What was your favorite song when you were a kid?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe Morello was the drummer for Dave Brubeck. Take five was THE first jazz tune I ever heard and I couldn't get that drum solo out of my head. (Circa 1962) That drum solo prompted me to learn the drum set and I made a decent amount of money playing music. for about 35 years.
The Dave Brubeck Quartet album that had Take Five, Blue Rondo, et al was one of my first two 78 lp records. The other was the Animals (Eric Burden) album that included House of the Rising Sun. I wore out my parents' record player playing those two albums. Plus my music was a great counterpoint to my parents' "Sing Along With Mitch" records.

Joe Morello was the drummer for Dave Brubeck. Take five was THE first jazz tune I ever heard and I couldn't get that drum solo out of my head. (Circa 1962) That drum solo prompted me to learn the drum set and I made a decent amount of money playing music. for about 35 years.

Your comment caught my eye as it is rare to run across someone who knows who Joe Morello was, or Gene Wright, the bassist in the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I was a jazz fan as a teenager and a huge fan of the Brubeck Quartet, and had the special pleasure of having met the members of the Quartet after a concert at the Music Barn in Massachusetts in the summer of 1959. I'll admit that I was more a fan of Paul Desmond on sax than of Brubeck himself. Those were good times.

robho40

Bearcat
Riders in the Sky (1950s). I was riding with my wonderful grandpa back to Rochester, NY from the Thousand Islands after a fantastic fishing vacation when we listened to it on the car radio, It played as I watched the beautiful cloud formations over the rolling hills and lakes along the road. It all has stuck in my mind to this day

For me as a little kid in the 1950's is was the theme song about Davy Crockett sung by Fess Parker.

CHEVYINLINE6.
Yep It was number one song that year 1955. I was 12 at the time. I was not much into music, but the first of very few records I bought was "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and The Comets. How could you not like it after seeing the movie "Blackboard Jungle"??
At 17 1960 driving my Main Squeeze around it was "Forever" by The Little Dippers 17 was also when I went off to USAF and heard other types of songs ;) ;)
Thanks for the memories guys.:)

Mike J

Hunter
When I first saw this thread I couldn't think of a favorite song. Lots of stuff I like but a favorite is a different thing. Now every time I see the thread title I think "Jesus Loves Me." Learned it in Sunday School when I was a kid. Then they had us sing it when we graduated from the Methodist Kindergarten. I believe it is the only song I know all the words to.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet album that had Take Five, Blue Rondo, et al was one of my first two 78 lp records. The other was the Animals (Eric Burden) album that included House of the Rising Sun. I wore out my parents' record player playing those two albums. Plus my music was a great counterpoint to my parents' "Sing Along With Mitch" records.
As a high school (grad '55) & college (grad '59) kid I had a big detached room at the back of our home that was my den & haven. Scrounged furniture, couch, easy chairs & a couple small table & a big folding one, 1 overhead light & 1 duplex outlet on the wall and a lockable door was all the basics I needed. No TV but a great Fisher hi-fi receiver/amp with a Garard Turntable & 10" reel-to-reel tape deck pushing a pair of huge 15" speakers supported by 1/2 a dozen 8" speakers.
I had 4 really close buddies who in the mid-1950s could relax with a gallon of Mogen David Grape wine (tasted like grape juice). We could sit around and tell lies or just listen the rhythms of Brubach or Errol Gardner or even some of the older big band leaders like Artie Shaw & Mitch Miller. We liked Frankie Laine (Ghost Riders....), Joannie James, Terry Brewer and recordings like "It's In The Book!" None of us were the least bit concerned about politics, although we did follow the newspaper accounts of the Korean War (1950-1953). My youngest uncle was a USN SeaBee in the Pacific and his letters added color to the dull news stories.

KIR

Sparks, NV
When I was really young it was "Happy Birthday to You" Meant I was getting a present.
You obviously haven't read this whole thread. I already said that, but it probably was your fave too.
I just turned 80 in late May. I was sung that song by several...and my son bought me a .22 pocket pistol.
DSCN3402.JPG

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
After I outgrew Jingle Bells, Happy Birthday and the theme from Popeye the Sailorman,

Alice's Restaurant Massacre Over and over again

warren5421

Single-Sixer
Some good ones not mentioned: Mule Skiner Blues, Hotrod Ford, Nash Ramber, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Mash the Monster Mash, Walking the floor over you, and so many more.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
Strawberry Roan, Ghost Riders in the sky, Big Iron, El Paso, Navajo Rug by Ian Tyson, open Pit mine by George Jones, anything by Merle. Music today pales in comparison, most of the good ones are gone. Sheriff Jim Wilson sings a wonderful ballad of the Colt SAA that I used to sing to my oldest boy when he was a baby to put him to sleep!

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Another one I loved as a kid. Robert Goulet singing Exodus or This Land is
Mine. Andy Williams does it best. Still sing it today.
Dano