Old Army Re-do

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Is that a stainless Old Army or a blued one polished down to bare metal ??? Looks like stainless in the pics ….

G2

Hunter
Thank you to all for the compliments and suggestions.

The gun is/was a Blue gun, I recall rugerguy stated; started to fix it and then he and his customer made the decision to sell it off as parts, IIRC $200. (2012)
They started cleaning up the cylinder the reason it looks better in picture 2. Re-Blue the cylinder, it would be worth the $200.
Old Army's we're just starting to rise in price, not where they are now.

Browning; This gun will be going Deep Chocolate Brown.
Plum Brown is what Birchwood Casey calls their browning solution, it's ok.
I use Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown & Degreaser. It produduces a darker thicker deep brown. It's amazing, forgiving and WORKS.

You can even use it to rust blue by doing one more step… boiling & dipping in distilled water. For the home gunsmith it's works way better than anything that is cold blue or quick blue. Labor intensive yes, but this is the process that old world Rust Blued guns used.

Lots of good reading/ education available. Shop a bit, prices vary dramatically. I will leave a link,

Brown, Brass, & Stag … good stuff.😁
Lots of hours of handwork on this project, it's the process that I really enjoy. Thanks again.

Last edited:

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Nice job on saving that Old Army.
I saw one at a show years ago that was in worse, much worse condition.
The low price stopped me and then I REALLY looked it over.
Deep, deep pitting all over the frame, barrel and worse, the cylinder.
I doubt it was safe to shoot or even could be unless the cylinder was replaced.
Some folks seem to think stainless steel means NO maintenance required and not stains less.

Latest posts