Now, I'm not saying ya'll are correct, but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've had several issues with reloading, time and time again ya'll have told me to sort brass before reloading. That is a complete and total pain in the arse! I got cross-eyed looking at all those head-stamps on the cases. But, and I'm not saying it worked, but I didn't exactly have any troubles either at the reloading bench or the range last Saturday... :D

So perhaps I might be inclined to say thank you, would that sorting cases might have helped :roll: Not saying that it solved my problems per se, but if it did...Well...

By the by, these are the two guns in question...Both 9mm. I sorted cases for each, which now that they are sorted, is pretty straight forward to keep separate.

4EBqGJrl.jpg

And the GP will put a smile on your face everytime you pull the trigger. What a sweet, sweet tigger, double or single action, makes no difference.... And the grip with its balance! My-oh-My!!!

Below is a Dan Wesson Vigil with a Trijicon RMR red dot. Another gun with a super nice trigger.

So, thank you all.... :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
Kevin.... I only own one 9mm gun (1911).... so my brass is just my own re-used stuff. I would expect that sorting 9mm 'range pick-up' brass would be worthwhile because I've found that there is a difference in brass fired from 'supported' vs. 'non-supported' barrels (not brands per se); and it does effect my reloading/reloads. Beyond that, I have to say in 50 yrs of reloading, I've never sorted my brass for my handguns; and that includes bazzillions of rounds of range pick-up brass (45 Colt; 45 ACP; 38/357 etc etc). Never really had any probs. reloading, or shooting my handloads other than a very rare failure to fire (usually poorly seated primer). Contrary to most reloading methods, I almost never even trim my handgun brass. Rifle brass for woodchuck hunting is a different story..... I'm very anal with those.
J

Well, I loaded up some 357's yesterday. A while back I bought 500 cases of starline 357 and 38's, for consistency. However, the 357's yesterday were some mixed brass I've had for a while.

It was clean and ready to go, so I used it.

Some were hard to seat primers, others easy. It got to be so I could tell what brand it was just by seating the primers. Same with seating the bullets. You could just tell if the case was taller or shorter by how the bullet was seated.

I won't reuse this brass.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I was lucky in that I learned about sorting brass before I started reloading. I was shooting silhouette and using factory ammo. Federals were my go to. Cheap at the time, but great on rams. I shot a bit more one weekend than planned. This range held one match per day so you could double up in a weekend, and I had to hit the store for more ammo. They only had R-P. All was good until turkeys. Then I was down a click. When I got to rams I was down about 6 or 8 clicks! Both were 240 JHP loads.

Come time to start reloading (and learning) I remembered the difference and kept them separate. When I took some out to test they shot different too. That's when I learned to separate and weight cases.

Latest posts