WHAT IS THE FASCINATION WITH THE 44 SPECIAL?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2 dogs

Buckeye
My 44 specials for the most part are Custom Sixgun by some of the best sixgunsmiths extant. I have gone so far as to have Alan Harton build a copy of the famous #5. Dont ask, we are not quite sure how much it actually cost. So, not only is the cartridge special, but the packages can really be something. Imagine walking the same trail, long cold, that Elmer Keith trod, to find a special man to build a special sixgun from scratch...
Yes, my sixgun is different that that of The Grand Old Man, but then again he hated a counterfeiter. So, my 44 special sixguns are my connections to my mentors and heros in my life. For now, my #5 is off with my dear friend and brother Boge Quinn who is doing me the honor of scrimshawing my ivory....
The real deal:
Keith5.jpg

Some of mine:
023.jpg

2 dogs

Buckeye
More, I purchased 3 consecutive serial numbered Lipseys 44 specials. One for me, and one for each of my sons. What other caliber is appropriate for that?

wixedmords

Blackhawk
The 44 Special is a great cartridge.

It is a big bullet traveling at a decent speed creating a comfortable shooting cartridge for those who are sensitive to such things.

One great thing about the 44 Special is being a shorter big bore cartridge it allows for a nice little carry package when looking for a big bore carry piece. It is fantastic in something like a Charter Bulldog.

It is also a fine target cartridge when shot through a target revolver. It's really a win/win cartridge imo.

dougader

Hunter
I used to only covet nice revolvers in 45 Colt. Then I held a Lipsey 44 Special on the medium frame. The first thing I thought was: "Crap. Now I have to get bullet molds, dies and cases for another caliber!"

If I'm only shooting the old, low pressure, 14,000 psi loads in 45 Colt, then I can have my fun in a medium frame gun just fine. But if I want to load hotter and keep the somewhat handier medium frame revolver and a 6 shot cylinder, then I need to stick to 357 mag, 41 mag or 44 Special. And for up colse and personal my pick is the fatter slug at a more moderate velocity.

COR

Blackhawk
It took me some time to get out of my Magnum Mania craze...The added benefit of more velocity seems to end at trajectory, and not just with cast bullets either, a 240XTP will kill at 900fps quite effectively...Not too many animals can tell the difference in 200-300fps...especially if I it is dead.

No one can convince you it is better or worse or whatever...you just have to learn for yourself...Not a damn thing wrong with a 44Mag chambered gun...

One thing is for certain. Chicks dig a man with a 44Spl on his hip. It's science, I am just stating fact. The man that understands the classiness of the 44Spl just simply gets it. The 45 Colt is my second favorite for sure, but every cowboy has one of those.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
BearStopper":1j3p9hf1 said:
jpickar":1j3p9hf1 said:
The package not the caliber. I understand that.

I have a SBH SS with the rounded triggerguard. It is my first Ruger 44 mag as the square triggerguard just was not comforatable for me to shoot.

So is my 44 different size cylinder frame than my 357 Blackhawk?

John
It is my understanding that all New Model 357 Blackhawks are indeed on the large cylinder frame same as a Super Blackhawk, whereas the Old Model 357 Blackhawk is on the medium cylinder frame identical in size to the 44 special Blackhawk.
Except for the 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk, which is the new "mid frame", and is the frame the .44 Special is built upon. Just to clear up any latent confusion...

Elmer promoted the idea of converting the OM mid frame guns into .44 Special to provide a bigger bang in a lighter gun. People wanted this for years, and many an OM Ruger was converted. Ruger finally listened (to Lipseys...) and produced one.

I love the .44 Special round. It's very comfortable to shoot, very accurate, economical for a big bore, and all that. OTOH, on this "weight / packability" thing, my Lipseys .44 weights about 3oz less than my stainless Bisley .45 Colt convertible. Both 5.5" guns. Hardly an Earth shattering difference.

-- Sam

Rclark

Hunter
The .44 Spl and the .45 Colt will do about 85% of what really needs doing
... Stir the pot.... Where exactly did the 85% come from? Sure it's not 84 or 91.2? My math mind wants to know :) . The .45 Colt in 'my' mind does 100% of what I use it for :) . No need to go down to the .43 Special and only get 85% ;) .

I really think the .43 Special is well liked is because it can be shot from a smaller platform yet perform very well. It is supposed to be accurate, and most people can handle it. Doesn't hurt is was/is was a favorite of Keith, Skeeter, and Taffin and others. So a nostalgia thing.... Of course nostalgia pretty much extends itself to most calibers today... including the .45 Colt .. my favorite.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Very accurate loads in .44 Special can be handloaded with a minimal amount of gunpowder. When you buy one pound of a particular powder, it can last a very long time when reloading .44 Specials instead of .44 Magnums (or some other cartridges too).

The .44 Special's straight case wall is easy on reloading too. The fact that it's not as long as the .44 Magnum also means its straight case is less prone to crumpling. Reloaded .44 Magnum cases with hot loads tend to stretch the brass, requiring resized, and then wearing out the cases that much quicker. I've been reloading the same Cowboy Action handloads in .44 Special now for 10 years. They don't even need to be resized.

I truly adore my Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special. It is the most perfect size for my big hands and is perfectly balanced for me.

