We've seen the recent bear story, but what if...?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would he have killed the bear w/a single action?

• Yes, the SA would have been just as quick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, he would have been bear scat

• Wouldn't have made any dif'

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maxpress

Buckeye
situation like that if you could replay it over and over, say virtual reality or something we would probably loose as much as we won 50% of the time no matter how we were armed as long as it was sufficient caliber.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I have no experience with bear, but I know from experience that even a S&W29 44 Magnum will climb when rapid fired. 3 shots from a 454 out of a 2 1/2" barrrel sounds like major league climb to me and I dont see how those shots could have been aimed. Could it be that the last shot was fired upwards into the bears head? That seems to be the Alaskans forte, up close and personal with Mr. Griz, who seems to attack in the manner of an overgrown mugger. CCW licensees usually carry a short double action revolver for self defense against muggers, so if Mr. Bear attacks in the manner of a mugger, the the double action feature makes sence.

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
I find that the single action points like your finger points. Unless you have tons of practice with a DA, you will not have that advantage. In my opinion the first shot will be much faster and more accurate when done with speed. Second shot depends on the shooter and his experience with the weapon he is carrying. Because of my experience with the single action, maybe 400,000 rounds, I feel that I can get off the second shot as fast as I can with the DA and more accurately, but it is a matter of practice and experience. With no experience, I would probably carry the double action. My opinion only of course, Hank.

americal

Hunter
ONE thing I do know ADRENELINE 8) 8) is a great substance--combat experience--after event over mind can play tricks on A person :? :?

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
I should add that if you have enough practice to where it becomes one with your body and is done without thought, your chances are much better. Reflex usually overcomes the rest. Hank.

David Sinko

Bearcat
DA and SA are equally fast for the first shot. After the first shot, the DA revolver is the speed king. Ed McGivern did a tremendous amount of speed shooting with both action types and proved this beyond any doubt. You can read all about it in Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting. The variable that changes everything in this bear scenario is the brutal power and recoil of the load that was used. A 350 gr. bullet at .454 Casull velocities is no joke and can easily injure the shooting hand of even experienced shooters if the shooting grip is less than perfect, especially if a standard Blackhawk grip frame is used. The fastest way to shoot both action types WITH HEAVY LOADS would be from the hip, which affords greater leverage and control. Besides, it's the only practical method in an emergency scenario.

So then... Who wants to break out the revolvers, heavy .454 Casull ammo and the shot timer? I'm sure the results would be both interesting and excruciatingly painful.

Dave Sinko

Knuckles

Buckeye
I shot the SRH 454 once!... it nearly broke my big thumb knuckle... HEY' "KNUCKLES" ... get it? :mrgreen:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
I shoot a Ruger alaskan in 454 and double action I'd put my money on the bear. I've always pretty much shot revolvers single action regardless of their action style though. Plus I have been shooting 240,250 grain jacketed bullets with lil'gun powder. Just loaded up ten rounds of 325 cast performance bullets with 25.5 grains of 296. Should be fun. :shock: Probably wouldn't have too worry about shooting a griz. I think I would probably die from fright long before the bear got to me. I've only seen them in zoos and can't image seeing one loose. Heck I've never felt comfortable cutting through cattle fields out mushroom hunting even with permission from the farmer.