WHAT IS THE FASCINATION WITH THE 44 SPECIAL?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpickar

Blackhawk
OK, OK now I think I am "needing" another gun gun!!! :lol: :lol:

I didn't even start this with the intent of thinking about another gun. I just wanted to know more about the appeal of the 44 Special.

Dave T, you baited me real well. :lol:

Thanks to all of you guys for the info and input. I will let you know if I get a 44 special.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

John

2 dogs

Buckeye
Well, dont start looking at the classic DA's then....
A King Super Target 1950 Smith conversion with Barranti Leather:
036-1.jpg

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Some beautiful wheelguns here for sure! But I agree with flatgate, the main attraction of the .44 Spl is spelled "K E I T H". Also the fact that the cartridge is more shooter friendly than the full tilt .44 mag or heavy loaded .45 Colt. Personally, I find the .44 Spl a "ho hum" cartridge, that the standard .45 Colt beats on all counts as factory loaded.....Dennis (Who can understand the Keithaholics. I doted on Jack O'Connor and own two .270's! :lol: )

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
There's nothing I can add to what's already been said other than for a seemingly popular cartridge there is a very poor selection of factory ammo available at sensible prices and particulalrly if you are looking for something like a 240 gr bullet virtually nothing available with a good bullet as opposed to Round Nose Lead.

There must be something "special about the 44 spl" for it to survive despite the relative lack of ammo and guns available in the caliber

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Redhawk4":258jhdxa said:
There's nothing I can add to what's already been said other than for a seemingly popular cartridge there is a very poor selection of factory ammo available at sensible prices and particulalrly if you are looking for something like a 240 gr bullet virtually nothing available with a good bullet as opposed to Round Nose Lead.
Indeed. If someone were to market a dead ringer for Elmer's favorite load, I bet they'd sell like hotcakes....JMO, Dennis

Stoots

Buckeye

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Stoots

I have a SBH 4 5/8" and a Lipsey's 44 spec. in the same barrel length. Granted the weight difference is not much. It is hard to explain unless you actually handle them, but the medium frame combined with the newer version of the XR-3 grip frame just makes it feel smaller, more compact, and for me it feels better to shoot it. I thought I would really like that SBH, but it feels kind of "chunky" to me, and the FT 44 Special feels "right" for some reason.

Dan

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I'd like to see a good 240 gr hollowpoint at 850-900 fps for an SD round, something that would have similar ballistics to a hotter 45 acp round.

In a good sized revolver, recoil would be really manageable and it would be an excellent fight stopper.

IMO, if such ammo were available you'd see an increase in interest and demand for 44 spl revolvers and ammo.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Here is a custom Old Model .44Spl (37oz) and a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. Both before (43oz) and after (46oz) the Bisley conversion, the difference in handling between the two guns is night and day and, as usual, numbers on paper do not tell the whole story.

P1010025.JPG

P1010059.JPG

Cholo

Staff member
I hope I'm not leaving anybody out. Yosemite Sam, Stoots and Cholo want to know what the deal is when the .44 Special only weighs a few ounces less that a .44 mag or .45LC. I understand nostalgia and frame sizes. What I'm hearing is: Can't explain it. You just have to feel the difference, carry it and shoot it; then you'll know. I may just have to take a leap of faith. Here's the way I see it. Y'all just might be on to something I just don't get. Let's put it in movie terms.

"Christine": You come up and tell me..."You've got to go see this movie! It's about this car that kills people and this bullied kid buys it and it still kills people. If it gets trashed, it fixes itself and kills some more people. It's a cult classic. Want to go see it with me?" Cholo: "No..." I actually really like the movie but never would have seen it if somebody tried to explain it to me. I had to see it myself.

Ok, I already have the brass, primers, bullets and powder. All I lack is this particular gun; I have another DA .44 Special. Don't worry about me getting one of the stainless ones when they come out though. It's the wrong color... :wink:

gak

Buckeye
Ounces and fractions of inches (in OAL and cylinder/frame girth) to guns are kind of like wheelbase inches in cars, every additional (or fewer) counts more than you think--in weight, portability and handling, especially when carrying around on the hip for a few to several hours. The three ounces initially noted by the OP as well as more modest overall dimensions of the mid-frame, to me, make enough of a difference to make the case.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
In my limited allotment of time and place I've been fortunate to observe and share in the wave of enthusiasm (elitism?) (cult status?) regarding the Colt SAA, the Randall knife, the Black Widow bow, the Parker SXS, the .44 Special, and a few other non-chemical addictions.

Your mileage and list of things qualifying for cult status may vary, but, thanks to excellent performance and the writings of Elmer, Skeeter, and a few other gun scribes, the "venerable" .44 Special will appear on many folks' lists.

Soooo...... a few shade tree-type theoretical questions may arise.

Would the .44 OR the .270 Win. frequent as many lists had Jack O'Connor and Elmer not engaged in their long-standing debates ref. bullet weight vs. velocity, etc., etc.?

Will the 28 gauge O/U, the .41 Mag, old "Stutson" hats, Stradivarius (sp?) fiddles, baseball, grits and gravy, Bearcats (both Stutz and Ruger varieties)or blondes with drawls appear on a few lists?

Can "black guns", Black Hawks, and Black Jack Daniels be expected on a few?

Aint life grand?

Merry Christmas.

Rich

Flashman

Bearcat
I agree with many of the comments above. My 5 1/2" SB actual weight is 43.5 oz's and although I was excited about the new .44, it appears the weight difernce is a push (42 to 45 oz, 4 5/8's and 6.5" barrels). If I didn't already have the SB, I would get this gun. I find the SB an extremely accurate and comfortable revolver. However, I also have a NV in .45 4 5/8 barrel with an actual weight of 39 ozs. For carrying there is a significant difference between 39 and 43.5 ozs. And the NV feels just great. It is my favorite handgun even though I struggle with the sights.

I guess my "dream" single action would be my NV with (I think) Clements rear sight. I would be able to see the sights better and wouldn't add any significant weight.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
What's the difference between Bud light in a can, and Sam Adams Octoberfest on tap? Beer is beer?

I had my wife, definatly not a gun person, handle my 4.62" Bisley Vaquero .44 mag and Lipseys 5.5" .44 spc side by side, which do you think she shot more? The few oz's are in all the right places.