What is wrong with the P95?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerShooter

Bearcat
It seems like there are a lot of people having problems with the P95(including me). Are they not building a quality product. You should not have to break in a new pistol and there should not be ejection or extraction problems with a brand new out of the box gun as often as I am reading here.

leejack

Single-Sixer
I've been following this too. I'm getting nervous. My daughter wants one and I just hate problems. That's why I've been shooting Blackhawks and Sixes for so long. Never a problem. Never!

lee

fez

Bearcat
People,please do not go by forums to measure a firearms,or any other device reliabilty.The percentage of people that have problems and seek forums for advice is very small compared to the hundreds of thousands of guns that Ruger produces.If I relied on forums to buy a product I would own nothing.Satisfied people usually do not report their positive experiences.It is only the small percentage of those with problems that ask for help.Also,you must rule out,shooter,ammo and abuse problems.That leaves a small amount factory problems and those are usually machine operator related not design related.Just my 2c.

revhigh

Hawkeye
fez":360ed45c said:
People,please do not go by forums to measure a firearms,or any other device reliabilty.

Satisfied people usually do not report their positive experiences.

So I guess you're saying that all the thousands upon thousands of members here at Ruger forum are here because they had/have 'problematic' guns ??

I'd say that a Brand specific forum is probably the most reliable place to go to get the 'true skinny' on a model in general. You find out the good AND the bad ... nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Regarding your second comment, I'd say the exact opposite is true here on the Ruger forum. I'd say the vast majority of members here are more than satisfied/pleased with 'most' of the Rugers they've purchased.

A reader of the forum should be easily able to tell what models have an isolated problem here and there, versus an endemic problem unique to a model itself. Myself, I read as much as I can from a multitude of forums prior to purchase, and I can easily weed out isolated occurrances from model specific problems.

REV

fez

Bearcat
Obviously these two posters seem to be picking up negative vibes on the p95 from this forum.I just didn't think it was the case.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Although I do not at present own a P95 (or any 9mm), just yesterday I was telling someone how underrated I think the P95 is and what a bargain it is at the prices people are paying. That is based upon my experience with several P95s and just about everything I have read about other people's experience. I've not read anything that indicates any systemic problem with that model. Nothing. If I wanted to buy a a reasonably priced, reliable 9mm today, I would buy a P95 in a heartbeat.

fez

Bearcat
I'll second that.Because the 9mm ammo is still cheaper then the others I sold a 45 I had and was not shooting that much.I looked at Beretta 92,Taurus 92 and the ruger 95.I got alot more for my money with the p95 and,IMHO,did not sacrifice anything.It was used even.

A

Anonymous

Not that I'm any expert as I've had mine about a week and shot about 100 rds thru it. I will say on my limited observation I am very happy with my purchase. I had an initial self inflicted problem on taking it down for it's initial cleanup before shooting but I got good help here on the forum and quickly remedied my mistake and had her up and running like a scalded cat in no time. I was a skeptic of "plastic" guns" but the price enticed me and so far I'm having to readjust my thinking . It seems like a heck of a value and so far not a hint of a hiccup shooting winchester white box. They have a reputation of shooting anything which was a further enticement for me a I can't stand a balky auto.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
RugerShooter":3resdtyq said:
It seems like there are a lot of people having problems with the P95(including me). Are they not building a quality product.
RugerShooter ... While I'm sorry to hear that you're having some difficulties with your P95, I doubt seriously that it is because of a large scale quality issue at Ruger (every manufacturer turns out a bad apple occasionally). I think you'll find the vast majority of P95 owners here at the forum (including me) are well pleased with their P95. Mine is now over 6,500 rounds without a failure of any kind (I would have to believe that there are many other "happy owners" here whose round count significally exceeds mine).

