What do y'all think about the .458 Lott?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barrett93

Single-Sixer
I have the opportunity to purchase a nice Ruger No.1 in .458 Lott. It's a damn fine looking rifle, stainless with the gray laminate furniture. It also comes with a set of Redding .458 Lott dies and enough cases and bullets to keep me shooting for a very long time.

What I don't know is much of anything about the cartridge. I do know that I can take off to Africa and take on the "Big 5" with the cartridge and not have to worry if it's man enough. However, I don't have any plans on a Safari anywhere in my foreseeable future (probably never in my future ). It's probably going to just be a toy to show off and let my buddies shoot. I just want any input from anyone who owns one, has owned one, has shot one or just generally knows something about it. Thanks guys!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
All I know is the Lott will kick like a mule!! You can also run 458 win mag in it. And if you reload , you can load it to any level you want from full house loads to mild 45/70 equivelent loads.

I know one person with one and its a No.1. While running some 500 grain loads thru it the stock broke! Ruger fixed it all up and blamed faulty wood , not the brutal 500 grainers! :lol:

Rock

Bearcat
Last year I purchased a wonderful book titled (African Dangerous Game Cartridges) authored by Pierre van der Walt. This book is available on Amazon in a Kindle version which allows you to read it with a free app on your I-pad – PC and of course the Kindle. The cost is $10.00 U.S. the hardback version is around $85.00 U.S.

I have not in recent memory read a more interesting and informative book regarding cartridges and the history of the famous African calibers. For any of us that love hunting guns and calibers this is a must read book.

Mr. Walt in brief had this to say about the 458 Lott; the Lott has about 10% more case volume than the 458 Winchester and generally the cartridge delivers about 125 fps with heavy bullets and 150 fps with mid weight bullets over the 458 Winchester. If one is intrigued by the 458 Winchester you will be in love with the 458 Lott. Mr. Walt had loading data and bullet selection regarding this caliber.

No-1

Single-Sixer
It was said some of the early 458 rounds didn't reach advertised velocity - or didn't fire efficently/or at all due to compressed powder charge. The Lott was the answer. I bought a No1 in 458 Win Mag last year. I've loaded up some rounds in the 3/4 power range. One of these days I'll take it out and shoot it - if it's too much the second loading will be along 45-70 lines.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
BIG MEDICINE
If you have the extra cash buy it. What could it hurt besides your shoulder.
Is it a good deal?

DC Plumber

Bearcat
To answer your question, the Lott us a lot of gun and will probably be tons of fun.

I bought a a Number One Tropical .458 WinMag about 10 years ago, used. I load all power levels for it. I used mild loads and used it fir deer hunting one year, bagging a nice little buck at 65 yards. Crazy? No more crazy than using a 50 caliber muzzle loader. It worked great and made me rethink hunting. Big bores are neat to a lot of folks. Some like small bores at 4000 fps. Some like big fat chunks of lead moving much slower.

If it turns your crank, buy it. I paid $500 for my well worn .458 10 years ago. Doubt you'll get yours anywhere that cheap, but sounds like this is for fun so if it's affordable, do it.

Good luck.

jdr308

Single-Sixer
I don't have a 458 Lott but I do have a 458win mag in the #1. It can be fun with the 300-350gr range and an absolute head turner with full bore 500gr! I haven't had the balls to try anything heavier than that. If you get it you and your buddies will have a good time with it.

jsh

Single-Sixer
As mentioned it isn't for the recoil senitive with full tilt loads.
You want somthing to play with it can be fun. Get some trail boss and some 5-550 grain cast and it is a hoot. FYI the trail boss will teach you follow through.
And no it is not funny to stick a full tilt round in there on an unsuspecting victim. Especially if scoped.
A friend of a friend has a lot and a 416. Bought them both for $800. Came with two boxes of am of for each. There was two out of a box of the 416 and one out of the Lott.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
If the .458 Lott is anything like the .458 WM I HAD in a No 1 it did not shoot cast bullets worth a damn. I did get gas checked bullets to pattern 4" at 25 yds (many sideways) but they leaded the barrel horribly in less than 10 shots. Tried everything I and many other experienced cast bullet shooters and no luck. The chamber would place the base of a 500gr cast bullet 0.062 in FRONT of a case the throat was so long. Shot jacketed bullets great though.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Sounds like a fun fun, I use trail boss in my 45/70 and love it.
If you get it keep it shoot it and enjoy!

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I think it was developed for a problem that no longer exists. That being over pressure problems with very early .458 Win mag factory ammo in tropical heat. I would not care to do a benchrest session with either one though, my 6.5 lb .45/70 Handi beats me up enough with 500 gr bullets! :lol:

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
Buy it.
Load for it.
Shoot it.
Have fun.
Your shoulder only gets sore if your not flowing with the recoil.
Hands tight holding it into your shoulder.
Relax everything else.
Enjoy the ride.
Fear nothing that walks the earth. :)

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
MIshooter said:
If the .458 Lott is anything like the .458 WM I HAD in a No 1 it did not shoot cast bullets worth a damn. I did get gas checked bullets to pattern 4" at 25 yds (many sideways) but they leaded the barrel horribly in less than 10 shots. Tried everything I and many other experienced cast bullet shooters and no luck. The chamber would place the base of a 500gr cast bullet 0.062 in FRONT of a case the throat was so long. Shot jacketed bullets great though.

I was told by Penn Bullets to make sure to completely scrub the copper from the bore before shooting lead.
I loaded up some 375gr spitzers and I'll get out to the range asap with my #1 in 458 Winny.
When I rebarrel with one 34" long I might go Lott.
We hunt with fishing rods in South Florida.

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
Trust me, you are not going to shoot very many 500gr full house loads in it. It is way too much for the style of the #1 and barely acceptable in the heavier RSM. I had one so I speak from experience, and fired just two rounds before sending it off to another sucker for abuse. I did keep the RSM though.