What is thedifference between Ruger single action revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I am just beginning to look at single action revolvers and I need some help discerning some of the finer distinctions between the Ruger revolvers. To keep it simple, right out of the gate, what is the difference between .357 Mag Blackhawk and Vaquero revolvers? It either isn't stated on Ruger's website or I am just missing the obvious. Input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
A Vaquero has fixed sights and is very similar in appearance to the old Colt Single Action Army. The rear sight is a simple groove in the frame and the front sight duplicates the old Colt style blade front sight.
The Blackhawk has a rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation. The front sight is typically a ramp style - but there are other varieties.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Ah, yes, the sights, had not thought of that. Thanks for the advise! Now I can look with a better idea of how to compare.

Thanks again!

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I will need to see if I can get my hands on the two grip styles and see which is more comfortable.

Do you have a preference of one over the other? And why?

Powderblast

Bearcat
The Bisley is thought by some to be more comfortable to shoot heavy powered loads, but
I have never had two side by side to compare.

DPris

Buckeye
Your questions about differences could easily have been answered by going to Ruger's website & looking at their photos of the various models.
They do show an image in profile of every model they list, along with descriptions, and you are missing the obvious.

You can shoulder some of the burden of your research. :)
Denis

P89DC

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
We certainly don't want to waste time on this when there's Grizzly threads in need of edjumacating.... :)

Sugar River

Buckeye
Also blue Blackhawks have aluminum alloy grip frames, while Vaqueros and New Vaqueros are all steel. But the Flat tops are also steel. And stainless Blackhawks are steel. The alloy GF reduces gun weight about 5-6 oz and changes the balance.
Confused yet?

I've often wondered, back to the Blackhawk vs, vaquero question, is there a difference with the trigger and how it works? I can see the Blackhawk has adjustable sights and they have different grips too, yes? The new model vaquero also has an internal lock while the Blackhawk does not. Not sure if this is evident on the website or not. I have both and the vaquero seems so much more slick. The Blackhawk by comparison is "clunky."

contender

Ruger Guru
Dennis,,, there are a lot of differences in the various models of Ruger SA handguns. New Model & Old Model. Small frame, mid-frame, large frame, & extended large frame. Grip frames, the XR3, XR3-RED, NXR3-RED, Bisley, MR3-DB, & Dragoon types. Add in the steel vs. alloy ones.
Next we have fixed sights, Flattops, Flatgates, protected ears, & grooved topstraps.
Just your question,, a 357 Blackhawk & the Vaquero. There is the Flattop 357, (Both in OM & NM,) protected ears, & Vaqueros & New Vaqueros, and a Bisley Vaquero.
Confused yet?
May I suggest you attend a Ruger Collectors show & look at the different SA's on display & ask questions there? Or,,, find a serious SA collector & see if they can share their different guns with you.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
Your questions about differences could easily have been answered by going to Ruger's website & looking at their photos of the various models.
They do show an image in profile of every model they list, along with descriptions, and you are missing the obvious.

Denis
Denis,

I have "shouldered" my own research before I came to this forum to ask for advice. I plainly stated in my original post that I had been to the website but wasn't getting much out of it. I did look at the profiles but just didnt see enough difference to make a judcement. When other helpful posters suggested looking at the sights I really appreciated that. I tried but I don't know what I don't know so thought it would be safe to come to this forum without getting slammed for no good reason . I guess I was wrong.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I've often wondered, back to the Blackhawk vs, vaquero question, is there a difference with the trigger and how it works? I can see the Blackhawk has adjustable sights and they have different grips too, yes? The new model vaquero also has an internal lock while the Blackhawk does not. Not sure if this is evident on the website or not. I have both and the vaquero seems so much more slick. The Blackhawk by comparison is "clunky."
Seems to me that the Vaquero parts get more polishing and that makes them feel slicker. The New Vaquero also has lighter springs than Blackhawks.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Dennis,

The best way I can explain the difference is by photos:

Here is a Ruger Bisley (top) and a Super Blackhawk. (My Super Blackhawk is customized) The difference is in the grips, hammer, and trigger. The actions are similar, only the profiles are different.

This is a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, again mine has been cutomized:

The Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk are similar, only changes are in the grip frame and the hammer. For whatever its worth, parts are interchangeable between Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk.

And here is a Blackhawk (left) and a Blackhawk Flat Top .44 Special:

The Flat Top is built on a slightly smaller frame, and has a slightly different grip.

This is the original Vaquero:

Think of it as a fixed sighted Blackhawk.

Hope this helps.

Bob Wright

DPris

Buckeye
Dennis,
You didn't get slammed.

Ruger has clear photos of each model on that website.

You can very easily tell the difference between Blackhawk & Vaquero if you take the time to look at those photos.

Had you done so, you would have seen the difference in sights.
Same for Blackhawk vs Bisley, the grips are quite different.

Those would have, had you taken the time, given you a basic foundation from which you could have asked for more specific info, such as "Why do some of you prefer that Bisley grip?"

A look at the specs listed for each model could have also helped in giving you an idea of the differences between models.

Nothing wrong in asking here, but the questions you did ask & your statement about not getting anything useful off the Ruger website prompted my reply.

If you do take the time to study those images, you can see sights on one model & no sights on the other.
Which are also mentioned in the descriptions.

That would give you a basis for further discussion.

Kevin,
Ruger dropped the internal lock on all single-actions a couple years back.
Denis

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Bob,

Thanks for the photos and notes. It appears that on the Bisley that the hand is higher up, i.e. closer to the axis of the barrel. My understanding of firearms, meager as that is, that this would be better for recoil would it not?

Thanks again - the profile distinction is not intuitively obvious to the untrained eye.

Peace,
Dennis

Dennis said:
Bob,

Thanks for the photos and notes. It appears that on the Bisley that the hand is higher up, i.e. closer to the axis of the barrel. My understanding of firearms, meager as that is, that this would be better for recoil would it not?

Thanks again - the profile distinction is not intuitively obvious to the untrained eye.

Peace,
Dennis

You betcha the idea is sound. A Bisley grip is beneficial for lotsa folks. But hold on there partner. There just ain't too many free rides in this world. Hand higher on the grip means middle-finger knuckle that much closer to the trigger guard. And if you've pulled wrenches for most of your life, and your fingers and knuckles are as big as a gorilla, that middle-finger knuckle gets bashed terribly. Then I've gotta slide my hand way down the grip and curl my pinky finger beneath the grip. Defeated all the benefit of the Bisley grip. :?

A feller has just gotta try all the options available. What doesn't work for me just might be the best choice for you. Come out to Orygun sometime. I'll letcha shoot em all. Really. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
WAYNO,

Thanks for the invitation, I'll provide the ammo. :)

Appreciate your thoughts on grip placement and don't forget what that middle finger is doing!