What to do with 30-40 year old 16 ga shotgun shells

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blindjim

Bearcat
A friend was helping me out this past weekend with some projects and I showed him my latest fire arm accessory. it brought to his mind a question I could not accurately enough satisfy.

he said, "I've got a few cases of very very old 16 ga shotgun shells. Maybe as old as 50 years. Where can I dispose of them? Can I sell them? Shoot them? their age worries me."

Never having been asked such a thing nor have I had any shells last me that long, I've some ideas but thought to ask here..... what's the best and or safest, thing to do with them?

I don't think he has a 16ga gun either.

Thanks for all the input.

Coogs

Maximum
In my opinion, the biggest question would be, "how were they stored?" I have some 50-60 year old 16, 20, .410 ga. paper shells, that I still shoot. Never had a problem, but, mine are stored in a climate controlled area and have been for 20+ years. Next question would be, "what type of powder are they loaded with?" I am not qualified enough to testify to the possible chemical breakdown of gun powdwers. but I do remember an article somewhere, a long time ago, about British military ammo that was loaded with, wow, big time CRS! I'm not sure what it was loaded with, but it chemically broke down over a long period of time and became rather explosive! Also make sure they are not water damaged, ie., swelling......or brass corrosion......after all that the rest would be up to you wether you use them or not, Coogs.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I am still shooting some Remington high brass 16ga that was shipped to the hardware store I used to work for in the early 60's.

As long as there is no corrosion on the brass and they chamber I would not, and do not, hesitate to shoot them.

I periodically shoot some 1950's to 1960's timeframe shotshells with no problems, but they have been stored in a cool, dry climate. Same for some centerfire and rimfire metallic cartridges. I look at boxes and cartridges for condition, and if it looks good I shoot it.

tomisu

Bearcat
My father, and I when I lived at home, still had paper 12 gage shells from the 1930's. My dad quit using them around 1990 - he ran out and had to purchase more! They had been stored inside and had no corrosion or deteriation. The Model 97's we used them in were all older than the shells and there have been many deer, partridge and rabbit taken with them.

blindjim

Bearcat
Apparently such older rounds dno't have any significant or noteworthy or collectable value, right?

Unless they were signed by Gene Autry... or better still Gabby Hayes, right?

Coogs

Maximum
Depends..........I have some Monarch's, 12ga. Marked "U.S. Gov't Property" in sealed foiled bags..........about $120.00 box in foil, $80-100.00 out of foil..........Early WWII production................Coogs.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Dunno about any collector value, but if they're obviously factory shells, the storage conditions should determine if they're ok.

My father shot a 16 ga, once upon a time, and I came across a couple of boxes of shells for it a couple of years ago. Both he and the gun were no longer w/ us, so I gave them to a buddy who had a 16. I know they were purchased between 1960 and 1965.

Buddy shot a few, said they worked fine.

But if there's any doubt, and nobody wants to keep them simply for display, one can cut them open, salvage the shot for reuse, pull 'em down further to collect the powder, which makes good fertilizer when watered into the lawn, and pop the primers by shooting them in the gun.

Have done that more than once...

Rick

Enigma

Hunter
I have fired many rounds of metallic cartridges that were loaded as long ago as 1930, and know of some who have fired even older ones. As with shotshells, storage conditions are the key to longevity. Inspect the shells for corrosion or other deterioration; if none is found they will almost certainly fire, and should be entirely safe.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have an old gun to shoot them in! Remington 16 gauge single shot with 36 inch full choke barrel,hammer down on the left side of the reciever.Pretty tight old gun.Made about 1909 or 1910 I think.
I had some old 45 colt shells(Remington Peters ect)I shot them but some of them seemed to be really "potent". They were factory shells but I had kept them in a leather shell belt for quite a while and the brass turned tarneshed looking. I don't know if that effected them or not?

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
I read how black powder guns have been charged and capped yet after 30+ years or more stored in proper conditions, the black powder gun will ignite its charge as easily and reliably as if it were loaded a few minutes prior. So if the "sealed" shotshells are stored in good conditions, of course they will fire.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

While reading the various replies, one thing occurred to me about shotshells I'd kinda forgotten:

Since the early to mid-'60s, most shotshells have been loaded w/ one piece plastic wad/shotcup combos. Some of them hold up quite well over time. But there are some which, after 15-20 yrs, start to break down in the "leg" area between the overpowder cup at the bottom and the shotcup at the top. It can crack or collapse prematurely so it doesn't cushion as well when fired as it's designed to do.

Don't remember which brands were problematic, but this knowledge comes from cutting down some old reloads that had a variety of components...

The old ones I gave my buddy were loaded w/ the old style felt wads, which probably never break down in the shell. Especially when loaded in plastic hulls that don't absorb moisture like the paper ones can.

So it might be worth cutting one open to see how things look inside before firing old shotshells.

Just thinkin' out loud, ya know...

Rick C

ElectraClyde

Single-Sixer
he said, "I've got a few cases of very very old 16 ga shotgun shells. Maybe as old as 50 years. Where can I dispose of them? Can I sell them? Shoot them? their age worries me."

By all means, sell them. 16 gauge guys are always looking for shells especially 2 9/16" shells. If you lived close, you'd already have an offer from me :D

Try www.16ga.com to sell them. You'll probably find someone close by so you won't have to ship.

Good luck

Clyde

AZshooter

Bearcat
Just because it's old, doesn't mean that the ammo is no longer serviceable. I have several crates of late 1930's era 8mm Mauser ammo that performs as well as when brand new. Of course, it is stored in hermetically-sealed crates until I open it up to shoot.

As already mentioned, ammo quality depends upon storage conditions. Were your shotgun shells stored in a shoebox in a closet, or out in the garage, where there is a wide range between summertime temp highs & winter lows? Hot weather accelerates powder decomposition.

If unsure about its' storage history, consider passing it on to an ammo collector.