WHAT DO YA THINK?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I took the big ol' Hogues off of my new 5" GP100, and installed a set of factory grips from a 454 SRH. I think they look much better, and I don't think the Hogues are really needed on a 357.

EarlFH

357GP100004.jpg

357GP100005.jpg

357GP100006.jpg

357GP100008.jpg

Looks great! Are you going to keep the grips or swap them out for something different? (I'm just not a fan of the Houge grips.) I do think you're right about the barrel length though...

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Kevin":6cfl3osq said:
Looks great! Are you going to keep the grips or swap them out for something different? (I'm just not a fan of the Houge grips.) I do think you're right about the barrel length though...

Haven't decided yet. I'll have to try it out, and see. I usually like the Hogues for shooting, but they don't look as good as nice wooden ones.

Earl.

jpickar

Blackhawk
The 5" barrel is a very awkward barrel length. To short ofr target shooting. To long to carry comfortably. You need to sell it to me and I will deal with it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice find there. I wish it were mine.

John

RickH

Bearcat
I got one of the 5" GP100 from Davidson's last run. For me it is the perfect length and my most accurate handgun. Another Ruger fan handled mine and thought I had a trigger job done, then he offered to buy it. The only thing I have done was get the older style GP100 factory rubber grips with the wood insert and a red ramp front sight from Ruger. I'll never part with it and hope you like yours as much as I do mine.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
RickH":2dyq9ti3 said:
I got one of the 5" GP100 from Davidson's last run. For me it is the perfect length and my most accurate handgun. Another Ruger fan handled mine and thought I had a trigger job done, then he offered to buy it. The only thing I have done was get the older style GP100 factory rubber grips with the wood insert and a red ramp front sight from Ruger. I'll never part with it and hope you like yours as much as I do mine.

Yeh, mine seems to have a pretty good trigger for right out of the factory. I've got a pair of the old style grips from a SRH, with the dark wood inserts. That might look good against the stainless finish. I'll have to try them out. Is that red ramp front sight, a solid plastic, or with the red inserted into a metal sight? I'm going to have to check out their website. Did you get a 20% off certificate with your's?

Earl.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Earl, those rock. Nice balancing in that 5" GP you got there.

My GP100 is less than a year old and has a fantastic trigger.

Good luck with the GP. Rugers are a wonderful hand-me-down, because you can hand them down.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
I agree with you all. The newest Hogue grips are ugly and not needed on a 357 cal.

I always suspected that Ruger did the switch from the old grips just to save a few $$$. Ruger must know that the old grips are better, they still sell them at SHOPRUGER.COM.

Dave

CraigC

Hawkeye
Looks better and should be more comfortable. I really don't know why anybody likes Hogue's, for anything. I find the ambidextrous palm swells to be more irritating than ten crying babies.

Terry T

Buckeye
For a 'working gun', it's not how they look but how they feel and how they help you hit the target. Pretty is as Pretty does.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

jpickar

Blackhawk
For my S&W's I use Hogues for every shooter I have. They fit me the best of all the grips I have tried.

John

Snake45

Hawkeye
Looks better now, and I bet it feels better, too. Hogues never felt right to me. :?

maxpress

Buckeye
i have shied away from buying rugers with the houges on them just because i know i am going to immediatly replace them. my fingers dont fit where the goves tell them to go and dont fit inside the "finger indents" so i am much less accurate with houges on. much less that it makes the gun somehow feel twice as big in a hip holster.

in short that would be the right choice for me.