Well....I'm confused!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
Not new to loading...if fact been loading for quite some time and came across a situation that has me a bit snowed.

I went to the range a couple of days ago and took my 45 Colt Vaquero (original large frame) and my Ruger Convertible Blackhawk in 45 Colt/acp.

Took about 50 rounds of home brew 45 Colt..mixed cases...Win. LPP..Missouri #4 hightech coated bullets (bhn 12) which I shoot all the time in my 45 Colt revovlers....loaded with a moderate load of Trail Boss...all had my normal COL and crimp...

I always get some sooting with the lighter loads of Trail Boss and no different with the Vaquero...shot great...light recoil...accurate and little smoke (coated bullets)...The sooting was as it normally is...and that's not the issue.

The cases from the 45Colt cylinder on the Blackhawk shooting the same ammo (just picked at random) were clean as a whistle...no sooting on the cases...I had done a "push through" cylinder throat test on both the Vaquero and the Blackhawk cylinders and the bullets just ease through both very nicely and evenly...Crimp was the same...every thing the same...accuracy the same...recoil and boom/flash the same (no chrono).

Why in the world would I see a less sooting in the blackhawk cylinder shooting than in the Vaquero? I have 3 other 45 Colt revolvers and shoot this same load all the time and they all soot a little...I'm sure the sooting is because of the lighter loads using Trail Boss is not sealing completely...and that is no big deal...I've shot a boat load of this load and since I clean things well after every trip it's not a big thing. The only difference is that the Blackhawk is blued and the Vaquero is a high polish Stainless..might it be that the cylinder throats in one of the cylinders is rougher or smoother that the other??

I'm just a bit in wonder as to why the cases from the Blackhawk were so clean??

Any thoughts?

Thanks

gster

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
The chambers in the Blackhawk are just a tiny bit tighter and smoother making a better seal. :D
I agree...a tiny bit can make a big difference.