Here's a pic of my Blackhawk with a Q&A from Skeeter Skelton circa 1986:

Skeeter008.jpg

jpickar

Blackhawk
Boy fellas there are some nice looking six guns there. 8)

So the 44 special can be loaded into a smaller frame revolver .................... doesn't it have more felt recoil then?
Wouldn't a large frame revolver be the ticket for the 44 Special for less felt recoil? Just trying to get the mindset that is prevailing here.

You guys sure have me curious about this caliber.

Thanks, John

c.r.

Single-Sixer
jpickar":qb8jkh7z said:
Boy fellas there are some nice looking six guns there. 8)

So the 44 special can be loaded into a smaller frame revolver .................... doesn't it have more felt recoil then?
Wouldn't a large frame revolver be the ticket for the 44 Special for less felt recoil? Just trying to get the mindset that is prevailing here.

You guys sure have me curious about this caliber.

Thanks, John

Howdy John,

The idea of using the "medium frame" platform for the 44 special is its ease of hauling around on your hip. just a smaller package, but with a good performing cartridge that when using reasonable loads (~950 fps) is still pleasant to shoot.

Some folks will argue that Ruger's current flattops weigh almost as much as an SBH......this is true..........BUT, they balance so much better.

here's my 4 5/8" barreled 44 special conversion on a NM flattop
Harton44spec1_1.jpg

Here's my 4" barreled 44 spec. conversion on an Old Model Blackhawk (this one has an aluminum grip frame). this is a nice little packing gun.

DSCN0309-1.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
jpickar,, if you were closer,, I'd take you out & let you feel & try both of mine. Heck, you are closer to sixshot,, get with him & try one. You'll understand.
I was once of the mindset that as long as I had a 44 mag,, I could use the spls easily & not worry about a different gun. However,, in the back of my noggin,, I kept remembering Skeeter,, Elmer,, etc,, and wondered,,, a bit. Then I purchased a Bowen converted OM 357 Flattop to 44 spl. It was beautiful, and I couldn't bring myself to shoot it. A good friend wanted it badly,, so we made a trade,, and we were both happy. Then I heard about the Lipsey's spl. Well, it fit my thoughts as a way to get into one w/o a lot of expense,,,! I now own 2 of them,, and it just feels "right" in my hands,, when I shoot it,, and carrying.
I love them! (Now I kinda wish I'd kept the Bowen!)

jpickar

Blackhawk
Thanks, Contender, that is a nice offer. I guess I just have to shoot one to really understand it. You all make sense to me from what you are saying.

But here is my thought, If I'm packing, I'm packing a S&W 629 44 mag. , 4" for protection against bears, lions and wolves(I haven't run into wolves yet). But then you could say why don't I get a 460 S&W or a 480 Ruger and I can say I could carry a 870 with a slug barrel on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But to shoot a 44 Special for fun I can see that. I guess I just have to try one sometime. Where I live I just feel I need to carry the biggest gun I can handle. This 44 Special is intriging to me.

John

jpickar

Blackhawk
Big Muddy,

Now you went and done it. You said the most "justified" word in gun owners vocabulary "need". :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys might just talk me into "needing" another gun!

John

Cholo

Staff member
jpickar, you started a topic I almost did when all the hooplah started.

I bought my 1st OM Flattop 6 1/2" .357 with the intent of using it as a donor gun for a Bowen .44 Special. I actually talked to Hamilton about what I wanted. There was a simple fly in the ointment and "The days go by..." Tequila Sunrise.

Ruger offers a Lipsey .44 Special. I thought I found my dream gun, but it wasn't to be, it weighed too much. :cry: I couldn't see buying a NM .44 Special that weighed just a few tiny ounces less than what I already had and considerably more that my aluminum grip framed OM .44 Flattop. I wanted a NM .44 Special that would save an OM FT from conversion.

I love all the excitement of the new .44 Special! It also seems their quality is quite a bit above their other SA's. I'm tickled pink, and I havn't had an extended stay in the Maricopa, AZ prison, that it's selling like hotcakes! I just wish they'd make it with an aluminum grip frame.

Till then... I'll take Contender's advice that I have to experience it to believe it. I don't give a rat's azz about balance and a smaller package. Weight vs. caliber is what I look at. I like a gun that hangs muzzle heavy, though I have to admit those 4" blah blah Specials look mighty fine to me 😉

contender

Ruger Guru
jpickar, you live in an area that the "need" for a heavier caliber MIGHT give you the edge. (44 mag vs 44 spl.) But,, no wolf, or lion can digest a good cast keith 44 slug from a spl & not get it's butt kicked. A black bear isn't gonna like it one bit either. A griz,, well, that may be another matter. But,, having handled & shot a few of the S&W 44's in 4" & owning a couple of the Ruger 44 spls,, I can say that in MY hands & MY way of packing,, the Ruger feels a bit better. So,, as you so obviously have noted,, you "need" another gun!
And, if you are like Cholo,, & want to lighten it up a bit,, a grip frame swap is an easy thing to do,,,!

Dave T

Single-Sixer
Disclaimer: The following is posted in fun, rather than being an Adam Henry.

Fine with me if a lot of you folks don't get the lure of the 44 Special. There's too few of the good, old ones around. If you don't get it that leaves more for those of us who do.

Dave