RugerShooter

Bearcat
I have aleady posted this, but I was having tons of fte's and ftf's with my P95(brand new out of box) and after putting it in ths closet out of disgust for a couple of months i finally called Ruger and sent it in. They had to replace the ejector and the extractor(excuse me if I did not call these by the correct name) and now that I have it back I put two magazines thru it and it worked ok and then it went back in the closet. The gun is brand new, but after all the problems and lousy trips to the range I now have a bad feeling about the gun. I don't want to shoot it anymore. I have no confidence it will go bang when I pull the trigger. So, now I will probably trade it in at a loss.

RugerShooter

Bearcat
I am sure their a a LOT of happy P95 owners. I am just not one of them. How many of you would keep a gun in your nightstand that you had no confidence in?

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
RugerShooter ... While the decision is ultimately yours, how many rounds would you have to put through it (now that it's fixed) to regain your level of confidence ... 100 ... 200 ... 500? I would suspect that the cost of doing so would almost certainly be less than the loss you will incure in a trade-in situation (JMHO).

leejack

Single-Sixer
I have been thrilled with the P90, I've posted that before.

I will let ya's know if I join the 95 club.

all the best,

lee

jbender

Bearcat
RugerShooter":3fe9tigk said:
I have aleady posted this, but I was having tons of fte's and ftf's with my P95(brand new out of box) and after putting it in ths closet out of disgust for a couple of months i finally called Ruger and sent it in. They had to replace the ejector and the extractor(excuse me if I did not call these by the correct name) and now that I have it back I put two magazines thru it and it worked ok and then it went back in the closet. The gun is brand new, but after all the problems and lousy trips to the range I now have a bad feeling about the gun. I don't want to shoot it anymore. I have no confidence it will go bang when I pull the trigger. So, now I will probably trade it in at a loss.

two or three magazines and you gave up on it? really? One of the biggest reasons i got the p95 was because of this forum. Two weeks and 350 rounds ago i had minor issues with my p95 the problems were my inexperience/stupidity and the cheap ammo i was putting in it. Frustrating maybe but i asked for help from people here who obviously know this gun and they helped me out big time. Now since i got their help i have put 150 rounds of 3 different brands of cheap ammo through it without one jam so to say you have no confidence in your p95 is just insane look at the posts that helped me and some others work the bugs out of their p95s and shoot it.

all of that said two days ago my buddy got a glock 33 (.357 sig) spent about $600 on it you want to talk about problems? he shot it, ftf or fte every round. I shot it, ftf and fte every third or fourth round. One of our cop friends shot it and had the same problem i did. Its in the mail today on the way back to glock for repair(he had to pay shipping). Ill stick with my $300 p95 that i had to work a few minor bugs out thanks.

JB

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I hope you shoot it some more then give it an honest evaluation. When I first had issues with mine I came here, I think if I look up my first post, it was me asking for help as I was having FTE, FTF issues every 2-3 rounds.....(it was just me trying to limp wrist a gun right out of the box without cleaning it first...) I would trust my families life to my P95, but that's not going to convince you. I say pick up 2 100 ct boxes of WWB and go plinking away. If I still had issues after that, well, it would be hard to convince me that it was still the gun for me.... if you have no issues (I'm bettin ya don't) well, you got to go have fun, spent $45 and have a gun to clean! Let us know....

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I have a Yamaha electronic drum kit I bought new and had problems with, thats how I found the Yamaha drum forum I post in.

If I never had any issues with my Ruger (to start) I doubt I would have posted here either....

Glad I had problems & identified what they were & now I am a happy drummin/shootin fool :)

Double B

Bearcat
Got a P95 used and it shoots great on any ammo I feed it. Yours isn't even broke in yet, shoot it a bunch and then see how it does. Mine's not real accurate but it goes bang every time.

I have two perspectives of the P95...

One is all the information (good and bad) I've gathered from this forum and most of it is good on here with a few folks having serious issues with their gun. And that is what the forum is for.... to try and help them with it... even if it means saying you got a turkey and need to send it back to the factory.

The second perspective is in regards to the 3 p95s I own...

never a problem with any of them... but in all honesty one of them hasn't been fired in over 3 years. Looks like I need to take her to the range next week.