the local Wm on the way home from work two weeks ago, and they had Federal 550s for $20.97 per box, also had lots of Win WB handgun ammo (I was looking for and found some .380 FMJ for plinking/practice). I bought two (100 round) boxes of .380 and one of the Federal 550s.

Don't plan to resell any of it as it shoots well for me, and I am down to less than 13,000 rounds of the Federal bulk (most bought at $15.97/550 ~ yes I still willing paid the $5 increase to keep my supplies up).

Fed2_zps25ad4cef.jpg

Fed1_zpsb06ea6aa.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
hangnoose said:
"GOUGING DISCOURAGES HOARDING", what a load of horse hockey. And you do it out of the goodness of your heart I suppose too? It couldn't be to line your pockets and take advantage of a TEMPORARY situation. These panic crazed fools are foaming at the mouth standing waist deep at counters waiting for hours to get ripped off.
Grow up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr5_049654Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ojYtKazgQ

9x19

Hunter
I don't live where you do, and have no idea about your LGS, but the shortage of ammo affected the shops here.

Imagine you're accustomed to selling 100 boxes of ammo each week, the profit from which goes toward paying your employees, keeping the lights, alarm and heat on.

Suddenly, you can't get ammo to fill your shelves, and now can only count on selling 10 boxes of ammo each week... but you still have the same expenses to cover... how do you do that?

I know at least one of the local shops was in that situation. One day they were ordering ammo by the case, the next week their distributor is only offering it to them by the box... if they had any to offer at all.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I remember when guys used to proclaim that "when gas gets up to a dollar a gallon, I'll quit driving!". I bought a 500 gallon farm tank and then a second. Is that "hoarding"?

Of course it's illegal to re-sell gasoline without a license (permission slip). Maybe that's what everyone is thinking makes sense for ammo...?

9x19

Hunter
hangnoose said:
Since it's legal and certainly none of my biz, how many of you others think 13,000 rounds is hoarding? Just for the sake of a good argument.

Goodness, what a depressing life you must have... but now you also have my sincere good wishes that it takes a better turn.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
hangnoose said:
Since it's legal and certainly none of my biz, how many of you others think 13,000 rounds is hoarding? Just for the sake of a good argument.

I would feel like I was getting super low if I only had 13,000 rounds.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Better go stick your head back in the sand before you hear something profound that disturbs your fragile, news media-based reality. I'd sure hate for you to hear something about economics.....from an economist. :roll:

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
I think the word "gouging" brings with it an emotional element that is hard to separate from the discussion.

Gouging in my view is when someone takes advantage of a disastrous situation to gain a profit. People near the coast selling a sheet of plywood for $50 while a hurricane approaches or gas stations charging $6 gallon gas as whole cities try to evacuate due to a natural disaster. These are actions that could cost loss of home or life.

Charging outrageous prices is common and happens all the time. Go to a resort and see $3 cans of soda or Disney World and see a $6 burger. My local golf course sells $10 cigars that I am sure you could buy at a tobacco store for less than $4. No one cries "gouger, gouger", They either buy the burger or wait until they can get something to eat at a later time. These pricing strategies affect the convenience of life but are not life threatening.

The current situation with ammo is creating an opportunity for people to charge outrageous prices, but we the buyers determine if their attempts to take advantage of a situation are successful or not. Just as we do when we buy the $6 burger at Mickey World.

The current difficulty finding 22ammo is certainly inconvenient but is it really life threatening?

If all else fails take up sporting clays!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Gas stations should jack up the prices when the storm is approaching. I lived in Florida in 2004 and worked for a utility company. We had FIVE hurricanes hit in a matter of weeks. The first one was the worst. We had miles of aerial plant destroyed. People hoarded everything, including gasoline. So many people filled every container they could find with gas and refilled their vehicles every day, only to sit at home with their stash. Meanwhile, the folks who had to actually get out there and repair the damage couldn't get fuel because it was all sitting in Joe Blow's garage in milk jugs. Or worse, the hoarders would drive around gawking at the damage. We would've happily paid double the price just to get it. We couldn't and had to ride two or three guys per vehicle to conserve fuel. The supply chain never broke, fuel continued to come into the state. The shortage was strictly due to hoarding. Working at night became impossible because we could not find batteries once our normal supply was depleted. So-called "price gouging" would've prevented most of that. A lot of hardship would've been avoided if people had just stayed home and only bought what they needed.

hangnoose said:
If I choose not to read every single post or watch every video link and miss some PROFOUND LIFE CHANGING INFO, I'll take my chances. After all it's my choice right?
Yes, it certainly is your right to remain ignorant if that is your choice.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I've been trying to for 8 pages now. Your mind was already made up. Apparently you think an open mind will let your brain fall out.

