Watch out for the pigs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Between 2014 and 2023, the average annual number of fatal shark attacks worldwide was 5.8 vs. 19.7 fatal wild pig attacks. In 2024 alone, there have already been seven deaths from wild pig incidents. Chris Bennett shares the sobering realities of the growing wild pig population.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Between 2014 and 2023, the average annual number of fatal shark attacks worldwide was 5.8 vs. 19.7 fatal wild pig attacks. In 2024 alone, there have already been seven deaths from wild pig incidents. Chris Bennett shares the sobering realities of the growing wild pig population.

Lot's of Chris Bennetts. Got a link?

Not surprised by that. USDA tracks the National population, and it keeps spreading every year. Here's what it looked like in 2023, and previous years.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Forget California unless you pay a guide. Very little opportunity unless you know where to go! Most productive ranches (Dye Creek, those in the Parkfield area, Monterey, Benito, and San Luis Obispo & King counties are leased to guides). Santa Barbara County is steep, hot, and, to quote fellow guide, "Everything bites=even the plants". I don't know of any sizeable herds in Ventura County. Lompoc, near Vandenberg AFB has some but, again, the private land is sewn up pretty tight. Most of the pigs in Los Angeles are in the Lebec area on the Tejon Ranch. They have their own Game Manager-it is the largest ranch in California!

Ft Hunter-Liggett is good in some areas and the Military does allow seasonal hunting depending on training requirements. Camping is available in Los Padres National Forest but campsites will be taken early. Beware of live ordnance! Roads may be impassably muddy and it will cost you $$$$$ if you get stuck (I did in my FJ40=when you get stuck in a Landcruiser, you ARE stuck!! Took 2 days and $300 to get unstuck!)

Stockdale Mountain has a pretty good herd(s) of wild pigs, as well as blacktail deer and Tule elk (no hunting elk w/o special permit). Stockdale is a LONG hike in (no vehicle access) and summer & early fall temps may be well over 100F. Winters can be well below freezing all day. Private landowners in the are will report trespassers and guides will also report anyone who ventures off the trail! In just one year of guiding in Parkfield, we busted 58 "hunters" illegally hunting. Success will mean packing your trophy on your back for miles! Also, the serpentine soil in the area contains asbestos. We'd patrol the roads each morning (we used the ranch for camping, bird hunting, etc.) and we'd encounter trespassers. When we came up, they'd toss their rifle or bow into the ravine and claim they were just out for a morning walk (No campsite or lodge for 6-10miles!). We'd simply walk back along the road until we found a bow or a rifle. They would claim it wasn't theirs, so we'd simply smash it against a tree.

BLM Warning:
"Private property surrounds Stockdale Mountain. Do not enter through private gates or fences. Access to the public lands at Stockdale Mountain is only by foot at the BLM Access Point and parking/staging area located at the north end (dead-end) of Slacks Canyon Road. Do not stop and trespass onto private property while on Slacks Canyon Road. There is no access to public lands at Stockdale Mountain from Indian Valley Road or Big Sandy Road."

Temperatures in general are only pleasant in the Spring and Fall. Winters are cold and/or damp and foggy. Summers hot and dry. Rattlesnakes abound.

Last edited:
Tejon Ranch is an interesting outfit. They really, really need to control the pig population. But they insist you pay them and use their guide to hunt them. One reason they use is they want to protect their livestock. I hunted it once on an invite. Didn't cost me anything which was a good thing. The Guide couldn't find his butt with both hands and a flashlight at high noon. I figured they were probably scamming more than a few hunters.

I was successful at Hunter Liggett. It's been a few years so things may have changed. But, they seriously limited the number of hunters, and you had to come in after a certain time and leave before a certain time. Still, there were A LOT of pigs.

Los Padres National Forest is separated in two parts. The lower part (the previously mentioned LeBec / Frazier Park from the 5 freeway to the coast) has some but I've never had any luck there. The northern part has been more productive for me. But be aware, where the pigs are ain't for the weak. And, some of them get down right testy when you disturb their naps.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Tejon Ranch is an interesting outfit. They really, really need to control the pig population. But they insist you pay them and use their guide to hunt them. One reason they use is they want to protect their livestock. I hunted it once on an invite. Didn't cost me anything which was a good thing. The Guide couldn't find his butt with both hands and a flashlight at high noon. I figured they were probably scamming more than a few hunters.

I was successful at Hunter Liggett. It's been a few years so things may have changed. But, they seriously limited the number of hunters, and you had to come in after a certain time and leave before a certain time. Still, there were A LOT of pigs.

Los Padres National Forest is separated in two parts. The lower part (the previously mentioned LeBec / Frazier Park from the 5 freeway to the coast) has some but I've never had any luck there. The northern part has been more productive for me. But be aware, where the pigs are ain't for the weak. And, some of them get down right testy when you disturb their naps.
I only hunted Tejon on a turkey hunt. The Game Manager at the time was son-in-law of a DFG Biologist I knew and had bred my first GSP. The Regional Director (friend to all of the above) of the Wild Turkey Federation got my wife a tag w/o going through the State drawing and special permission for me to call for her and video. We had a good shot lined up on the last morning until some yo yo tried to "sneak" up on one I was calling down from a roost. He slammed his car door, and the gobbler took off!

It's been 20 years since I hunted in Cali and at that time Tejon was trying to seriously eliminate the pigs, which were almost all east of I-5. I never got a pig at Hunter-Liggett myself, but both my brothers did. I did get several deer on special drawings on Hunter-Liggett and actually was drawn twice for Grizzly Island Tule elk hunts (got one cow and one 7x8 Bull, which is hanging on the wall at the local Sportsman's Warehouse). The bull fed us through my grad school years (along with a couple of pigs I took in the Parkfield area).

I really need to figure out a time and place to take my son hunting hogs... Already have the firepower, but no pigs in Utah...
The only pigs we have in NJ are the liberal idiots in Trenton. That aside, you mentioned you have the firepower and since I've never done any pig hunting will a .223 do the job or something more like a 30-30 is needed. Appreciate your reply.

The only pigs we have in NJ are the liberal idiots in Trenton. That aside, you mentioned you have the firepower and since I've never done any pig hunting will a .223 do the job or something more like a 30-30 is needed. Appreciate your reply.

A .223 to the noggin will do the job.

My brothers and I used to hunt them with 22 magnums using FMJ bullets. But that was before the internet.

Hogzillas do exist, but your chances of encountering one are slim, they don't get to be giants by being dumb.

.223 is more than enough for the typical pig if you hit the target.

I don't know if a .223 is the right gun, but this is what I have for them:

.450 Bushmaster w/ IR Scope (after taking this pic, I swapped the scope mount for a quick release cantilever and I have a red dot for daytime, also on a quick release)
1713438165296.png

Chiappa 1892 .44 Mag
1713437818840.png

A Ruger Scout in .450 Bushmaster that will arrive next week.

And for back up, two Blackhawks in .44mag:
1713437954108.png

1713438000385.png

mirglip

Single-Sixer
You have to work hard at it to get attacked by feral swine.

Ticks and chiggers worry me more than wild hogs in the woods.
You have to be vigilant when coming back to add corn to feeders and traps. I've had them stay right there in dense brush 40 yards from a trap. When they made threatening noises I dropped the sack and got the heck out of there.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I was once chased back to my truck by a sow with offspring while scouting on the ranch we hunted in Parkfield.. Didn't want to drop her because of the babies.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye

One of my neighbors owns several thousand acres in OK, which he leases out to a cattle rancher. That property has a growing pig population which he goes out to help control 2 or 3 times a year. His weapon of choice is a .308 AR10 equipped with thermal.