What Red Dot Scope?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rebel46

Single-Sixer
I have a Super Redhawk .44 magnum and want to put a red dot scope on it. I know NOTHING about these scopes and there are so many kinds! I am looking at a Millett 30mm that has four dots in it - 3, 5, 8, 10. Anyone have one like that? What size dot do I need? Thanks in advance for any info.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The UltraDot has a better reputation. A 3 MOA dot is tiny for a handgun unless you want to do a lot of hunting or target shooting. At 50 yards a 3 MOA dot will cover 1.5" (edit) of target. A 30mm tube would be great but didn't your gun come with 1" rings?

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=ultradot

...Jimbo (thanks tulsamal)

I have a Bushnell red dot. It has the option of changing not only size 4 6, or 8, but also red or green or a + sign or dot or a small ring.

I've got it on a 357 and haven't had any issues with it.

I have a Bushnell red dot. It has the option of changing not only size 4 6, or 8, but also red or green or a + sign or dot or a small ring.

I've got it on a 357 and haven't had any issues with it. :!:

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have a C-More on my open 2011, and JPoint on my MKIII.

You get what you pay for on these. I bet that Millet doesn't make it through 1 box of ammo.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Kevin said:

Except the OP dosn't have a .357 magnum. Heavy .44 mag loads will likely eat that Bushnell in short order.

Captains1911

Single-Sixer
If you don't want to have to worry about it get an Aimoint Micro. They are pricey but will hold up to anything you throw at it. You may be able to find one used and save a few bucks. I wouldn't trust a cheap red dot on stout .44 loads.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
If your Super is new, contact Ruger about swapping the 1" rings for 30mm.
The 30mm UltraDot has a great reputation for not breaking. I had a Silver one on my 44, I currently have a Black one on my 480.

A good source is UltraDot West. Order a Scope Coat with the UltraDot.

Note: The UltraDot is made in Japan, and not China.

Want more input, check on the Handgun Hunting Forum.

Bob

edfardos

Single-Sixer
I have a Millet red dot. I wouldn't recommend it. The first one burned out (no dot), the replacement is distorted (dot doesn't stay on the target towards the bottom of of the aperture). For long range, it's cool, but for up close shooting beercans and such, it's distracting, I took it off my 44mag. I might put it on my AR15 to test new ammo accuracy tho, at least for a while.

--edfardos

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I have a Gilmore on my 44 (Performance Center 629) that I reallylike. It's had a lot of rounds shot under it. It's only a red dot and not real big, 3 minutes I think. I have a cheapie on my Single Six, don't like it quite as much. I put a red/green Bushnell on my brother in laws 444 TC Contender. That color change is a nice feature in changing light and he likes all the different recticles. My advice is to spend as much money as you can on the Red Dot. Cheap one's don't like 44's, it seems that price is related to quality on optics. Aimpoints do have a good reputation.
Bfly

onthehunt

Bearcat
I have a Bushnell on a single shot 10 gauge short-barrel turkey gun. Recoil is more than modest.... It lasted 3 seasons. Approx. 50 shells. Bushnell did replace for free. Lifetime warranty.

Dale53

Blackhawk
The UltraDot is Ultra reliable in my experience. They will handle the recoil. Others are questionable.

I have a half dozen Simmons 30mm Red Dot sights and they have been reliable. However, .44 Magnum is the max they are recommended for by the company (which may mean they are marginal for the .44 Mag.).

I have the Ultradots on the heavy hitters (.44 Magnum and .454 Casull).

Don't put too much stock in the size of the dot in minutes quoted by ANY manufacturer. You'll be better served with a choice (my UltraDots and Simmons have a choice of several different reticles - that's the way to go, in my opinion). Then, you can choose the one you want with YOUR eyes...

Dale53

rusty77

Bearcat
I have an Ultradot on my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. I have had trouble keeping it zeroed. Have to re-zero every 20 shots or so.

Anyone else had this problem. Just changed the factory rings for a set of Millets. Need to test this setup.

Latest posts