What's the highest ripoff price you've seen for 22 ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
I just quit shooting. Scaled way back.
'Course I'll buy three times the normal amount first chance at accepted/perceived fair price.

An exhibitor at a recent local gun show had recent manufacture .22 brick 'offered' at $80 and was catching all sorts of grief.

Spooky to think so many idiots have so much ammo.

I totally understand that people want to be prepared and have ammo on hand just in case SHTF and for training and plinking. But you have people out there that are just trying to make a buck when they don't even own a .22lr! They take advantage of people! yes, It is ultimately the persons choice whether to buy at a 400% mark up or not, but if people would just stop buying at those prices, there wouldn't be a problem with scalpers out there cause no one would be buying bricks at $80.00+ each. Now, if there isn't any more scalpers, you still have the problem of ammo hoarders out there. Like I said before, I understand that people want to be prepared and have fun but how much is enough? If the hoarders and scalpers continue, the problem won't ever stop.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Opusnbill7 said:
Completely and totally disagree.
It's a free market buddy. You either live with it or you change it where the government takes control over all that. Who do you want to be in control of who pays how much and for what? You wanna relinquish more freedom to the government, or live with dangerous liberty?

Opusnbill7 said:
This "crisis" would have been over a long time ago if it wasn't for the speculation by various people trying to make a buck.
It's the American, capitalist way. Love or leave it, I'm tired of hearing people whine about living in a free market economy and parroting nonsense they hear on the news about "price gouging".

hutchman

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
Opusnbill7 said:
Completely and totally disagree.
It's a free market buddy. You either live with it or you change it where the government takes control over all that. Who do you want to be in control of who pays how much and for what? You wanna relinquish more freedom to the government, or live with dangerous liberty?

Opusnbill7 said:
This "crisis" would have been over a long time ago if it wasn't for the speculation by various people trying to make a buck.
It's the American, capitalist way. Love or leave it, I'm tired of hearing people whine about living in a free market economy and parroting nonsense they hear on the news about "price gouging".

Well stated Craig!

Opusnbill7

Bearcat
We have the farthest thing from a "free market". The government already subsidizes industries it wants to be "winners" and penalizes those it wants to be "losers". Examples would be oil companies, banking, and alternative energy sources.

You're making a straw man argument because you can't argue with my main point. I never proposed that the "government" should take control of anything. In fact, you're the only person suggesting that. I said that the problem isn't the hoarders who are buying for their own use, the problem with the market now is everyone trying to make a fast buck by gouging their fellow man.

Gouging, or greed, or whatever you want to call it is one of the worst parts of human nature, but you can celebrate it if you like.

I suppose that you had no problem with gas stations in the gulf charging $10 a gallon or more to people evacuating before Katrina (and other hurricanes)? I mean, after all, that's the free market at work, isn't it? I guess if you can't pay that then too bad just drown?

CraigC

Hawkeye
No, we do not but if you get what you want, it will only get worse. You can't just say, "I don't like this and it should change" without following whatever change would be made to its logical conclusion. No, I don't celebrate it, I simply accept it as a necessary evil in a free society. It's better than the alternative. The question is, who do you think should control the price one asks for one's own property??? It's a simple question with a simple answer. It's also the only one that matters.

Bottom line is, either the price is acceptable and you pay it or it is not acceptable and you walk away. It's that simple. I do not understand why so many people have such a problem comprehending this concept.

Your perception is one learned from liberal news reporters with zero perspective and zero understanding. The flip-side of that, the reality of it, is that "price gouging" discourages hoarding. I lived in Florida in 2004 when we had FIVE major hurricanes hit in the course of a few weeks. I was working for a utility company at the time, so hip-deep in it. The first one was devastating. We had miles and miles of destroyed plant. Enough people like YOU complained about "price gouging" that laws were passed. The result? Hoarders filled every container they could find with gasoline. They got in fights at the pumps. They refilled their cars every day. There was no break in the supply chain but there was a shortage due to hoarding. Then people sat at home with their hoarded gasoline or they burned it up driving around gawking at the damage. Meanwhile, the people who actually needed the fuel to repair the damage and clean up the mess could not get it. We would've gladly paid higher prices just to get what we needed. Same thing for batteries, generators and food. Same thing with ammunition right now. The hoarders have it all while those who need it go without. But hey, as long as the hoarders didn't have to pay more than they wanted, that's all that matters, right??? :roll:

conder0289

Single-Sixer
At Walmart last week I bought 4 Federal Bulk Packs of 325 rounds for 15.89 each, not bad considering they normally they have nothing each and every time I've gone there. They guy working the sporting good dept. sees me all the time and was just opening the shipping boxes and said I have ammo if I wanted to wait a few minutes. So that one case of Bulk Packs was gone in minutes, between me and two other guys

macduff

Bearcat
cheaper than dirt had cci 100 round box for $59.00 same ammo at my wally world was $5.77 I no longer trade with cheaper than dirt and I informed them of the fact!!

