What do you think of the Ruger Amercan

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kenneth L. Walters

Single-Sixer
I've resisted buying one of these. Not sure but I have. But now that they have a scoped model out, http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRedfield/models.html, I'm really tempted. So just how good a rifle are these?

Jim Puke

Hunter
They are as good as anything else in the entry level market segment that they play in.

You just have to remember that this segment is the cheapest rifles that you can buy and they all lack frills, but will fill the role as good hunting rifles. If I were looking in this price range, I would buy the Stevens 200, only because I can do a caliber change for it at home.

admin100

Bearcat
i have two now a 308 compact and just got my 223 yesterday, both shoot sub MOA. what else do you want from a rifle?? i have rifles that were hundreds more that dont shoot nearly as well.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
admin100 said:
i have two now a 308 compact and just got my 223 yesterday, both shoot sub MOA. what else do you want from a rifle?? i have rifles that were hundreds more that dont shoot nearly as well.
What bullets did you try in the 223 ?

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
Since they are coming out with the stainless models, I too am thinking of buying one. Compared to a Hawkeye, what is one sacrificing? From the comments, not accuracy.

I assume the OP was referring to the center-fire models.

But, it continues to interest me in the rimfire models. I know it's a bargain basement bolt gun, but I'm really interested in buying one in rimfire. I've owned many different bolt action rimfires, from low end to med-high end guns, and I've yet to see any of them that were a big enough improvement in accuracy over a 10/22 to keep them, considering the double or triple price tag. So, I will try out one of these rimfire Americans, if I ever see one. Like just about anything that interests me, the local dealers don't stock what I want and I'd have to get one on-line.

WAYNO.

kooz

Blackhawk
I bought one of the compacts in .308 for my daughter, .5 MOA right out of the box with factory loaded Nosler 165gr Accubonds. I just picked one up for myself in 3006, but have not got to the range with it yet. The only thing that is "entry level" about these guns is the price.

I don't own one but I witnessed one at my local gun range. Rifle (.308) was a gift to this guy from his wife. He needed help getting a scope mounted. Next to me was very experience shooter who helped him with it. After getting it sighted in, he shot 3 groups of 3 rounds. All three groups were MOA at 100 yards. Ammo was Hornady Match 168 gr. Great shooting rifle.

Kenneth L. Walters

Single-Sixer
admin100 said:

OK. I'm confused. So if the American is so good, and I don't doubt that it is, what more do you get when you buy something like the Savage 12 VLP DBM (http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM) other than increased cost?

Bearhands

Bearcat
what more do you get when you buy something like the Savage 12 VLP DBM

From what I see... a stainless fluted barrel, laminate wood stock with "accustock".... no scope bases price tag(MSRP) of $600 more (I'd buy another something with that)... and 4 more pounds to lug around. LOL

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
With the American you get your money's worth and then some. I predict the rifle will be a mainstay in the Ruger line for a long, long time. Oh, one thing you can't tell from the numbers and pictures is how well it feels in the hand and how well balanced it is. "Entry level"? Think again.

gunman42782

Hunter
WAYNO said:

But, it continues to interest me in the rimfire models. I know it's a bargain basement bolt gun, but I'm really interested in buying one in rimfire. I've owned many different bolt action rimfires, from low end to med-high end guns, and I've yet to see any of them that were a big enough improvement in accuracy over a 10/22 to keep them, considering the double or triple price tag. So, I will try out one of these rimfire Americans, if I ever see one. Like just about anything that interests me, the local dealers don't stock what I want and I'd have to get one on-line.

WAYNO.
Wayno, I have the full size .22LR, and other than the bolt being a tad rough, have been very impressed with it. I actually bought it so I would not shoot my 10/22 so much cause ammo is so dang hard to find and expensive now when you do. Figured it would slow mw down. I put a Nikon 3-9x40 on it and at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity it will do less than an inch groups quite handily. Even the cheaper stuff grouped well for me.

gunman42782 said:
WAYNO said:

WAYNO.
Wayno, I have the full size .22LR, and other than the bolt being a tad rough, have been very impressed with it. I actually bought it so I would not shoot my 10/22 so much cause ammo is so dang hard to find and expensive now when you do. Figured it would slow mw down. I put a Nikon 3-9x40 on it and at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity it will do less than an inch groups quite handily. Even the cheaper stuff grouped well for me.

That is what I've hoped to hear. :mrgreen:

Thanks.
WAYNO.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Kenneth L. Walters said:
Nomosendero said:
admin100 said:
Nomosendero!! i got my best groups with a Sierra 69gr HPBT over 24gr of Varget, 0.717in 3 shot group at 100yds
Thanks

Can anyone recommend a bullet and Varget charge for the 308 version?

For a hunting load I use the 165 Speer Boat Tail, Win Brass, CCI BR primers & 45 gr. Varget. That is max in some Manuals, not in others but work up slowly. It get 3/4" groups with that load in 2 RAR 308's & I took a nice Buck and a Hog with that load, worked very well!