Let me ask you, where did your perception of "price gouging" come from? Did it come from an economist? Or did it come from the evening news? Now, who knows more about how this stuff really works, an economist or a news reporter? Which is the more credible source? Which is just looking for ratings? Have you ever researched this for yourself? Or did you just turn your knee-jerk reaction into doctrine without asking the first question?

Watch the videos........with an open mind.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Another day another arguement, but I dont consider Stossel a news reporter. He is into sensationalism journalism. Look hard enough and you can find someone that will support whatever you are trying to push.

CraigC

Hawkeye
He's a conservative journalist and those are not easy to find. I don't call watching him on 20/20 "looking hard".

I reckon most people are set in their ways, even if they call themselves conservative and you suggest that maybe their views on something are inspired by liberal thought. That's why we are the slowly boiling frog.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It was in Stossel's book long before he was even associated with Fox News but whatever, dude. Oh and I don't watch Fox or any other news station so whatever generalizations you're making about people who only watch Fox news, you can stuff them.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I really do pity people like you. Not because our viewpoints differ but because yours is rooted solely in ignorance and you refuse to entertain anything else. I'll let you get back to complaining about the cost of .22 ammo and rallying for more government control over our lives. Good luck with that.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
If you want .22 ammo just place an order with CMP. Case of 5,000 delivered to your door via Fed EX for $28.50 per brick.
If you don't want to order from them then pay the high prices and suck it up and stop bitchin.

6gun

Hunter
AKDRSS said:
If you want .22 ammo just place an order with CMP. Case of 5,000 delivered to your door via Fed EX for $28.50 per brick.
If you don't want to order from them then pay the high prices and suck it up and stop bitchin.

Delivered in only 6-12 months. :D

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Takes six months as I just had 2 more cases delivered recently. Point is, if you want it for $28.50 a brick then order it now and wait. Then stop your bitchin. If you can't afford a case split it up with a friend.
Drive all over creation looking for it or order it online from your house and be done with it.

I've dreamed a lot lately. Shipping ammo up here to Alaska costs more in shipping charges than the ammo itself no matter what caliber. So the only way to get ammo up here is to buy at the LGS. The only big box store in Anchorage is Sportsmans Warehouse until Bass Pro and Cabelas open up next year sometime. I shoot .22lr more than any other caliber since my own kids and the Boy Scouts that I am an assistant Scout Master of love to go out shooting. There are smaller gun stores that sell .22lr ammo but since they're small, they hardly get any in unlike Sportsmans Warehouse that gets at least a little bit more on their shipment days which is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday between 11am and 2pm and depending when they wheel out the shopping cart of ammo onto the floor. You should see all the people attacking the cart like vultures! I've seen a handful of the same people buying .22lr ammo only to re-sell it online for up to four times what the buying price is. I know that they re-sell it cause I've talked to them before. But the majority of people including me just want to go out and shoot. I remember when the gun and ammo scare first started up here. There were no rifles or handguns to be bought anywhere except for shotguns and shells. Now, the rifles, handguns, magazines, and bigger caliber ammo are almost back to normal but .22lr, 9mm, .40, 45acp are still hard to find. But unless you wait in line for shipments to come in or buy online at rediculous prices, .22lr is IMPOSSIBLE to get. I admit, I've been guilty a few times at buying ammo from private sellers at high prices strictly because I don't want to let my kids and Scouts down. So now I wait until shipments come in and buy my allotted 2/100 boxes of .22lr ammo to come in. Sometimes I'm able to buy and sometimes I miss out.