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
You're a good man blume357. There are a lot of good folks on this forum... when they don't have their panties pulled up so tight it's cutting off the blood to their brain. :lol:

Since I don't need any I don't look for 22RF ammo. I agree with Craig re the price gouging on 22LR ammo though. It's a seller's market now like it or not. You don't want to pay the price to play then don't, simple as that. 22LR ammo is not a necessity, get over it. :roll:

showmad

Bearcat
Eley target has always been pricey but saw some yesterday for $19.95 + tax another $2.00+ for $22.05 out the door for 50 rds! Needless to say I did not buy any.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Sorry, I opine that all the shooters out there who "buy all they can as soon as they see it" are the problem.
If you didn't plan ahead, you've caused the shortage for your neighbors.

wideglide

Bearcat
An older man that I see at the range a lot said he got a "deal" from a "friend", 100 minimags for $30.00. I gave him a box of 333's from my stash. Poor old guy just shoots about 25 rounds on his outings so he doesn't run out. We both shoot Single Sixes so the 333's are fine. Maybe that will take one sin off my list.

6gun

Hunter
wideglide said:
An older man that I see at the range a lot said he got a "deal" from a "friend", 100 minimags for $30.00. I gave him a box of 333's from my stash. Poor old guy just shoots about 25 rounds on his outings so he doesn't run out. We both shoot Single Sixes so the 333's are fine. Maybe that will take one sin off my list.

Poor guy with friends charging prices like that who needs enemys? very nice thing you did for him.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I am still not sure what a "ripoff" or "gouging" is as .22 ammo is not something we must have, its for fun and plinking. I've been fortunate to stock up years ago when prices were lower and never advertised or posted any sales ad's to sell the ammo. But recently while window shopping at a local shop in Colorado Springs the subject of .22 ammo came up and I mentioned I was in good shape. Before you knew it two guys in the store wanted to buy some and I passed. They slowly upped their price to $65 a brick so I caved and sold them 4 bricks each. One guy offered me $30 a box for some of my Rem .22 mag ammo but I passed. They were really happy to have bought the ammo, I was a little disappointed I sold it to be honest.
I don't feel guilty or feel that I gouged anyone because I had no intention of trying to sell my stash.
.22 ammo is simply a commodity right now but I suspect in a year or two prices will stabilize at about $35-40 per brick.

CraigC

Hawkeye
6gun said:
Poor guy with friends charging prices like that who needs enemys? very nice thing you did for him.
And we know how much said friend paid for the ammo just how, exactly???

jjas

Single-Sixer
After glancing through this thread I've come to the conclusion that I can see both sides of the coin on this one. It's ridiculous what people want for .22s right now, but....there's a little thing called "supply and demand" that dictates prices and like it or not, those who have it (.22s), can ask what they want for it right now.

I've always put a bit of ammo back so I wouldn't be without when I wanted to shoot or hunt. I did this before Sandy Hook. I did it before Obama became president, and I'll continue to do so for as long as I own firearms. I've been lucky enough to be able to find .22s from time to time over the last few months and purchase what I needed and I've tried to leave some for the next guy.

For those who were caught short handed....be better prepared next time.

For those of you who purchased thousand of rounds of .22s for the sole purchase of gouging people on it, I trust that someday, karma will pay you a visit......

CraigC

Hawkeye
jjas said:
For those of you who purchased thousand of rounds of .22s for the sole purchase of gouging people on it, I trust that someday, karma will pay you a visit......
As has been said numerous times, any individual is free to ask whatever price they wish for their property. No one is forced to pay it. It's that simple. People buy goods at wholesale prices and mark them up for sale to individuals all day, every day. This is no different.

15yrs ago I bought a bunch of Bianchi holsters from a local shop that had bought another shop's inventory. I turned around and sold them on Ebay for $50-$60. Where's the evil in that? What's the difference? If not the buyer, who should decide what something is worth?

It's obvious to me that a lot of people have never put much thought into this, other than just getting bent outta shape because something costs more than they want to pay. :roll:

jjas

Single-Sixer
CraigC
It's obvious to me that a lot of people have never put much thought into this, other than just getting bent outta shape because something costs more than they want to pay. :roll:

I'll just politely disagree with you....But like I said...karma......and those who purchased .22s for the sole purpose of gouging people....well....when it bites you back....don't cry about it.....

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Seems the vast majority of the people who claim others are gouging and are POS's are the same people who didn't have the fore sight to stock up on ammo or reloading components when the shelves are full and the prices were reasonable.
I agree with CraigC. No one is making anyone buy anything. This country was built on the free enterprise market and everyone is entitled to make a profit. If the profit is to high then no one will buy.
Pretty simple to understand.

No one will sell me an ounce of gold for $200 but I don't think they are a POS or gouging.

cowboy1

Single-Sixer
Ladobe said:
You're a good man blume357. There are a lot of good folks on this forum... when they don't have their panties pulled up so tight it's cutting off the blood to their brain. :lol:

Since I don't need any I don't look for 22RF ammo. I agree with Craig re the price gouging on 22LR ammo though. It's a seller's market now like it or not. You don't want to pay the price to play then don't, simple as that. 22LR ammo is not a necessity, get over it. :roll:
Craig C has an opinion, (usually nutty, usually wrong) on almost any topic mentioned on this forum. MHO
CB1